Using a centrefire calibre

It would probably be ok under the "estate rifle" rule.

The bloke with the .243 would need to be the land owner, occupier or "servant" of the previous 2 on the ground that the rifle will be used on.

I wouldn't have thought just having "permission" to use the .243 on the particular ground would be good enough.

Thanks for the replies, so far. Another question relating to this. What if the person with the .243 was on ground where the other person (who has the .223, and has permission on there) had 'a go' of his rifle? 

Edited by steve_b_wales

Lads! Get a grip!,

who on earth is going to know if x takes a shot at y with z's gun, seriously how do you think people get into shooting? Do you really think no one shoots each others new gun, do you think no  one says to a mate here im looking at one of those can i try it..

Even the police know people get their experience using a gun your actually asked on your interview, have you experience! 

Get out and get on, classic example of overthinking something that no one cares about,will never see and actually prob happens most days of the week!

26 minutes ago, millrace said:

Lads! Get a grip!,

who on earth is going to know if x takes a shot at y with z's gun, seriously how do you think people get into shooting? Do you really think no one shoots each others new gun, do you think no  one says to a mate here im looking at one of those can i try it..

Even the police know people get their experience using a gun your actually asked on your interview, have you experience! 

Get out and get on, classic example of overthinking something that no one cares about,will never see and actually prob happens most days of the week!

This. 👆

I've now found out why my mate is asking these questions. Basically, He has agreed to mentor his friend (who has a FAC for a .22LR & .17HMR, but owns a .22LR) and he has agreed to mentor him to obtain a .223 calibre. The guy has been out with him and has 'had a go' of his .243 on his permissions and also his mates permissions. Now, when I've mentored someone to allow them to acquire a certain calibre, for instance, a .22-250, that person has purchased a 22-250 and then I went with him on his and my permissions to mentor him to use that calibre. According to my mate, the guy who he's agreed to mentor, has informed his FEO that he has used a .243 on his permission and his mates permission/s.  The FEO replied that it was 'okay' and that all he needs is a log of where and when his friend went out with him, and once he gets that, he will grant the .223 to his mate. I personally find this very strange, as, how can his mate get mentored using a .223 calibre, when he doesn't actually own one? 

I have emailed BASC and intend to try and contact them on Monday, as this is a very interesting situation.

And I agree that there's loads of FAC holders who have let their mates etc have a go of their rifles. In fact, this comes under the 'Estates Rifle' where I, for instance, can allow someone, even without a FAC, to 'have a go' of my rifle's as long as I supervise him. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

8 hours ago, millrace said:

Lads! Get a grip!,

If you was going  bye a rifle and you wanted to try it first you would want to shoot it   As millrace said get on with it 

Edited by Rim Fire

I have been mentoring and my flo told me to go to the perm my mate has obtained and him use my 243, create a journal of all things HE shoots, to then apply for variation for a 6.5creeed.

He has a 22lr but was refused CF until he could show experience. So all roe bucks, foxes, rabbits( with his 22lr) out into a journal, including him shadowing the. Dong the post shoot prep all the way through to butchering have gone into his journal, now he has the slot for his 6.5.