Members

Fisherman Mike

It has been extremely annoying that having received bids for the recent auction of an air rifle on the Forum it has been impossible to determine if they are genuine bids or just time wasters because many members particularly new ones are not prepared to fill in their personal details when joining the forum.

I have strong views on this and think it should be mandatory for members to give their name basic address and date of birth.

I also am suspicious that we have had some members with multiple membership under different usernames.

Come on everybody what have you all got to hide? This isnt the bloody foreign legion!

What do the rest of you think, or am I just being paranoid?

FM.

I totally agree with you FM. Minimum details should be mandatory.

I seem to remember Ernyha bringing up the same subject on more than one occasion.

I don't suppose there's anything that the moderating team can do about the existing 1000 odd members, many of which don't have basic details ?

Totally agree here on this one D.O.B. especially so as we know what age a member is before posting replys. WHATS THERE TO HIDE

On the subject of 1000 ish members I think that a clearout would be appropriate for those who have not posted in a certain length of time or have not posted at all.

I do agree that some basic details should be mandatory.

I also feel that whilst the forum should be free to view, a minimum level of donation should be paid before posts are allowed.

I do appreciate that it is not Teals intention to run the forum as profit making business, but there is nothing to stop Teal donating to say BASC in the name of the forum. This would give the forum a higher profile, especially if BASC aknowlwdged the donation in its magazine. The minimum donation requirement would also reduce the number of anti posts. At least the moderators still have the power of removal, and people can call me what they like just as long as decent donation is going to a cause that meets with my approval.

Im pretty useless with computers, so I would appreciate it if someone with more skill than I could set up a poll along the lines of donate to post, yes / no?

It must be possible to sweep the database clean of non participant members.

webber

Jonni, you are of course correct. A quick look at just the top 20 posters to this forum reveals that around 75% are not acredited with having made a donation. Lets not forget that these are the people who are making the most use of this excellent forum. I would guess that the statistics get steadilly worse as the number of posts made by members decreases, but I may be wrong.

I would propose free to view; but for posting to be enabled ie membership then a minimum donation of say £5 should be required. With ale costing around £2 a pint and a letter from the halifax to buy cigarettes, it sound like a good deal to me.

I know that some of our members are youngsters, but they dont think twice about tipping parents up for £120 + for the latest must have trainers etc. so £5 for many hours of entertainment and free technical advise sounds like a good deal to me.

We could all enjoy the forum, enjoy shooting, and with Teals approval put something back into our threatened sport.

webber

Webber, I would love to give a donation to this site but as it only can be done with pay pal then no chance I am not giving my card number to them again, but as soon as other methods are available I will be the first to cough up. So before you start going on about some of the top posters not donating think about why not!!!

There may be others who have had horrible dealings with pay pal like me.

Jonni, you are of course correct. A quick look at just the top 20 posters to this forum reveals that around 75% are not acredited with having made a donation. Lets not forget that these are the people who are making the most use of this excellent forum.

I agree entirely, and I would say that I made a sizeable donation in March by Paypal and have heard nothing further apart from it appearing on my bank statement as a deduction.

The more people who are prepared to donate the smaller the fee could be and I definately dont agree that younger members would be at a disadvantage or be discouraged from using the site infact quite the opposite it might get rid of some of the mundane dross we have to endure. Infact many teenagers probably have a higher disposable income than us married men with kids.!!!

FM.

FM

Thanks for picking up on my point, if the antis and nutters had to cough up before posting they would think twice. On being sussed as undesireables their posts could be deleted, but the donation retained.

If this paypal thing is a monster from hell, then Teal will need to make some alternative arrangements, probably not just now as I seem to remember him posting that he was doing his A levels.

Red. I understand that you dont yet have your own card, but I bet that your parents do!

Regards to all

webber

Paypal is 100% safe when you are paying someone you know or trust especially if you are not purchasing anything as such

Visa card transactions over the internet are much safer (in general) as they provide a certain level of insurance, and maybe it would be better for William to enable this option if possible.

IMO a fiver is **** all.

FM

Thanks for picking up on my point, if the antis and nutters had to cough up before posting they would think twice. On being sussed as undesireables their posts could be deleted, but the donation retained.

If this paypal thing is a monster from hell, then Teal will need to make some alternative arrangements, probably not just now as I seem to remember him posting that he was doing his A levels.

Red. I understand that you dont yet have your own card, but I bet that your parents do!

Regards to all

webber

I will be willing to send a fiver in the post if William gives me his address.

Whilst i agree with all the above, i have had my own horror story with pay-pal.

If it is possible for william to introduce another way of getting remmitance to himself then i feel a lot more members would

i am sure , cough up, myself included.

As was said a fiver or whatever, in this day and age, is **** all for such a top site.

Regards Sutty :(

I totally agree Personally I think that at the least location and date of birth should be known what have people got to hide? Its nice to know were someone is posting from that way we can share are experiences knowing were the person is posting from, and it might put off any timewasters from joing. You lot are great but in the past weve had some total ****** on this board prettending to share are interests only to post a lode of **** about us, surley every deterient helps?

I agree completely, Big Dave. Location and DOB helps give an idea of from what angle that person is coming from.

Come on everyone, It's not as if it is asking for your credit card details and home addresses!

I also agree that there should be a clearout of members who have not posted for a long time, or those who have never posted at all.

Well it's time for my two pen'orth.

I have now been a member for just over a year and, during that time, I have met up with some of you and made friends, had a lot of good advice and enjoyed the crack.

I am quite prepared to make a donation, and have enquired about this twice, but the only option open for a donation is Paypal. I will not be using this facility as nobody in cyberspace gets my credit card details.

It looks like there are a few of us who are willing to make a donation, but can't/won't use Paypal. May I make a suggestion that some thought be given to possibly donating a cheque :(

This brings me onto the seperate issue of security on this site. To this effect some of you have requested addresses and dates of birth. I'm sorry, but I will never be entering mine in my details. I get enough junk mail and spam and don't want anymore thank you.

Did you know that a half of all the members on this site have made only 5 postings or less ?? I wonder how many of them are anti- country sports :huh:

When I first joined this was my first experience of a forum and, as such, I left my details blank. It was only when I got the feel for the forum and realised the majority were genuine that I included some details. This option is still open to all members to amend their details. I agree it is frustrating when you are posting to someone and you don't know where the hell they live.

Somebody help me...... I would love to give a donation !!!!!

P.S. And before anyone says it........yes this Yorkshireman is serious......no funnies please......I am being serious for once. :D

This brings me onto the seperate issue of security on this site. To this effect some of you have requested addresses and dates of birth. I'm sorry, but I will never be entering mine in my details. I get enough junk mail and spam and don't want anymore thank you.

Sniper now for my tuppence worth again :(

Sniper after having a look in your profile I fell the only thing missing that I would like to see is your D.O.B. (generalisation meaning everones D.O.B )

I feel this is more important than anything else as there are a lot of kids on here and its good to know what age of a person you might be having a debate with or replying to some nonsensical post.

Giving your name is up to you and your email should be private, apart from the sites moderators, for security and to avoid junk mail or even abusive emails.

However giving a name like dave, john, rob, davy etc linked to your age and a general location (no one has asked for an address) will never lend to you receiving junk mail etc.

I agree with most of the things you have said and this reply is not directed at you its just a reply.

Credit card fraud is a major problem we all know but you should be covered for internet credit card fraud.

Webber,

My horror story is when I started E-baying registered for pay pal and thought great bought my first item and it turned up two days later great stuff I thought........then came my visa statement nearly three and a half grand over four days had been pulled of my card by pay pal in amounts varying beetween 50 and 100 quid, Yes I got it all back but it took a month and a half and all sorts of problems.

So you can understand why I am shying away from using it again!!!

Sniper

I know Teal has looked at getting a p.o box sorted out for cheques but he will not because the owner of the box no. can be traced, so I can see why he would not want to do that either.

Regards

Leon