I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me date a gun. The serial number includes no letters, I've checked as many proof mark charts I can find online but I can’t see one that specifically matches. It’s my first gun and was just interested to see. 

It is BNP and proof looks like FD in most lights but could also be ED. 

IMG_3930.jpeg.05850b3c7b0f6558c8d824d6df5537dd.jpegIMG_3931.jpeg.6fedfb005c49dae7895cc5ca6abac50e.jpegIMG_3926.jpeg.84e34b57ad69fae46cf4f4e69f0ced9a.jpeg

many thanks 

Thanks, maybe it isn't a 3800 then. 

The serial number is under the top lever, don’t have any pictures of it to hand. Starts with 2285 from memory. 
IMG_3923.jpeg.3ec8dd36fce77bd91b1799c2f076bd35.jpegIMG_3924.jpeg.b88c3eb31bae36ae359592bb77aef756.jpeg

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome to Pigeon Watch.

And thank you 

I have never dated a Miroku,  but I did have a fling with a Beretta once......I think it was the Italian blood.

Welcome to PW.

I have a list of the letters referring to the dates, but I am unable to put them on here for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Is there any letters in the serial number ? these are a date code these work in reverse alphabetical order , so Z=1 / Y=2 / X=3 etc.  

Hey, no sorry it’s just a 7 digit number starting with 2218

11 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Perhaps originally supplied outside UK, them brought here and proofed at a later date?

could well be, I think I’ll get in touch with Miroku and see what they have. 

Thanks

It an 3800SW action,I have had 2 of them. The date is worked out from the 2 letters at the end of the serial number.

i.e PM = 1980 PZ= 1981  strange if just a number without the two letters, though there are some on Guntrader with just a 7 digit number.

Edited by TOPGUN749

21 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

It an 3800SW action,I have had 2 of them. The date is worked out from the 2 letters at the end of the serial number.

i.e PM = 1980 PZ= 1981  strange if just a number without the two letters, though there are some on Guntrader with just a 7 digit number.

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I thought. I had seen a grade 4 that had the same engraving. 

is yours full full fixed choke? 

The grade 4 was similar engraving but not as good in my opinion,mine were both trap guns,3/4 and full choke,wouldn’t be suitable for steel shot,but hopefully we will continue using lead for many years.

2 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

The grade 4 was similar engraving but not as good in my opinion,mine were both trap guns,3/4 and full choke,wouldn’t be suitable for steel shot,but hopefully we will continue using lead for many years.

Great!

Shame as my club only fires non-toxic. Any thoughts on using it with steel? When I purchased the gun I did ask if it’s suitable for steel shot (as I knew it was of a vintage) he said it would be fine as long as it’s standard velocity. Now I’ve done some research I’m not so sure about that, with it being full choke.

Would rather not return it but will see. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ryanek said:

Great!

Shame as my club only fires non-toxic. Any thoughts on using it with steel? When I purchased the gun I did ask if it’s suitable for steel shot (as I knew it was of a vintage) he said it would be fine as long as it’s standard velocity. Now I’ve done some research I’m not so sure about that, with it being full choke.

Would rather not return it but will see. 

Thanks

I wouldn’t use steel in more than half choke myself, luckily every shooting ground I go to uses lead cartridges,haven’t found a steel only ground yet,when I do I will shoot elsewhere. You could ream the chokes out to 20 thou maximum but it would cost a bit.Assume you want to shoot trap clays over 40 yards? Full is a bit tight for sporting or skeet..

16 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I wouldn’t use steel in more than half choke myself, luckily every shooting ground I go to uses lead cartridges,haven’t found a steel only ground yet,when I do I will shoot elsewhere. You could ream the chokes out to 20 thou maximum but it would cost a bit.Assume you want to shoot trap clays over 40 yards? Full is a bit tight for sporting or skeet..

I’ve seen Teague offer a service but might as well just get another gun. I’ll speak with the dealer that sold it to me, may see what he says. 

23 hours ago, mcw65 said:

Looked through my old catalogues and looks like a 800

I may be wrong but think Miroku started putting letters in the serial number in 1976

this is my Miroku 800sw purchased new in 1976 (still got it) the serial number is 6 digits and no letters.

491069472_mirokugun1.JPG.0157b3b1d5d833a5fae7fafab13d6654.JPG

941502888_mirokugun2.JPG.60856208bd46ea3bbda57644f9f31bc4.JPG

With that shaped action, it is likely to be v springs then  ?  Some 25 years ago, when I ran a shooting ground, we had an early 3800 trap gun that was 3/4 and Full choke. Around that time Gamebore were selling steel loaded cartridges for clayshooting.  We put several 1000's through the Miroku, with the tightly choked barrels, without any damage to the gun. We eventually stopped using the steel shot cartridges for fear of ricochet, when someone managed to shoot the back of the steel trap house. 

2 hours ago, old'un said:

this is my Miroku 800sw purchased new in 1976 (still got it) the serial number is 6 digits and no letters.

491069472_mirokugun1.JPG.0157b3b1d5d833a5fae7fafab13d6654.JPG

941502888_mirokugun2.JPG.60856208bd46ea3bbda57644f9f31bc4.JPG

Very nice, it does look very similar 

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

With that shaped action, it is likely to be v springs then  ?  Some 25 years ago, when I ran a shooting ground, we had an early 3800 trap gun that was 3/4 and Full choke. Around that time Gamebore were selling steel loaded cartridges for clayshooting.  We put several 1000's through the Miroku, with the tightly choked barrels, without any damage to the gun. We eventually stopped using the steel shot cartridges for fear of ricochet, when someone managed to shoot the back of the steel trap house. 

I have no idea, maybe will find out one day if I keep it. We usually use Gamebore super steel, maybe there is a little hope for it then. 

I do wonder if some work has been done already on the choke/barrel, as the proof does denotes 2002-2003 like Mcspredder has said. 

I’ll see what they think down the club too. I did say this was my first gun but I also bought a semi auto to try at the same time, so at least I will have something usable in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, Ryanek said:

Very nice, it does look very similar 

I have no idea, maybe will find out one day if I keep it. We usually use Gamebore super steel, maybe there is a little hope for it then. 

Can I suggest you email Mathew Morgan at Eastfield Guns In Stafford,  known as Miroku Matt. He may take a few days to reply to your email,  but he is VERY knowledgeable regarding Miroku guns. Check out his YouTube vids on vintage guns.

9 hours ago, Westley said:

Can I suggest you email Mathew Morgan at Eastfield Guns In Stafford,  known as Miroku Matt. He may take a few days to reply to your email,  but he is VERY knowledgeable regarding Miroku guns. Check out his YouTube vids on vintage guns

I did actually watch his video on a 3800 with custom engraving prior to purchasing, I will drop him a message and see if he can shed any light. 

18 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

As Tightchoke has already said, welcome to Pigeon Watch.

Thank you Boggy