Today's outing .... not what you may think.

JDog

My wife and I took advantage of a dry afternoon to walk the dogs from a nearby village. 

The ground was sodden with many pools of water which the dogs loved.

We then came across a church in the middle of nowhere and went inside. The church was built in Saxon times ie before 1066 AD and added to several times. There is a wall painting dated to circa 1340 the image if which I show. This painting stood the test of time until 2016 when some ******** stripped copper from the roof and water penetrated and spoiled the images.

Nevertheless it was still a stirring experience. 

20240404_133557.jpg

20240404_133632.jpg

Sadly around our way most of the country churches are now locked up , one of the first jobs I ever did on the estate was repair the flint wall where someone levered the  collection box out of the wall , I doubt if there were more a than a few quid and I spent half a day making good to the hole and cementing a new little collecting box in . we have three nice church's on the place and hardly no one go to any of the services , any different around your way ?    MM

9 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

Yes beautiful, our local low life dug up the path going to the church 300 years old and gone. 

We even had someone take a load of the half round copping stones from the top of the soft Red brick wall , we couldn't buy any and had to have them hand made which cost a fortune . nothing is sacred .

15 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Is that the one with all the head carvings on the outside?

No not this one.

16 hours ago, jall25 said:
  • Stunning - and where money from funds like the lottery should be spent 

The local multi millionaires now have the repairs and maintenance in hand.