"Dear Deirdre ....."

Possibly not everyone will get the Deirdre reference but I have a problem of an amorous nature.  Not myself, you understand.  I'm trying to mate my cocker bitch but having a bit of a struggle.

She's a first timer.  The stud dog has previously serviced successfully, just the once, several months ago.  I'm very lucky in the fact that the stud belongs to a friend who lives literally a few minutes' walk round the corner. 

We started a little early, on day 7, just to get them acquainted with each other.  He seemed very keen at the time but she wasn't terribly receptive to his advances unsurprisingly.

This morning was failed attempt no.6

Over the last week, at each visit the bitch has been getting progressively more keen but the dog seemed to have gone off the idea until he finally tried to mount on Monday (her day 11).

What's happening is if they're left alone to get on with it, they don't really get on with anything; he mounts, they move about, he's off.  I've been holding her and presenting her to him which, after he has learned the routine, spurs him to mount with no problem.  The problem is he's aiming way below the target and if any attempt is made to adjust his aim, he dismounts.  If left alone he just thrusts into thin air and that's another pair of my trousers in the washing machine.

It doesn't work with the dog's owner holding the bitch, because then when the dog mounts he is looking straight at his owner, which he obviously doesn't like because he then dismounts and won't carry on.

Physically, they're a similar frame size.  The bitch is a very slim build and he's quite chunky.  We tried giving him a bit of a step-up with a few foam tiles but it didn't make any difference.

On several attempts, he has obviously got somewhere near, the bitch has squeaked and flinched and this makes him immediately stop and get off.  She's gagging for it but he just doesn't seem to have the determination.

I was wondering if anyone with experience has got any advice?

2 hours ago, old'un said:

sounds like you might need some KY Jelly and surgical gloves and someone behind your dog to guide him in.

:Dwe've tried helping like that, but the problem is as soon as you put a hand down there, or touch his rump area to push him forwards, the dog backs off.

Seventh time lucky this evening! Got some surgical gloves on, basted the target area with a bit of sex lube and after several false starts the train finally arrived at the station. 

The tie lasted nearly an hour 😫

My back is killing me because we had to hold them, both were trying to struggle apart from time to time and then the dog decided he wanted to lie down!

Going to have another go tomorrow just for good luck but tonight seemed quite promising

Time for a beer….

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Seventh time lucky this evening! Got some surgical gloves on, basted the target area with a bit of sex lube and after several false starts the train finally arrived at the station. 

My back is killing me because we had to hold them, both were trying to struggle apart from time to time and then the dog decided he wanted to lie down!

Going to have another go tomorrow just for good luck but tonight seemed quite promising

Time for a beer….

Yep, seen it used a few times on difficult matings, surprising what you can do with a bit of lube and a pair of rubber gloves. :)

• 1 month later...

After thinking the mating hadn’t worked, suddenly her teats went up like hat pegs…. It turns out all the hassle was worth it. A probable 5 little nippers due around 25th July!

I need to sort out a whelping box now plus probably many other things I don’t know about yet, as this is my first time. 

I’ve had a little debate with a friend over what I should be asking for the pups. The litter will be KC registered, docked and dew clawed, and sent out having had their first jabs. I was thinking £1k is probably a fair price but he had a different idea. Any advice on that from those with closer experience would be appreciated. I don’t want to undersell myself but at the same time I’m not interested in taking the mickey, just want them out to good homes which two definitely will be already!

IMG_5363.jpeg

On 23/05/2024 at 22:18, Jim Neal said:

Time for a beer….

..........and a fag.....

5 hours ago, martinj said:

And have one yourself! 

probably a fair price these days for pedigree Cockers, Bitches cost more don't they?

Never got the dog / bitch price difference. 

I bought a ftch sired and dam out of cocker champion winner cocker pup for less than the price you are thinking - oh and both parents are health tested. 

Personally I would look for a similar litter to yours and go with that price - there are thousands of litters for sale at the moment. 

Gun Dogs Direct Easy Buy/Sell Gundogs - GDD |

There are plenty here, see above. 

It might not make any difference to some but you can ask more if there are field trial champions in the family tree, We find that Bitches are generally more easily trained and are more sought after for doing trials and tests etc so the asking price can go up.

It's very important to know whether the pups on sale are "working" cockers or just pet cocker spaniels (and it's important to know which you want.) If you are just looking for a house pet and you buy a Working cocker you might be in for a shock 🙂

I think it can be hard these days to get that price, particularly if you want all the pups gone. Its like most markets with supply and demand, at the moment there's a lot of supply, that said, everything is worth what people are prepared to pay. Good luck, hope all goes well 🤞