23 minutes ago, BrowningDJC said:

The little 410 seems to be more popular than ever, but going forward is there really a viable non toxic alternative to lead other than TSS? 

Not on cost, Bismuth £1.50 a pop and the very limited amount of steel is £1.00 a pop.  A massive vote of thanks to BASC (not!) 

Tss cannot really be considered a viable alternative to lead ,its too expensive and guns need more protection from its hardness than any other alternative ,some home loaders use 2 plastic wads and a neoprene over shot card ,which as we all should know by now is very bad for the environment , steel and Bismuth both work well in the 410 .Also tss patterns very very tightly some times making it unusable for any thing but long range shooting.

Some will be able to afford bismuth, some will be able to load TSS but there will be many people who will not be able to afford £1.70+ a cartridge. Many youngsters for example who start shooting with an old .410. Steel would seem to be the main thing to use but there's currently no .410 steel cartridges available nationally and you can't even buy components to reload them. Then there's the question of steel and choke, many .410s have a full choke and it'll not be worth opening them up. Then there's the question of modded .410s.

One thing that's annoying is the latest HSE consultation suggested a shorter time before lead shot is banned due to the 'voluntary' move away from lead. I'm not sure many of the orgs and government care about .410s.

I use a couple of old 2.5" . 410s for ratting and had wondered about tin shot or even copper shot. I know tin shot received a negative reaction but I wonder if it would work out to say 10m or so for ratting?

Can buy steel for it but only 10g ones.

If we loose lead then I’d just use mine with the sticks of lead I’d buy before :)

If not then I’d use Bismuth or get rid before.

Go to Denmark where lead is banned and has been for a few decades you find no small calibres except for shooters who travel abroad or the wealthy who use bismuth z

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Can buy steel for it but only 10g ones.

Can you tell us what make and where? Are they 3" ?

Round here it's not that easy to get lead cartridges, let alone steel. Just Cartridges doesn't stock any steel or and non-lead 2.5" lead free cartridges so no use for my old guns.

21 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Can you tell us what make and where? Are they 3" ?

Round here it's not that easy to get lead cartridges, let alone steel. Just Cartridges doesn't stock any steel or and non-lead 2.5" lead free cartridges so no use for my old guns.

Winchester 

Bamfords in Lancs. They can post them.

Thank you. Aren't they about twice the price of lead? 

I was hoping for a cheaper European offering as people often say Europe has be lead free in many places for ages without issue. And personally I'm hoping for a EU .410 wad suitable for steel.

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

Thank you. Aren't they about twice the price of lead? 

I was hoping for a cheaper European offering as people often say Europe has be lead free in many places for ages without issue. And personally I'm hoping for a EU .410 wad suitable for steel.

£1 shot thereabouts