What if my sgc gets rejected?

15 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Whilst I wish anyone, who is suitable and wants to enter shooting, every success, I genuinely think you need to speak to your FEO. If they are optimistic, you can then apply and part of that will be getting a medical opinion.

So the firearm licensing team got back to me, said they couldn't book an appointment or interview until after I apply and pass the first stage. Which is annoying but I guess if the £79.50 gets refunded if its unsuccessful I haven't got much to lose, I'll just ask for a copy of my record beforehand and put every single thing on there so nothings missed. Thank you all again for any advice ouve given it's appreciated 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

So the firearm licensing team got back to me, said they couldn't book an appointment or interview until after I apply and pass the first stage. Which is annoying but I guess if the £79.50 gets refunded if its unsuccessful I haven't got much to lose, I'll just ask for a copy of my record beforehand and put every single thing on there so nothings missed. Thank you all again for any advice ouve given it's appreciated 

What a very poor attitude given the new requirements for Medical Certificates which can cost a lot and need to go in with your application.  You wanted a chat not a formal interview.

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

You have to get a medical report before you complete any application, so you could well be out £50, which will not be refunded if unsuccessful.

or he could be 30 quid down which is what mine cost for my renewal last October.

if he rings the surgery they'll tell him what their rate is.

i know for sure here in Gwent with the assult and depression you wouldnt stand a snowballs chance in hell getting a SGC i know of three people personly that has had there guns and tickets revocked untill looked at   and these people has had there SGC and FAC for over 10 yrs and still they had them taken on renewell in the last two yrs 

13 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

What a very poor attitude given the new requirements for Medical Certificates which can cost a lot and need to go in with your application.  You wanted a chat not a formal interview.

Literally 😅 I'd have thought that wanting an extra face to face chat regarding all the ins and outs to make sure nothing was overlooked would have indicated that I was keen 

14 hours ago, aidan95 said:

All of the Licensing Departments are VERY Busy, not surprisingly they will not engage in "chats" until you have submitted your application with all of the supporting elements.

13 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

As above, they simply don't have the time to have a "chat"

On 20/04/2024 at 16:34, aidan95 said:

I'm thinking of taking up clay shooting as a hobby. I've been a couple of times and want to go more often, but it's fairly expensive to go as a "lesson" and some of the local ranges only allow practice sessions if you have your own gun. I understand to pass the sgc application you need to be considered mentally sound and not of a violent nature (among other things obviously) but my worry is, I have a history of depression up til a few years ago, and I was charged with assault 6 years ago. I'd like to think I'm a completely different person now, but I'm not sure whether the police will see it like that. What are my chances (if any) of being accepted if I were to apply later this year? TIA 

In my experience, the ONLY person that can answer your question is your local firearms enquiry officer. He/She will take the information and submit it to your head of firearms licensing for a definitive answer if they feel further guidance is needed. I am sure they will give you advice and a provisional answer for free. My area will. 

Best of luck.

On 22/04/2024 at 18:35, aidan95 said:

Sorry. I replied before I saw this. That sucks. My FEO is very open to giving advice before things get official. It's the firearms postcode lottery again 🙄

18 hours ago, Fil said:

In my experience, the ONLY person that can answer your question is your local firearms enquiry officer. He/She will take the information and submit it to your head of firearms licensing for a definitive answer if they feel further guidance is needed. I am sure they will give you advice and a provisional answer for free. My area will. 

Best of luck.

Sorry. I replied before I saw this. That sucks. My FEO is very open to giving advice before things get official. It's the firearms postcode lottery again 🙄

No worries man, like someone said earlier they are very busy, I can understand them not having the time but the person who got back to me made it out like it's something they don't do in general, which does suck but it is what it is

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2024 at 09:16, aidan95 said:

No worries man, like someone said earlier they are very busy, I can understand them not having the time but the person who got back to me made it out like it's something they don't do in general, which does suck but it is what it is

You could apply for dbs check and that will list anything on the records that would affect the application. I was charged and went to court for ABH twice and found guilty and was fined and bound over for 2 year. This was 20 years before I applied for my sgc/fac. I was asked about this offence when I had the interview. The feo said if anything like this happen again then i would have the guns taken and the licences revoked.

SSS

1 hour ago, super sharp shooter said:

You could apply for dbs check and that will list anything on the records that would affect the application. I was charged and went to court for ABH twice and found guilty and was fined and bound over for 2 year. This was 20 years before I applied for my sgc/fac. I was asked about this offence when I had the interview. The feo said if anything like this happen again then i would have the guns taken and the licences revoked.

SSS

I've asked for a subject access request from hamshire constabulary, just awaiting their reply atm. If I'm honest I can see my first application being rejected on the grounds I've mentioned previously, I'm willing to appeal depending how much it costs, just need to know everything I possibly can beforehand to get the best idea of the outcome. If it is accepted then brilliant, but I'm not sure on how long my record would have to be "clean" for to be more likely of acceptance.

6 hours ago, aidan95 said:

. If I'm honest I can see my first application being rejected on the grounds I've mentioned previously, I'm willing to appeal depending how much it costs, just need to know everything I possibly can beforehand to get the best idea of the outcome.

The only way you will get an 'outcome' is to apply.
If they advise you to withdraw your application after this , then I would do so.

If you dont , and you are refused , this tends to be recorded, and can be held against you in future attempts.
Appealing this refusal would be rather expensive, and pointless, unless you have some evidence that the reason for  refusal was flawed, discriminatory  or inaccurate.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The only way you will get an 'outcome' is to apply.
If they advise you to withdraw your application after this , then I would do so.

If you dont , and you are refused , this tends to be recorded, and can be held against you in future attempts.
Appealing this refusal would be rather expensive, and pointless, unless you have some evidence that the reason for  refusal was flawed, discriminatory  or inaccurate.

Do you know how long I'd have to wait to apply again?