Gun part fabrication legality

1Ab

Just had a thought I think I know the answer to but I am not sure. 

What are the laws on making your own gun parts or having them made by a non gunsmith?

I know serialised and pressure bearing components are off limits does that make the rest of the parts ok to remanufacture? 

It depends so be careful. If anywhere in the consideration a de-activated weapon, be that one that was formerly s5, s1 or s2, is involved it may be an offence. Notwithstanding that if you don't have such de-activated weapon then it isn't an offence! But if you do that it might be! That sort of thing would be a trigger group, a fully functioning hammer assembly, even perhaps a magazine that holds the full quantity of cartridges it was designed to hold. Or modifying a forend so that it can be removed and replaced on a deactivated s2 shotgun.

31 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

It depends so be careful. If anywhere in the consideration a de-activated weapon, be that one that was formerly s5, s1 or s2, is involved it may be an offence. Notwithstanding that if you don't have such de-activated weapon then it isn't an offence! But if you do that it might be! That sort of thing would be a trigger group, a fully functioning hammer assembly, even perhaps a magazine that holds the full quantity of cartridges it was designed to hold. Or modifying a forend so that it can be removed and replaced on a deactivated s2 shotgun.

Nope no de-activated firearms involved. 

It is more to replace broken parts that are no longer in production. For example firing pins, trigger springs etc etc.

There are only so many second hand parts avaliable. 

And perhaps a modified stock (maintaining the minimum lengh).

I did just that  !

I bought a Beretta semi auto for 'parts' which has been scrapped. The bolt assembly and some trigger parts were missing, however,  I saw that it had a later Beretta 303 barrel and decent woodwork. During 'lockdown' I rebuilt the gun completely.  Sourcing bolt parts from Italy and having trigger parts fabricated here. I fitted new springs throughout and the gun became a fully operative semi auto once more. Then I notified the local Firearms Dept.  A very nice young lady told me that I could not do that and it needed a Gunsmith to 'check it out'. I explained that I had done it and she may be confusing my work with the need for a reproof. As I had not done anything to the barrel, other than clean it, and had not in any way made it into a Section 1 weapon, I was .merely informing them that the gun was now functioning again and to update my Shotgun Certificate accordingly. She was making enquiries, but was adamant that not being a qualified Gunsmith, I could not carry out this work. I have since renewed my Certificate and the gun was listed on my new Certificate.  I have never heard from the young lady again. Someone must have put her right on the issue.

7 minutes ago, Westley said:

She was making enquiries, but was adamant that not being a qualified Gunsmith, I could not carry out this work. I have since renewed my Certificate and the gun was listed on my new Certificate.  I have never heard from the young lady again. Someone must have put her right on the issue.

I can't think why she would have thought that? There's every chance if you went to a gunsmith for something to be made that they'd get it made by someone else then assemble it?

6 minutes ago, Westley said:

I could not do that and it needed a Gunsmith to 'check it out

I have heard similar things and I think there is a bit of a misconception between best/safe practice and actual law.

This made me unsure so I thought I'd start the discussion here.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I bought a Beretta semi auto for 'parts' which has been scrapped. The bolt assembly and some trigger parts were missing, however,  I saw that it had a later Beretta 303 barrel and decent woodwork. During 'lockdown' I rebuilt the gun completely.  Sourcing bolt parts from Italy and having trigger parts fabricated here. I fitted new springs throughout and the gun became a fully operative semi auto once more

Apologies if I've mis-read this, but surely the issue here is that, whomever sold you that gun in the first place should've entered it onto your SGC?

The gun wasn't "scrapped", in that it was capable of being turned into an operational (s2) firearm again.  It had a barrel and 'action' - receiver in the case of a semi - albeit it was missing the one of the other relevant component parts, the bolt.  The actual condition of the gun is irrelevant.

Whatever the case, the gun is now where it should be, in that it is entered onto your SGC.

A ‘relevant component part’ of a lethal barrelled or prohibited weapon is a firearm in its own right and is defined in section 57(1D) of the 1968 Act as:
a) a barrel, chamber or cylinder,
b) a frame, body or receiver,
c) a breech block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the pressure of discharge at the rear of a chamber,
but only where the item is capable of being used as a part of a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon.

Having said all that, I've got a 302 in need of some TLC - albeit on my SGC - where did you source the parts from?

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

I can't think why she would have thought that? There's every chance if you went to a gunsmith for something to be made that they'd get it made by someone else then assemble it?

She was getting mixed up with work on barrels requiring a re-proof.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Apologies if I've mis-read this, but surely the issue here is that, whomever sold you that gun in the first place should've entered it onto your SGC?

The gun wasn't "scrapped", in that it was capable of being turned into an operational (s2) firearm again.  It had a barrel and 'action' - receiver in the case of a semi - albeit it was missing the one of the other relevant component parts, the bolt.  The actual condition of the gun is irrelevant.

Whatever the case, the gun is now where it should be, in that it is entered onto your SGC.

Having said all that, I've got a 302 in need of some TLC - albeit on my SGC - where did you source the parts from?

It was entered on my Certificate as sold for parts only. I was trying to get that changed to a 'working Sec 2 gun'.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

OMPS2 website in Italy and a retired engineer who lives locally and is a shooter. I have a mint condition 303, so was able to take the parts of that trigger assembly and have them copied.