1960s Browning Auto-5

enfieldspares

Here's a 1960 made Browning Auto-5 in it's correct take down case by the Mastra Company. It's the first A-5 I have seen in the UK that appears to have what is a "trap" stock fitted rather than the usual standard stock that has more drop at the heel. Barrel is a genuine ** marked so about modified choke. On s2 so has the usual restricted magazine that became law in the UK under the Tory Government 1988 Act. Sadly the case is a bit knocked about on the ends...which I suppose is the point of these cases I suppose. Here's a picture of the guncase factory. The building still is there and still in use but the Mastra Company aren't.

01010252.JPG

01010253.JPG

Mastra Co.png

Mastra.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

26 minutes ago, minibbb said:

Are you going to be selling it?

I don't know in truth. I have a standard stocked A-5 of about the same time and a standard stocked 16 gauge A-5 of about the same time. I am very happy to say that the 16 gauge is a proper, as made 2 3/4" model both barrel and receiver. The three are basically steel shot back up guns. I'll post pictures of them perhaps tomorrow. And, yes, on the gun in the picture it is a correct vent rib barrel.

21 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I don't know in truth. I have a standard stocked A-5 of about the same time and a standard stocked 16 gauge A-5 of about the same time. I am very happy to say that the 16 gauge is a proper, as made 2 3/4" model both barrel and receiver. The three are basically steel shot back up guns. I'll post pictures of them perhaps tomorrow. And, yes, on the gun in the picture it is a correct vent rib barrel.

I like the 16g, and keep looking

1 hour ago, BrowningDJC said:

My father used to have a couple of 12’s, a 16 and a 20 bore. The 16 was the nicest to shoot. 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I like the 16g, and keep looking

Here in the UK the 16 gauge ones that you see most often are the 2 9/16th inch chambered ones. Which have the fixed ejector on the back of the barrel. In theory they are the ones to have here and use standard 2 1/2" 16 gaune loads. But, of course, the 2 3/4" chambered guns which have a rearward moving ejector on the back of the barrel will handle BOTH 65mm and 70mm cases.

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Here in the UK the 16 gauge ones that you see most often are the 2 9/16th inch chambered ones. Which have the fixed ejector on the back of the barrel. In theory they are the ones to have here and use standard 2 1/2" 16 gaune loads. But, of course, the 2 3/4" chambered guns which have a rearward moving ejector on the back of the barrel will handle BOTH 65mm and 70mm cases.

Thanks for the info, will keep an eye out for the 23/4 this summer

On 14/02/2024 at 20:52, enfieldspares said:

Thanks matey, if you do sell please bare me in mind, been after an A5 for a while and it's a nice one!

Just now, minibbb said:

Thanks matey, if you do sell please bare me in mind, been after an A5 for a while and it's a nice one!

Yes. I will. I am trying to decide which one of the two 12 gauge A-5 guns I shoot least worst with. The one with the standard stock or the one with the trap stock! Then the added complication that as the 16 gauge has anyway a standard stock do I really want a 12 gauge with a different dimension stock. But, yes, I will keep you in mind. I am n the East Midlands BTW.

On 14/02/2024 at 18:20, enfieldspares said:

Here's a 1960 made Browning Auto-5 in it's correct take down case by the Mastra Company. It's the first A-5 I have seen in the UK that appears to have what is a "trap" stock fitted rather than the usual standard stock that has more drop at the heel. Barrel is a genuine ** marked so about modified choke. On s2 so has the usual restricted magazine that became law in the UK under the Tory Government 1988 Act. Sadly the case is a bit knocked about on the ends...which I suppose is the point of these cases I suppose. Here's a picture of the guncase factory. The building still is there and still in use but the Mastra Company aren't.

01010252.JPG

01010253.JPG

Mastra Co.png

Mastra.jpg

Nice looking gun 👍 I now regret trading in an as new sweet sixteen with 2 barrels in its original Airways case, it was a 2 3/4 chambered gun made in 1957. No pictures unfortunately but below is my circa 1929 A5 12 bore which was a gift from my wife’s uncle , it has a solid rib the sweet sixteen had a matted area running down the length of the otherwise plain barrel

B5C4B5A1-E2BA-418B-9093-0BE49BECC71D.jpeg

Edited by Konor