Gun rests availabilty

Knock one up with a length of 10mm Rebar if you want to posh it up a bit have a piece welded on to help push it into the ground and a "C" piece on to rest your shotgun in. Tape it up with whatever suitable to protect your shotgun. i recon £15 will cover it. 

I use one of these clipped on to the right hand front hide pole and lean my gun against its prongs.

The lower version is the better one and I use them to hold the net to the poles from the outside.

HIDE CLIP.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Addition of image.

PM sent to Acerforestry, but this is what I made to clip onto the hide poles which I now use. Simples. Not as simple as TC`s idea admittedly.

OB

IMG_4523.JPG

Edited by Old Boggy

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I use one of these clipped on to the right hand front hide pole and lean my gun against its prongs.

The lower version is the better one and I use them to hold the net to the poles from the outside.

HIDE CLIP.jpg

Two great minds think alike T C :lol: , bought mine from the £1 shop years ago along with a card full of the smaller version clips , both the big ones and the small ones have paid for themselves over and over again as they have got many uses both at home and in and around the hide , I used to have the Pinewood poles that had a plastic cone inside the top half of the pole which when in good condition held itself up at your required height , after a while it start to wear out and with the weight of the ole nets it would drop down now and again , one of the small clips on the top half where it married in the bottom half would hold it in the position where you wanted with no trouble at all .    MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Two great minds think alike T C :lol: , bought mine from the £1 shop years ago along with a card full of the smaller version clips , both the big ones and the small ones have paid for themselves over and over again as they have got many uses both at home and in and around the hide , I used to have the Pinewood poles that had a plastic cone inside the top half of the pole which when in good condition held itself up at your required height , after a while it start to wear out and with the weight of the ole nets it would drop down now and again , one of the small clips on the top half where it married in the bottom half would hold it in the position where you wanted with no trouble at all .    MM

Yes, I think I bought my first card of those clips in a pound shop somewhere on the Norfolk coast, YEARS ago.

Such a simple piece of kit and so useful.

I really couldn't see the point of making and carrying a heavy steel post to rest a gun against next to a hide pole that MUST be carried.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, I think I bought my first card of those clips in a pound shop somewhere on the Norfolk coast, YEARS ago.

Such a simple piece of kit and so useful.

I really couldn't see the point of making and carrying a heavy steel post to rest a gun against next to a hide pole that MUST be carried.

You seem like a very practical person Dave , so what is just as important is somewhere to put your cup of coffee when a shot is presenting itself , you know it is part of Pigeon folk lore , is to pour a coffee out when things are quite and then a Pigeon is sure to turn up , so in a split second you want somewhere close at hand to put it down , and then after I miss the Pigeon I can drown my sorrows , so it must be something simple and the simpler the better , over to you T C .       MM

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

You seem like a very practical person Dave , so what is just as important is somewhere to put your cup of coffee when a shot is presenting itself , you know it is part of Pigeon folk lore , is to pour a coffee out when things are quite and then a Pigeon is sure to turn up , so in a split second you want somewhere close at hand to put it down , and then after I miss the Pigeon I can drown my sorrows , so it must be something simple and the simpler the better , over to you T C .       MM

Sorry to disappoint you john, I only take water or squash in 500 ml bottles and they happily stay in the bag they travelled in and return empty to be refilled.

The cartridge bag and the three bottles in the magazine slots stay on the ground, front right next to where the gun is resting.

The rest of the kit, bergan, enforcers and all are at the front of the hide against the net so inside the hide is clear, especially if hosting a second person.

But I will give it some thought, maybe a coffee mug with three long legs or even a VERY long straw.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sorry to disappoint you john, I only take water or squash in 500 ml bottles and they happily stay in the bag they travelled in and return empty to be refilled.

The cartridge bag and the three bottles in the magazine slots stay on the ground, front right next to where the gun is resting.

The rest of the kit, bergan, enforcers and all are at the front of the hide against the net so inside the hide is clear, especially if hosting a second person.

But I will give it some thought, maybe a coffee mug with three long legs or even a VERY long straw.

These are very good for travelling light. 

Spike table from the usual auction site. 

IMG_20240918_073547433_HDR.jpg

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Here you go, take ONLY what you need, NOT what you think might be useful.

HIDE VIEW GUN CARTS DRINKS 2.jpg

Totally agree but it's nice to drive there and enjoy the summer afternoons  after a winter of lugging kit in the cold wet and mud. 👍

Edited by mellors

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes good old Chris, he realised he didn't need it.      :w00t:

One item that is used by many have never been part of kit , and that is a clicker , never seem to had any use for one , if I was having a biggish day then I would go by roughly how many cartridges I had fired and it would normally  be around two out of three , so by firing around 150 shells and shooting reasonably well then at close of play I would be expecting around 100 in the bag , another thing , do those who use a clicker count what is on the clicker , or what they pick up .

Even though my memory isn't as sharp as it used to , I have no trouble remembering how many I have shot on the recent visits as whatever I have shot are in a neat ( small ) pile in  the hide , my ole dog enjoy picking them up just as much as I do shooting them , in fact he more than likely enjoy it more than me , especially if I have just spilt my hot coffee as I had nowhere to put the cup .:lol:   MM

Morning Dave ..... THANKS for thinking about my needs , yes he look the part but he really need to change his clothing as he look a bit scruffy in his working clothes .

My fold up directors chair have got arms on it so when time allow I might get in my workshop ( garage ) and come up with something simple that clip onto the arm of the chair , possibly a down pipe clip and then either my flask cup , or one that will fit neatly into the clip should work a treat , tell yer , any idea I come with is based on simplicity .  :lol:

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Morning Dave ..... THANKS for thinking about my needs , yes he look the part but he really need to change his clothing as he look a bit scruffy in his working clothes .

My fold up directors chair have got arms on it so when time allow I might get in my workshop ( garage ) and come up with something simple that clip onto the arm of the chair , possibly a down pipe clip and then either my flask cup , or one that will fit neatly into the clip should work a treat , tell yer , any idea I come with is based on simplicity .  

They are by far the BEST.   :cool1:

• 2 weeks later...