Trout Fishing on Farmoor Reservoir for anyone interested to having a go at Fly Fishing for Trout !!!!! ????

Hello, as above, i have been fishing the above for many  years and had been a member of FFF Club when we fished Number 1 Reservoir , i was looking at going again this year to fish on Number 2 which is a Day Ticket Venue so i thought there maybe a PW member who would like come on a day with me to learn Basic Casting etc and hopefully catch a trout or 2 , Welcome to bring a Partner or friend , I have the Rods/reels, etc oh and big landing net 🤔😊, it can be good fishing on a nice warm breezy day, i will not fish myself but help you enjoy a day out trout fishing, Partners or friends/ family not wishing to fish there is a nice walk around the Res or Bird Watching, There is also a nice Cafe, Have a look on Google maps, There are various tickets, Day/ Afternoon/ Evening but depends on time permitting if you have a fair drive to Oxford, i would prefer a week day or maybe a Sunday , The weather is a factor in Trout Fishing eg To Hot is no good, so Best is mid late April, May/ June/ July August if not to hot, September October, Oh i am not one of those expert trout fishers you see only the Telly , i just like to enjoy time out fishing and fresh air, a flask of coffee and sarnie and a bit of cake 😊, if of interest let me know

A very kind offer and I hope someone jumps at the great opportunity you are giving.  Haven't fished Farmoor for maybe 15+ years, as it is quite a drive from the Fens, and I would need to by-pass Grafham, Rutland etc etc to get there !!

I hope someone takes it up  🐟 

Nick

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sandspider said:

Do you know what, maybe it's not too far from me! If you'll have me OPP I'd love to make the trip, if we can make it work?

Hello, Yes that will be Ok,  let me know when you would like to visit but the weather needs to improve over the next few weeks, there is more chance of catching a trout when the days are a bit warmer and trout start to feed in mid water or top water rather than sulking on the bottom , the A 420 from Swindon would be a good route as it passes the turn off to Farmoor, Will keep you posted on a Fishing day

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

12 hours ago, Stuarta said:

Thank you for this kind offer.

I live in Minster Lovell so around ten miles from Farmoor and would love to join you and learn to fly fish. I am retired so can go almost anytime except Tuesdays.

Stuart

Hello, No problem as i posted to Sandspider,  👍, i know Minster when i fished the Windrush with the Cotswold club many years ago, will keep you posted on a fishing day, 

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Yes that will be Ok,  let me know when you would like to visit but the weather needs to improve over the next few weeks, there is more chance of catching a trout when the days are a bit warmer and trout start to feed in mid water or top water rather than sulking on the bottom , the A 420 from Swindon would be a good route as it passes the turn off to Farmoor, Will keep you posted on a Fishing day

Thank you, appreciate it.

I work full time so will need a bit of notice to book the day off. Thursdays or Fridays generally good for me if they suit you? No rush, happy to wait till the weather warms up and the trout are hungry! My wrist is recovering from surgery anyway, so possibly the longer the better. Let me know, and thanks again for the offer.

51 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Thank you, appreciate it.

I work full time so will need a bit of notice to book the day off. Thursdays or Fridays generally good for me if they suit you? No rush, happy to wait till the weather warms up and the trout are hungry! My wrist is recovering from surgery anyway, so possibly the longer the better. Let me know, and thanks again for the offer.

Hello, ok that is no problem, we can do a Thursday or Friday, lets see when the weathers better and your surgery heals well, My trout rods are light , 2 X 9 ft and 1 X 8ft 6 inch , will be in touch👍

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Just an Update, Well today Stuart and Myself went to Farmoor  today Trout Fishing as per my offer, The Weather was reasonable, a few sunny spells  in between showers and a nice breeze, Farmoor had changed the Hours with no evening fishing finishing at 5 pm, Hence Stewart bought the 2 Fish Ticket and we started at 11 am, a bit of casting practice on the grass and then on water, Trout were mid water but my W/F 7 Floater and a buzzer did not do well until the trout were surface topping in the wind lane 30/40 ft out, around 2 pm there were rising all over , no long casting needed , hooked and lost a nice fish then Stewart hooked in to another which was duly netted, a 2.5 llb nice Rainbow trout, We hooked into another but that got away, A good day for a first time fishing and Stewart taking home his first fly rod caught trout, cheers 

11 hours ago, Konor said:

Good result and a good memory for Stuart to log away. You’ll be pleased he managed a fish on his first outing, early success is a great help to encourage going out again. Well done 👍 

Hello, Thanks to post

9 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

What a wonderful offer that was.

Good man OPP.

Hello, 👍