Gunsmith choke question

BobbyH

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

to consider..........

i had my sxs barrells regulated...........using a particular name and weight and shot size of a cartridge...........it was regulated to those cartridges

if you are a cartridge tart and swap around to other fancy coloured cartridges.....your regulated barralls are not regualated anymore......ie: waste of time

stick to your cartridge that the barralls were regulated to

NOTE       "regulated" usually means the alignment of barrells....but can also mean the honing of chokes to give the desired pattern with a chosen cartridge

I sent a pair of guns off to have the chokes done and regulated for my chosen cartridge when I went to collect them the gunsmith produced the pattern sheets which were good and what I wanted 

he then proceeded to get out more sheets and tell me that the guns shot good patterns however the number 2 gun shot even better with 5 shot than the 6 that I requested but not the number 1 gun 

5 hours ago, Fellside said:

I’ve just bought a thousand red cartridges - they look really nice!

There's a song isn't there?

Quite suitable for that long journey I made now thirty years ago plus from (for me) the East Midlands up to Central Scotland to shoot driven grouse.

How does it go? Ah. yes...

"One thousand red cartridges in my bag and if one red cartridge should get fired today there'd be nine hundred and ninety-nine cartridges in my bag,

"Nine hundred and ninety-nine cartridges in my bag and if one red cartridge should get fired today there'd nine hundred and ninety-eight cartridges in my bag,

"Nine hundred and ninety-eight cartridges in my bag and if one red cartridge should get fired today there's be nine hundred and ninety-seven cartridges in my bag"

Hmm. I think my fellow travelling guns would have stopped the car, opened the door, pushed me out and left me in Trowell Services!

Edited by enfieldspares

49 minutes ago, martinj said:

there wasn't in the 60's, have you bought any since then? 😉

Ah! The ‘60’s, when common sense ruled. 
If it was red it was a heavy load, 4, 8, 10 or 12. 
Standard load 12’s were orange. 
Blue and it was a 16. 
Yellow/beige was 20. 
Colour coding.
Far better than all the colours of the rainbow.

Yes, I have bought many, many thousands since the ‘60’s.

33 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There's a song isn't there?

Quite suitable for that long journey I made now thirty plus from (for me) the East Midlands up to Central Scotland to shoot driven grouse.

How does it go? Ah. yes...

"One thousand red cartridges in my bag and if one red cartridge should get fired today there'd be nine hundred and ninety-nine cartridges in my bag,

"Nine hundred and ninety-nine cartridges in my bag and if one red cartridge should get fired today there'd nine hundred and ninety-eight cartridges in my bag,

"Nine hundred and ninety-eight cartridges in my bag and if one red cartridge should get fired today there's be nine hundred and ninety-seven cartridges in my bag"

Hmm. I think my fellow travelling guns would have stopped the car, opened the door, pushed me out and left me in Trowell Services!

😆😂 While the car was still moving me thinks. 

Thanks all! I didn’t know you can get barrels regulated to a cartridge!

However, with the guns that I would like having the chokes opened up (for steel and lead shot) they are just for fun. So, I’m not fussed about patterning and all that, as long as I can use steel and lead through them, upto 24gram loads, and maybe hit some clays, I’m happy 🤙🤙

23 minutes ago, BobbyH said:

Thanks all! I didn’t know you can get barrels regulated to a cartridge!

However, with the guns that I would like having the chokes opened up (for steel and lead shot) they are just for fun. So, I’m not fussed about patterning and all that, as long as I can use steel and lead through them, upto 24gram loads, and maybe hit some clays, I’m happy 🤙🤙

You should be able to that without having any work carried out on your "FUN" Guns.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You should be able to that without having any work carried out on your "FUN" Guns.

Cheers TC, I have read/heard you can’t shoot steel through anymore than 1/2 choke and the guns I want to get done have full chokes 

so I’m just future-proofing my guns just in case….or do you think it’s best I wait Untill we know what’s happening?

12 minutes ago, BobbyH said:

Cheers TC, I have read/heard you can’t shoot steel through anymore than 1/2 choke and the guns I want to get done have full chokes 

so I’m just future-proofing my guns just in case….or do you think it’s best I wait Untill we know what’s happening?

Wait, do NOT do anything yet.

If you plan to shoot light-loads, I would shoot some at clays and see what the gun does and what the quality of the kills and hence your enjoyment level is.