Japanese chefs knives

Scully

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

we all have our everyday favourite(s) don’t we; mine happens to be a €10 utility knife I bought in a hyper market

Very true.  I have a reasonable gathering of mid price German/French (Zwilling, Sabatier, Victorinox), but use an anonymous 'Sheffield Stainess' with a cheap plastic handle more that any other.  Not brilliant steel, but sharpens easily and slowly wearing away.  Cost probably around £2 many years ago.

10 hours ago, moondoggy said:

I really recommend to following book

Agreed, I have had a copy for maybe 10 years and it is good.  It has also helped sell me some of their knives.  The 'Professional S' range, which is rather traditionally shaped, works well for me.  They are sharpened at 15 degrees (per side).

On 04/01/2024 at 14:36, JohnfromUK said:

My father was VERY fussy about his knives, carving etc., but he had also grown up in a family with large stoneware meat dishes on which roast meats were served and carved.  he had been taught (by his father) to carve without letting the knife touch whatever the meat was standing on. 

Most people now carve 'downwards' towards the carving board, but my father's technique involved the meat (assuming a rolled type of cut standing 'on end' and held with a fork at 45 degrees into the side.  This meant cutting towards the (left) hand holding the fork and his forks all had hand guards.  It was apparently how Victorians and Edwardians used to carve in their ceramic dishes.  Modern carving forks don't seem to have these.  Photos show the carvers he used (red meat above and 'game' below) and the forks with the guards folded out.  The game carving knife is rather bent now.

6750DA96-53BA-4185-8C8B-7D221C8582A6_4_5005_c.jpeg

A750FFF4-ADE8-4743-B668-BB384B65EE83_4_5005_c.jpeg

An acrylic I did of a couple of mine, painted s few years ago. I called it ‘Sunday Roast 1965’. 
image.jpeg.0353eec6226e78266def84277392d089.jpeg

Picture is slightly out of focus for some reason! 🤷‍♂️

Annoying. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

An acrylic I did of a couple of mine, painted s few years ago. I called it ‘Sunday Roast 1965’. 

Lovely.  Mine are Joseph Rogers and marked G👑R, which I'm guessing is George V.

Needless to say my wife thinks I’m crackers.

We don’t use the Kai Shun knives (circled in red).

Scully if you have need of any drop me a PM. I bought them off here years ago - from a pro chef Ddanby (?). Quality knives and far too good for our household.

IMG_6157.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Annoying. 

Will take art and cash in PX 😆

Mine are currently from procook, excellent steel and reasonable price, maintains a good edge for a fair while and sharpens easily. Nice to use. I do have a sabatier boning knife that's very good and a cheap and cheerful plastic filet knife for Pigeons. None go in the dishwasher and I have removed my wife's chopping blocks as she likes to ruin the edge as soon as they are sharpened, I think she'd rub them on a brick if she had the chance. 

On 06/01/2024 at 16:59, Mungler said:

Needless to say my wife thinks I’m crackers.

We don’t use the Kai Shun knives (circled in red).

Scully if you have need of any drop me a PM. I bought them off here years ago - from a pro chef Ddanby (?). Quality knives and far too good for our household.

IMG_6157.jpeg

Will take art and cash in PX 😆

😄 Wow! That’s an impressive selection/collection! 
Thanks for the offer, will see what he thinks. 👍

On 06/01/2024 at 16:36, Scully said:

Annoying. 

Wow If you hadn't have said Acrylic I would have accepted it as another photo, You are lucky to have such a talent. I guess you attended art college ?. [ I remember the OXO tins, very handy 😎]

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

Wow If you hadn't have said Acrylic I would have accepted it as another photo, You are lucky to have such a talent. I guess you attended art college ?. [ I remember the OXO tins, very handy 😎]

Thanks IG. No, no college unfortunately, just decades of trial and error. 

• 2 weeks later...