BASC - Shooting provides £1.1 billion in natural capital benefits

BASC has published its inaugural assessment of the natural capital benefits of shooting in the UK.

Natural capital is the sum of financial and social benefits we get from our natural environment. The concept has increasingly shaped both international and national environmental policies. It is at the core of the government’s England Environmental Improvement Plan and the forthcoming equivalent in Scotland.

BASC’s natural capital benefits of shooting report, compiled in 2023 in partnership with the Economics for the Environment Consultancy and Strutt & Parker, sets out the recreational value of UK shooting, alongside other benefits for society and the environment. 

The report provides UK-wide and home country values under four overarching groups of benefits:

• Carbon sequestration – valued at £382 million
  • Public health savings – valued at £64 million
  • Recreation – valued at £607 million
  • Food and forestry – valued at £100 million

Combined together, the benefits are in excess of £1.1 billion per annum.

More information here:

https://basc.org.uk/research/natural-capital/ 

The Telegraph headlined on the BASC commissioned report last week on the £64 million annual saving to the NHS that recreational shooting provides. This is made up of physical health benefits (£20m), and mental health benefits (£6.7m) for people involved in shooting. There is an additional benefit (£37.6m) from air pollutants removed by woodland created and managed for shooting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/08/shooting-saves-nhs-millions-year-report/

33 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC has published its inaugural assessment of the natural capital benefits of shooting in the UK.

Natural capital is the sum of financial and social benefits we get from our natural environment. The concept has increasingly shaped both international and national environmental policies. It is at the core of the government’s England Environmental Improvement Plan and the forthcoming equivalent in Scotland.

BASC’s natural capital benefits of shooting report, compiled in 2023 in partnership with the Economics for the Environment Consultancy and Strutt & Parker, sets out the recreational value of UK shooting, alongside other benefits for society and the environment. 

The report provides UK-wide and home country values under four overarching groups of benefits:

• Carbon sequestration – valued at £382 million
  • Public health savings – valued at £64 million
  • Recreation – valued at £607 million
  • Food and forestry – valued at £100 million

Combined together, the benefits are in excess of £1.1 billion per annum.

More information here:

https://basc.org.uk/research/natural-capital/ 

The Telegraph headlined on the BASC commissioned report last week on the £64 million annual saving to the NHS that recreational shooting provides. This is made up of physical health benefits (£20m), and mental health benefits (£6.7m) for people involved in shooting. There is an additional benefit (£37.6m) from air pollutants removed by woodland created and managed for shooting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/08/shooting-saves-nhs-millions-year-report/

That's impressive, what do you think/hope will be the outcome

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

I dont like how things are monetised personally

I get more pleasure from nature than any amount really

Had a curlew in our field today - to me and mine worth thousands 

Putting a price to something doesn't mean to say that no one's aware of the value.

Personally I agree with you - I dislike to see everything reduced to a monetary value. But I don't think that's what is being done here - a number is being ascribed for political reasons, while we (and BASC) know the value.

I've had to do similar things in the past to justify to family members wanting to keep fields on our land wet. If you talked to some of the older members of my family about the value of nature in respect of a boggy field, they would look at like you were mad. If you framed it in terms of sporting value, things would click.

Sometimes to win, an argument needs to be translated into a language others can understand.

Edited by PeterHenry

6 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Putting a price to something doesn't mean to say that no one's aware of the value.

Personally I agree with you - I dislike to see everything reduced to a monetary value. But I don't think that's what is being done here - a number is being ascribed for political reasons, while we (and BASC) know the value.

I've had to do similar things in the past to justify to family members wanting to keep fields on our land wet. If you talked to some of the older members of my family about the value of nature in respect of a boggy field, they would look at like you were mad. If you framed it in terms of sporting value, things would click.

Sometimes to win, an argument needs to be translated into a language others can understand.

Thanks Peter 

Yes i sort of get that but sometimes - going to other peoples levels or ideas - is simply just that and we have so much positive to highlight

But yes i do get your point 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, islandgun said:

That's impressive, what do you think/hope will be the outcome

We will be using the stats for a range of audiences over the next few years to reinforce our arguments on the positive impact of shooting. The outcome will hopefully be convincing even more people of the benefits of shooting.

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

57 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

We will be using the stats for a range of audiences over the next few years to reinforce our arguments on the positive impact of shooting. The outcome will hopefully be convincing even more people of the benefits of shooting.

Thanks Conor it certainly looks like someone has put in the hours. The evidence for country sports certainly outweighs those against. For me an emphasis on environmental enhancement would be the point winner over the next few years

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thanks Conor it certainly looks like someone has put in the hours. The evidence for country sports certainly outweighs those against. For me an emphasis on environmental enhancement would be the point winner over the next few years

I agree and case studies are needed to reinforce the stats.

Excellent work Conor. Clearly there are several important economic benefits. However, the biggest gain has always been difficult to express in monetary terms, and that is gains to ‘public goods’ via the preservation and enhancement of key habitats. This appears to have relevance which is more emotional than monetary. 

(I must apologise for not having read the assessment - time pressures etc. perhaps net gain to public goods gets a mention…..?)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2024 at 22:42, jall25 said:

I dont like how things are monetised personally

I get more pleasure from nature than any amount really

Had a curlew in our field today - to me and mine worth thousands 

Remember the adage, "if it pays, it stays".