PDS1 Deer Course

5 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

never heard of it to be fair.

are you sure it's not " BDS" British Deer Society?

I friend of the OH (non shooter) son started beating a few years ago now want to get into stalking, and they found this online. HUNTING AND SHOOTING ACADEMY.CO.UK fronted by Peter Jones of the Capreolus Club fame. He thought he could do this online course while studying for A levels. Like you never heard of it but looked very good.

I may be wrong but do not think it is accepted and more cost than a DSC1 course.

Or just do home study online with BDS about ten pounds a month  ( worth doing either way you choose and mock test online )and just sit the test .

Peter Jones completed is DSC1   ( as i have stated at 65yrs old and thick and never stalked before passed all at first attempt )

So any one can pass  the shooting test was the hardest and a few failed so practice and use sticks for 70yard and the head shot.

Good luck 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2024 at 18:43, bottletopbill said:

I may be wrong but do not think it is accepted and more cost than a DSC1 course.

Or just do home study online with BDS about ten pounds a month  ( worth doing either way you choose and mock test online )and just sit the test .

Peter Jones completed is DSC1   ( as i have stated at 65yrs old and thick and never stalked before passed all at first attempt )

So any one can pass  the shooting test was the hardest and a few failed so practice and use sticks for 70yard and the head shot.

Good luck 

HEAD SHOT?

not when i did mine.

all the 9 shots (heart/lung) had to fit inside the circular template when placed on top of your test target.

head shots are frowned upon.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, lksopener said:

the PDS one might well be accredited by Lantra but means next to nothing to a number of big organisations and isn’t nationally recognised. 

Who are the big authorities may i ask, he just wants to go stalking and i believe it recognise by the police 

Edited by 8 shot

• 4 months later...
On 03/03/2024 at 18:01, 8 shot said:

Who are the big authorities may i ask, he just wants to go stalking and i believe it recognise by the police 

I imagine the likes of the timber management companies off the top of my head.

Why over complicate matters and pay more for the privilege. Just stick with the recognised version.

Edited by BinaryB

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2024 at 10:51, Zoli 12 guage said:

HEAD SHOT?

not when i did mine.

all the 9 shots (heart/lung) had to fit inside the circular template when placed on top of your test target.

head shots are frowned upon.

This got my attention head shots I don't think anyone should  be encouraging such practice 

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

This got my attention head shots I don't think anyone should  be encouraging such practice 

apparently, it's only for a "coup de grace" type deal if it's apparent and obvious that the animal is still alive or if it's not passed the "blink test".

this was not part of my DSC exam i might add presumably because if you'd put 9 shots inside the kill zone from 100 yds down to 40 yds i assume they reckon you wouldn't miss sub 5 yds.

The whole point of the head shot part of the later DSC1 is to prove that you realise that at sub 10 metres the rifle will shoot approximately 2 inches lower than your aiming point. So, for an effective humane despatch shot, should one be needed, it is necessary to aim at the very top of the head between the ears in order to hit he brain cavity. 
DSC does not encourage head shots at deer unless wounded and down.

Hope this clarifies.