Lyalvale 16 gram, 12 bore

I haven’t heard this but I wouldn’t be surprised.Lighter loads have their place in certain circumstances,however the manufacturers don’t lower the prices as they should.Lead shot is almost half of the cost of cartridges,so if a 28 gram costs £300 a thousand,16 gram should cost £240,yet would probably be £285.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I suspect you would need to shoot a .410" to take part.

I WAS joking!

But my observation is that most of the folks who tell you they are ‘only using a .410’ are actually using a .410 magnum 3 inch and firing them from a 7lb gun. Not my idea of a .410.

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

I WAS joking!

But my observation is that most of the folks who tell you they are ‘only using a .410’ are actually using a .410 magnum 3 inch and firing them from a 7lb gun. Not my idea of a .410.

The rest of us use an emoji as a signal to everyone that you are trying to be humorous.  :w00t:

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

Really kicky side by sides shot by wimps at skeet.

I would!

Hello, i remember my first Side by Side with a stock to short🙄, anyway are you still looking for Side by Side shotguns ??, one is a 16 bore most like Spanish Sold by Elderkins,  a Webley 700 12 bore,  a Grant and Son 1890 12 bore Side lock

4 hours ago, Mable said:

I hear Lyalvale have introduced a 12 bore 16 gram cartridge?

Anyone else heard this,  or better still used them?

Price?

Yes, heard of them, no not personally used them they are steel shot. They tried them at a shooting ground near me and "we were not impressed" was the verdict from some county level shooters.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh, a 16 bore shell, that makes a bit more sense................................

No, 16 gram in a 12 bore.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Really, I presume you mean for people who have guns that do NOT fit them.

+1. 

Edited by enfieldspares

I heard today that Orston is using them but wasn't aware that they're steel. I suppose I just presumed they were lead.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

I use a .410 irregularly and although I have used Fiochhi magnums I'm quite happy to use 9 gram on most clays. My gun weighs around 6lb and fits me.

I'd be quite happy to try 16 gram lead on any clays, SBS or OU. 

I do find that most people overestimate the clays distance, ie: those that claim they're hitting 70 yarders when in fact they're probably 30 yards max.

The same way people use 28 gram for clays or 34 gram or 36 grams for game.

5 minutes ago, Mable said:

I heard today that Orston is using them but wasn't aware that they're steel. I suppose I just presumed they were lead.

I do find that most people overestimate the clays distance, ie: those that claim they're hitting 70 yarders when in fact they're probably 30 yards max.

I would agree that many shooters cannot accurately gauge range, BUT, I would NOT think it was by such a high factor.

Well they appear to be 12 bore, 16 gramme 8.5s with a bio wad.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I would agree that many shooters cannot accurately gauge range, BUT, I would NOT think it was by such a high factor.

Maybe, maybe not. Today I heard a guy bragging about the 70 yard incomer, he'd cleared the stand. The trap was not even 50 yards away and an incomer. He could have destroyed it at 10. The furthest today was a DTL, not sure how far a DTL trap is, maybe 20 at a push? Then another 20 - 30 max to hit. One group complained because it was too hard/far. 

Anyway, don't men always exaggerate distance🤔🤣🤣. I rest my case.

1 minute ago, Mable said:

Maybe, maybe not. Today I heard a guy bragging about the 70 yard incomer, he'd cleared the stand. The trap was not even 50 yards away and an incomer. He could have destroyed it at 10. The furthest today was a DTL, not sure how far a DTL trap is, maybe 20 at a push? Then another 20 - 30 max to hit. One group complained because it was too hard/far. 

Anyway, don't men always exaggerate distance🤔🤣🤣. I rest my case.

None of which supports your outrageous "70 yards is actually 30 yards max" claim.    :cool1:

59 minutes ago, London Best said:

It generally is when shooters describe the height of pheasants!

There's a passage in, I think, Payne-Gallwey, about a conversation on shooting a pheasant the same height as the balcony on the Great Fire of London monument (which as a kid I actually climbed up). His friend says he wouldn't as it is too high. To which which the reply is that the balcony is only some such height even thought the total height of the Monument is somewhat more.

39 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There's a passage in, I think, Payne-Gallwey, about a conversation on shooting a pheasant the same height as the balcony on the Great Fire of London monument (which as a kid I actually climbed up). His friend says he wouldn't as it is too high. To which which the reply is that the balcony is only some such height even thought the total height of the Monument is somewhat more.

Not heard of that conversation before, but I am not surprised.

Estimating distance is not so hard on the ground (although many struggle) but it is ridiculously hard to estimate heights and nearly impossible to estimate the height of a flying bird accurately.