R I P Patrick ( Paddy ) Howe

marsh man

One of the all time greats in the clay pigeon world have sadly passed away at the good age of 85 , his shooting career lasted for over 60 years and he became world champion and was the first father and son to win the European championships , certainly one of the best shots around in his time

R I P Paddy 

I was very sorry to hear the sad news about Paddy he was a legend of clay shooting and another one gone. I didn’t know him personally but of course knew of him and saw him around at various shoots over the years. He was one of the established top shots when I started clay shooting some 40 years ago.

I understand that when Grimsthorpe shooting ground first started doing competitions years ago he helped Mark set the courses and would not compromise on the difficulty level and helped establish the fine reputation that ground had for top notch targets.

R.I.P Paddy.

6 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I remember him well, I was once at a 100 bird sporting shoot near Norwich,about 1981, watched him shoot a couple of stands in front of me.Wally Sykes was also shooting! R.i.p Paddy.

image.jpg.72ca97066828d861877fdfba560e8089.jpg

Edited by TOPGUN749

47 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Poor old Paddy, he could be an interesting chap, shot with him in Norfolk many times.

15 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

The first time I shot for England Paddy was on the team. A very accomplished team member. Sad news.

Don't know if either of you are old enough or ever attended the Somerleyton Gun Club back in the late 70s, but Paddy used to shoot there a lot with some well known local names like Donald ( Doddy ) Dodd , Jimmy Ling , Steve Copper and Alan Secker , all very good shots and Alan Secker won the three day English Sporting one year that was held at Somerleyton , now the ground is only used for dog walkers     MM

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No Mate, not old enough.

Might have shot with Doddy and Jimmy though.

Jimmy is a nice ole boy , the last time I went to his he took me in his house and in one room he had all the pennants hanging up around the ceiling from around the world where he had shot for the U K , he was saying he had been to some places for up to three weeks , his wife Berel used to go with him so it was a cheap holiday , sadly his wife passed away not long ago and I don't think Jimmy is in the best of health either .    MM

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Don't know if either of you are old enough or ever attended the Somerleyton Gun Club back in the late 70s, but Paddy used to shoot there a lot with some well known local names like Donald ( Doddy ) Dodd , Jimmy Ling , Steve Copper and Alan Secker , all very good shots and Alan Secker won the three day English Sporting one year that was held at Somerleyton , now the ground is only used for dog walkers     MM

I didnt start shooting untill the late 80,s but even though I  eventually shot at most grounds in the Uk Someleyton was one I  never got to.

10 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I didnt start shooting untill the late 80,s but even though I  eventually shot at most grounds in the Uk Someleyton was one I  never got to.

THANKS for the update , the grounds brought back a lot of happy memories , we lived close by and was well within biking distance , we were nowhere good enough to enter and if we were we couldn't afford it anyhow , Richardsons of Halesworth who provided the cartridges and clays would often bring us a slab of there ( Style ) cartridges in there dads White sports car at a discount price and we didn't know it at the time we were watching some of the best clay shots in the UK .  Happy days.

I also didn't know at the time that my last 29 years of my working life would be working for the estate that had the gun club and one of my last jobs before I retired was to take down the old club house and the high tower which was a scaffold tower , we didn't fancy climbing to the top as all the poles were rusty so we got a local scaffolding company to take it down and all the poles went to the scrapyard , our old boss donated the site to the Broads Authority and is now a nice walk around the woods used by dog walkers and the times when the UK top shots used the place is now sadly in the history books .      MM

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

THANKS for the update , the grounds brought back a lot of happy memories , we lived close by and was well within biking distance , we were nowhere good enough to enter and if we were we couldn't afford it anyhow , Richardsons of Halesworth who provided the cartridges and clays would often bring us a slab of there ( Style ) cartridges in there dads White sports car at a discount price and we didn't know it at the time we were watching some of the best clay shots in the UK .  Happy days.

I also didn't know at the time that my last 29 years of my working life would be working for the estate that had the gun club and one of my last jobs before I retired was to take down the old club house and the high tower which was a scaffold tower , we didn't fancy climbing to the top as all the poles were rusty so we got a local scaffolding company to take it down and all the poles went to the scrapyard , our old boss donated the site to the Broads Authority and is now a nice walk around the woods used by dog walkers and the times when the UK top shots used the place is now sadly in the history books .      MM

Many of the old clubs were I fired my first shots are now history but what superb memories  I  have of being a novice and then finding gun clubs all over the country and going from a first visit to local clubs until I  got onto the circuit and found nothing but help and friendship everywhere I  went.I am now 77 years old and broke 3 bones in my back last year through lifting heavy furniture  whilst redecorating, this led to bouts of covid, flu,chest infections and a frightening diagnosis  of severe osteoporosis but I  am still hoping to pick the gun up again when the weather picks up.I am aiming to get back soon to the local clubs and the much missed comeradery.

23 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No Mate, not old enough.

Might have shot with Doddy and Jimmy though.

Doddy is still with us, over 90 now. Shot with his son several times, lovely family. You may have shot with another of my mates a Duane Morley.

2 minutes ago, kevinw said:

Doddy is still with us, over 90 now. Shot with his son several times, lovely family. You may have shot with another of my mates a Duane Morley.

Certainly have, Duane and I would take turns on the pool shoots, might do two or three shoots and take whatever prize money was around and then I would often bump in to him whilst getting an Indian Takeaway in East Dereham in the evening.

14 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Many of the old clubs were I fired my first shots are now history but what superb memories  I  have of being a novice and then finding gun clubs all over the country and going from a first visit to local clubs until I  got onto the circuit and found nothing but help and friendship everywhere I  went.I am now 77 years old and broke 3 bones in my back last year through lifting heavy furniture  whilst redecorating, this led to bouts of covid, flu,chest infections and a frightening diagnosis  of severe osteoporosis but I  am still hoping to pick the gun up again when the weather picks up.I am aiming to get back soon to the local clubs and the much missed comeradery.

Good God , Really sorry to hear about the damage you done to your back while lifting the heavy furniture and your bad news from the doctor , with being more or less the same age as you ,my days of lifting anything heavier than a bag of dogs food is way past me as I took early retirement through wear and tear on my back .

Hopefully you will get well enough before to long to be able to mix with some of your fellow clay shooting friends and possibly have a few shots , Thanks for your replies and all the best for the future .     MM 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Certainly have, Duane and I would take turns on the pool shoots, might do two or three shoots and take whatever prize money was around and then I would often bump in to him whilst getting an Indian Takeaway in East Dereham in the evening.

He takes me shooting now and then, shootings improved no end.