Ferals or racers

Hi,

I'm concerned about the shooting of feral pigeons over decoys as how can someone see if it's a feral pigeon or a racing pigeon in need of a breather after flying 500 miles.

Has anyone shot any pigeons that they thought were ferals and found that they hold rings on there legs?

I guess some must have because I have only been shooting over decoys a few times now and I had two raceing pigeons come to the decoys the other day.

I know we all shoot woodies but we should also think of the guys who dedicate as much time as us caring and flying these birds in competetive races.

Some of these guys can pay hundreds sometimes thousands for birds, I know as my brother has been into this type of sport for many years. The reason I have placed this post is that the other day he had a race from france to the north of England and one of his birds had been rattled with a shotgun.

This bird flew over 600 mile back to the loft and then dropped dead within the hour. when he checked the bird over he found two shot holes.

This is a sad situation as I'm sure this happens all the time, I think if we see a pigeon and its clearly not a woodie then we must take a responsible view and choose not to shoot it, unless we can identify it as a feral pigeon with no ring.

I think this could only be done by using a rifle and scope.

I personally dont shoot at any pigeon unless its a woodie in case it might be someones racer and I hope my felleow pigeon shooters would follow suit.

Please feel free to comment as its never mentioned in any shooting mags or books.

Happy woodie shooting

Justin

I have shot feral In the past when decoying mate but I have only rarely seen racing birds attracted to decoys tired or not. They tend to rest near habitation and even then its often only very bad weather that will force them them down. Generally also it is only young and inexperienced birds which go astray. If birds are shot then it is normally by somebody being indescriminate and down right irresponsible.

After nearly 30 years of pigeon shooting over decoys and 35 of birdwatching I can fortunately identify most species of british pigeon and dove on the wing as each has its own peculiarities of flight. In that time I have only seen about 6 Racing birds interested in decoys.

As much as it is saddening to shoot a racing bird, mistakes do happen and if you should shoot one record the ring No. and let the Racing Club of Great Britain now about it. As you say some of these birds are worth a good deal of money.

I used to keep racing and ornamental birds and I would always prefer to know if one was not coming home rather than spend several weeks wondering what had become of it.

You will know with experience what are woodies PM so I shouldnt worry too much.

FM.

Lets not get confused here with racing pigeons and EX racing pigeons (ie the ones that have gone wild and teamed up with a flock of ferals).

A farmer asked us to have a go at a flock of ferals that were living in and on his barns causing pollution to his cattle feed and grain.

We used air guns shooting them off a barn roof until they finally got the message and stopped coming back to be shot at.

On picking up we found 3 out of 17 had got rings on but on investigation they had old dates on them and were in dirty and tatty condition suggesting they had been living wild for some time.

Any pigeon fancier will tell you that he doesn't want a bird that wants to join up with ferals and feed in the fields.

A true racer will usually be on its own and not flocked up with ferals and this is the sign to leave well alone.

I totally agree with ernyha.I never shoot passing ferrals but I always shoot them when they try to land on decoys.Thats a good service to the farmer.I have always been told that a racing pigeon that wants to feed while been"at work" is not worth to employ!

as a north easterner and a guy who has mates who keep the things ie racing pigeons,I can assure you if an "active" bird came in to feed or settle with decoys! the owner would shoot the sod? I have seen birds instantly have their necks wrung when they have returned "late"

I know I once took a nice looking bird found sheltering were I work (on the coast)! to a mate who kept pigeons, he looked at it said its a medina or something, its only young so its not going to be any good or it would have kept on and he necked it !!!

cheers Keith

Fisherman Mike,

I can assure you ,in Gods country..........sorry ..Yorkshire....racing birds gone wild are not a rarity at all.

In fact, are we not known, up here, as being flat capped, black pudding, pigeon fanciers up here. :D

I agree with kdubya.

If they land in the decoys they are mine.....if they fly by.....good luck to them.

Ferals I classify as the "Liquorice Allsorts" who hang around farm buildings and sometimes come into decoys. They are usually dozy enough to keep on circling round, dropping in and then taking off, only to come back a few minutes later. Unless the place is thick with them or someone has asked me to shoot them I don't bother. Never fancied eating one.

Racing birds are as Mike says easily distinguishable by their flight characteristics, and obviously I leave them alone. If It does drop in (pretty rare for me) I just shoo it off.

Eug

I've shot hundreds of ferals, at the farmers request, and have had a few with rings on. They were all shot either coming into deeks or flying out of or around farm buildings. Is it just racing birds that are ringed? don't pigeon fanciers that keep them as pets do it too? I've also shot them coming into deeks with a rubber foot ring on as well as a hard plastic one, does this mean that bird was entered into a race. :D

Hi to you all, and thank you for your comments.

To the last post, the pigeon that had the rubber ring was in a race but like many have said they don’t target them if they think they are racers, which is good for racers and good for pigeon shooting in general.

I know what you mean about a racer that has turned feral; they do look like a scruffy pigeon and these, if causing a problem should be culled.

I struggle to see the difference between the flight pattern of a racer and a racer that has turned feral, they are the same bird but I guess there could be a slight difference in the way they fly if hard on the wing hedge hopping.

In general guys is just good to see that most of us do share the view that certain birds and animals do get some grace when we are out with our guns, and I'm sure its just a minority or lack of knowledge that causes some racers to pay the price.

Happy woodie shooting,

PM

Fisherman Mike,

I can assure you ,in Gods country..........sorry ..Yorkshire....racing birds gone wild are not a rarity at all.

The Cotswolds is Gods Country Sniper... You mean a different God.. Buddha or the like :D:lol::lol:

If I were a Yorkshire racer I would'nt want to go home! If I had a choice of Bradford or Cheltenham I would be flying South-West.. :lol::lol::lol:

I've just been watching the BBC2 programme, Britain in the Wild.

Bill Oddie was quoting statistics to do with racing pigeons.

If I remember them correctly, he said that, in a year, 56% of racers will not get home.

3% will be lost to peregrine falcons, various others to shooting and one or two other reasons I can't remeber right now, but the " vast majority" will simply go wild.

Name dropper, FM. :D

I know snipe...I just cant help it! :lol:

In fact only at the weekend I was nearly run off the road whilst driving down a country lane just outside Tetbury ...

A massive V8 Landy RR vogue came hurtling towards me at incredible speed ...

I decided to stand my ground as it was a narrow road and there were several passing places on their side....

The RR mounted the verge and sped by leaving a trail of dust and the regal driver gave me a gorgonesque stare which would root any beast and one half of Winston Churchills famous v sign...

I cannot drop a name being a loyal subject but it was a well known female member of the Queens family beginning with P. A.

I wonder if she is now typing the same tale on Horsey Watch Forum UK. :lol::lol: