S1 conversion

Scully

1 minute ago, London Best said:

It CAN be done in under a minute with a hacksaw!

But I’m sure that’s not what you meant.

No, not really. 🙂
I was under the impression I could do this myself, as I can get a tube with spring, clamp and follower for 90 odd quid, and fit it all myself. 
However, when a mate did exactly this he received a massive rollicking from licensing when he informed them of what he’d done. 
He had the relevant slot on his ticket, but for reasons I can’t think of ( and he never asked ) licensing told him he should have had the work carried out by a RFD! 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

I can't see why you can't do the work yourself if you're capable,have the relevant slot and inform the old bill it's come off your SGC and gone on your FAC.

best to ring your FAL team and ask.

Exactly. Will get on it after the weekend. 👍

14 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

how many are you converting it to?

mine is (obviously) 5 and 10 if i put the magazine extender on.

I think with the tube I looked at the gun would hold eight, can’t recall now. I’m assuming that’s eight plus one? 

I have a friend that did this with a Winchester pump action. He needed it to carry on his tractor, without loose ammunition rolling around. I think his holds 8 or 9 rounds in the magazine. His argument being, he can leave the breech open on the gun, when carrying on the tractor, then simply rack it to load it, to deal with whatever vermin he encountered, when out in the fields. The FLO took a lot of convincing, but eventually he had the gun put onto his Section 1 Certificate. I am sure he did the conversion himself, as all of the local gunsmiths are retired or dead. He did leave it until nearing the time of his licence renewal too.

Edited by Westley

A replacement mag tube must be securely fixed with a suitable adhesive  . A crimped tube would need to be certificated by the proof house to satisfy most authorities .

Doing yourself providing the original mag tube can be removed without doing damage is a possibility . But please remember you are dealing with Police Firearm's officers who are not always the most receptive or sensible of people .

Thanks @Gunman the tube won’t be crimped. 
Adding heat to break the seal on the original tube is the only part that concerns me; I mean how much is too much? Just a suck and see process I imagine. 
Yes, I think mate received a rollicking because the rozzers don’t like to think it’s common knowledge that it’s more than possible as a DIY job, otherwise every Tom **** and Harry would be doing it. 🤷‍♂️
As you can quite legally buy all the parts online, it’s a distinct possibility! 
Thanks again. 

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

A replacement mag tube must be securely fixed with a suitable adhesive  . A crimped tube would need to be certificated by the proof house to satisfy most authorities .

Doing yourself providing the original mag tube can be removed without doing damage is a possibility . But please remember you are dealing with Police Firearm's officers who are not always the most receptive or sensible of people .

why does a section 1 mag tube need securing/fixing in place at all like a crimped section 2?

if it's section 1 there are no restrictions for it being able to hold 1 shell or a 100.

so what difference does it make if you can change the configuration easily?

mine has the option for instance of holding 1, 5 or 9 depending on how it's configured.

Edited by Zoli 12 guage

I mis read the original post .I read it as wanting to convert from S1 to S2 .NOT S2 to S1.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Thanks @Gunman the tube won’t be crimped. 
Adding heat to break the seal on the original tube is the only part that concerns me; I mean how much is too much? Just a suck and see process I imagine. 
Yes, I think mate received a rollicking because the rozzers don’t like to think it’s common knowledge that it’s more than possible as a DIY job, otherwise every Tom **** and Harry would be doing it. 🤷‍♂️
As you can quite legally buy all the parts online, it’s a distinct possibility! 
Thanks again. 

Mis read the post as  S2 to S1 not S2to S1

3 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

why does a section 1 mag tube need securing/fixing in place at all like a crimped section 2?

if it's section 1 there are no restrictions for it being able to hold 1 shell or a 100.

so what difference does it make if you can change the confirmation easily?

mine has the option for instance of holding 1, 5 or 9 depending on how it's configured.

Sorry mis read the post as S1 to S2 . 

3 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

4 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

Just get the gun put on your fac then convert the mag tube . My mate did it that way on a webley sa . He just had to remove a circlip or something similar?.

a 17 mm socket can also remove the crimp from a mag tube apparently.All perfectly legal if the gun is on your fac first .

8 minutes ago, mowdy said:

Just get the gun put on your fac then convert the mag tube . My mate did it that way on a webley sa . He just had to remove a circlip or something similar?.

a 17 mm socket can also remove the crimp from a mag tube apparently.All perfectly legal if the gun is on your fac first .

There’s a thought. Worth trying. Cheers. 

As above. Once the gun is moved from your SGC go FAC then you can do the de-restriction work yourself. The need for the tube to be glued so it doesn't constitute a detachable magazine, no longer applies.

It's going the other way that requires Proof House confirmation, but again, no need for an RFD to be involved. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did this a few years back. The FLO advised to get an RFD to register the gun as S1, then "sell" back to me and enter correctly onto my cert. Then I made the change. I think the RFD charged me £10-20 for their time, but did it for nowt in the end as I was buying another gun.