Chilli night

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

I like mine with chunks of beef instead of mince, also a square or two of dark chocolate added is great. 

I recall Jamie Oliver doing this many years ago,,,, probably online somewhere. The addition of a small amount of chocolate really does make a difference,,,, sounds odd but you can't actually taste it. Obviously it has to be a certain type of chocolate, not just any old stuff 😆

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/06/2024 at 18:20, JohnfromUK said:

My chilli - à la Anglaise.

Chilli (homemade, but from the freezer), bubble and squeak cakes (homemade and oven baked) and broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower.

3A8D17BD-6464-44E5-B5AF-449507BD0772_1_201_a.jpeg

Now there's someone making an effort - Scotch Bonnet or Birds Eye chillies?

6 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Now there's someone making an effort - Scotch Bonnet or Birds Eye chillies?

Not Scotch bonnet or the tiny 'Birds Eye' - which are both too hot for me. 

I think (it's been in the freezer a while) it had a mix of the mixed red and green 'chillies' (the ones about finger sized) and some of the little green 'finger' chillies (which are actually smaller than a finger and about my max heat level when de-seeded).  If it is a bit 'tame', some chilli powder can always be added, but if it starts out too hot - it's not easy to reduce the heat.  It's probably got a few strips of normal bell pepper as well as I like the flavour.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Not Scotch bonnet or the tiny 'Birds Eye' - which are both too hot for me. 

I think (it's been in the freezer a while) it had a mix of the mixed red and green 'chillies' (the ones about finger sized) and some of the little green 'finger' chillies (which are actually smaller than a finger and about my max heat level when de-seeded).  If it is a bit 'tame', some chilli powder can always be added, but if it starts out too hot - it's not easy to reduce the heat.  It's probably got a few strips of normal bell pepper as well as I like the flavour.

You can reduce heat by adding Mango Chutney 👍, your Chilies sound like maybe Serrano, I like to add a Bell Pepper as well.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

You can reduce heat by adding Mango Chutney 👍, your Chilies sound like maybe Serrano, I like to add a Bell Pepper as well.

to heat a curry up add vinegar

to cool it down add sweetness

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

to heat a curry up add vinegar

to cool it down add sweetness

Never heard of Vinegar to add heat - quick google search seems to imply that it does the opposite so now I'm confused. I always use Buldak Hot Chicken sauce, never noticed it adding any Chicken flavour but it has a near perfect sweet/heat effect.

12 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I'm no expert but I would guess Serrano and Jalapeno's.

I have also done a little 'research'.  I get my groceries from Ocado and this is their 'cheat sheet' for the types of chilli they sell

64515011_2_640x640.jpg?identifier=fa672747a3a3e42cb48a2d3e616851e2

The big ones are the Fresno or Seranade (which I presume is the same as the Seranado you suggested).  The green smaller ones are what Ocado call Finger chillies and are below Birds Eyes, butb they are still pretty hot.  I always de-seed.