feeding the field

tealer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have my two penneth then. Baiting fields is commonly done on large estates to funnel birds away from high value crops- The reason you have never heard of it is because all of you never been invited to shoot such a field after it has been baited. Normally it is reserved for the select view around the game keeper or farm manager. These fields are known as 'Engineered'.

These practices are often also used by pigeon guides to ensure good shooting, and if someone was to ring BASC or DEFRA they would clearly clarify the stance on the situation regarding this.

The last time I shot a fed field with two other guns we took over 700 birds of it in one session. So what would you rather do?

Chase around endless rape fields like we do throughout the winter- Have one or two shots and they all clear off

Or go to a 50 acre field and shoot 250 a piece?

I'll have my two penneth then. Baiting fields is commonly done on large estates to funnel birds away from high value crops- The reason you have never heard of it is because all of you never been invited to shoot such a field after it has been baited. Normally it is reserved for the select view around the game keeper or farm manager. These fields are known as 'Engineered'.

These practices are often also used by pigeon guides to ensure good shooting, and if someone was to ring BASC or DEFRA they would clearly clarify the stance on the situation regarding this.

The last time I shot a fed field with two other guns we took over 700 birds of it in one session. So what would you rather do?

Chase around endless rape fields like we do throughout the winter- Have one or two shots and they all clear off

glad there is someone on this forum who knows what they are talking about :good:well put,

Guest charlie--chalk

hi everyone, im new here! go easy on me :lol:

The thought of baiting a field with wheat seems absolutley crazy to me!! here are some of my reasons!

1) the price of wheat (u may or maynot realise that the price of wheat is around £160/t at the mo and the shear quantity needed to keep a load of hungry pigeons going for a week or so would cost u a fortune)

2) creating a problem when there isnt one (why attract pigeons to a field that is not being affected and putting it at risk in the future)

3) unecessary when good field craft could rectify the problem without having to go to such extravagent lengths.

4) if it really was an effective an sustainable method of sport/pest control dont u think it would hav been done for years!!

these are of course only my opinion

charlie--chalk

happy hunting everyone!

Fair comment, but I still believe that under the terms of the general licence, should this be tested in court, there would be a case to answer. I can appreciate the thinking behind doing it for commercial reasons but have never actually heard of it being done, especially since the price of grain has gone through the roof.

The keepers that I know personally are actually too busy running about and organising the shooting day(sss) etc to have time to go pigeon shooting.

As much as they would enjoy it.

:lol: D2D

hi everyone, im new here! go easy on me :lol:

The thought of baiting a field with wheat seems absolutley crazy to me!! here are some of my reasons!

1) the price of wheat (u may or maynot realise that the price of wheat is around £160/t at the mo and the shear quantity needed to keep a load of hungry pigeons going for a week or so would cost u a fortune)

2) creating a problem when there isnt one (why attract pigeons to a field that is not being affected and putting it at risk in the future)

3) unecessary when good field craft could rectify the problem without having to go to such extravagent lengths.

4) if it really was an effective an sustainable method of sport/pest control dont u think it would hav been done for years!!

these are of course only my opinion

charlie--chalk

happy hunting everyone!

:lol:

Has anyone decided if field baiting is legal yet, I can see its not seen as ethical.

Where could we find out?

Tony

A sensible approach would be to enquire from the BASC thats what we pay our subs for, I WONT tell on you Tony if you want (and can afford the grain :lol: ) to try it.

:lol: D2D

Guest The Outlaw
Has anyone decided if field baiting is legal yet, I can see its not seen as ethical.

Where could we find out?

Tony

You bait a field for a week, I`ll tell the police when you`re going to shoot, then we`ll go from there........ how does that sound ??

Rather a hostile reply to a totaly harmless question wasnt it, I only asked because there wasnt a definite answer in the thread.

I take it then its a no no to bait a field.

As you have responded to me only with such short thrift I take it codling99 and all the others that dont know "everything"are

exempt from such negative comments.

I thought this is a forum to share knowlege and help each other not act like over inflated egomaniacs.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Where could we find out?

Tony

A sensible approach would be to enquire from the BASC thats what we pay our subs for, I WONT tell on you Tony if you want (and can afford the grain :lol: ) to try it.

:) D2D

And I take it from your very polite reply D2D it isnt advisable to do it.

I may have missed something huge on this thread if I have the would yuo be good enough to explain it by pm if it causes the

forum agro to post about it.

Cheers

Tony

What in God's name is all the fuss about? When you put out DECOYS you are, in fact, BAITING the field. There is no difference between food and decoys. Some of you lot talk yourselves into a whole load of unnecessary grief.

If shooting pigeon is 'to protect crops' and decoying is legal, then what is wrong with a little food? If you are going to try and bait a field then do it quietly and don't draw attention to it; don't open a can of worms and get it banned, 'cos, by definition, decoying would be next, IMO.

If, simple killing of pigeon is to 'protect crops', then let's go round destroying nests, eggs and young birds like we do squirrels. Far more efficient! (Shouts of horror!) We walk a perilous path in this game.

When a bird is feeding and destroying a crop in one field, what's wrong with feeding the adjacent field to entice him onto it? Then BANG! He won't go back to the other field! Now that's 'crop protection'! That's the 'game'!

I am not an ANTI, but I am not a regular pigeon shooter either!

But the only reason I can see for many shooters to spend time and money on shooting pigeons, is for Sport!

Which seems contrary to the general licence to me.

Pest control is undoubtedly necessary for the protection of valuable crops etc, but if this was a mere chore, as it is to many farmers, there would surely be a shortage of shooters willing to control these pests, which there seems not.

To me, why would I want to lure a rat into my garden, so it became a pest, and then shoot it, if it wasn't for sport?

I don't care why pigeons are shot personally, but why do many pigeon shooters hide behind the "I'm doing the farmer a favour" chestnut, and admit to shooting them for the 'Sport'. Or could that be construed as being outside of the 'General Licence', and therefore not legal?

Pirate:

Where could we find out?

Tony

You bait a field for a week, I`ll tell the police when you`re going to shoot, then we`ll go from there........ how does that sound ??

Rather a hostile reply to a totaly harmless question wasnt it, I only asked because there wasnt a definite answer in the thread.

I take it then its a no no to bait a field.

As you have responded to me only with such short thrift I take it codling99 and all the others that dont know "everything"are

exempt from such negative comments.

I thought this is a forum to share knowlege and help each other not act like over inflated egomaniacs.

Tony

i didnt say i knew that it was ok to bait a field,and admit not knowing if it legal,and probably isnt,cos nothing is these days,but personally id shoot a pigeon on crops or up a tree me,as far as im concerned their vermin that will decimate crops at the first chance so same job your doing anyway cant honestly see it ever going to court,besides whos gonna know when you are out shooting somewhere miles from anywhere. merry christmas to all and a happy new year

Guest The Outlaw

I took this one step further because obviously I wasnt happy with the answer I got to a perfectly normal question,

I by PM asked DavidBASC if it was illegal to feed fields,

He read the thread and with his permission I can quote his answer.

"As far as I can see there is nothing in law to stop you from doing this...BUT it is not within the sririt of the licence".

David.

Thank you David

This is good enough for me.

My next question has to be to HenryD.

How can you justify your answer HenryD?

Tony

Guest The Outlaw
Outlaw,

Iam sure that if you read the post again you will find that the post by Henryd was tounge and cheek........something that yes even mods are allowed to do :)

However I would suggest that if you have a problem with H's response that you take it up by PM.

NTTF

I understand what you are saying Dan but the simple fact is He has made it clear that it is illegal, not in bad spirit and

that is against the forum rules surley for deliberately missleading forum users.

If I blatantly lied to a genuine question how would that make me look.

This isnt just about HenryD.

If Pirate or Mrs Sweepy or You had posted it like that my response would be the same.

Tongue in cheek isnt easily conveyed by written text so maybe it should be factual and not tongue in cheek anymore.

It is hard enough trying to communicate your points of veiw on here as it is, so from the hip and to the point I am being.

Have a nice white Christmas you lucky so & so by the way

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Sorry mate I have been out, You are not far from the truth there I suppose.

I have had my say and thats it. If HenryD wants to answer for himself thats fine, but for a forum member to

"In a tongue in cheek sort of way" decieve with an answer that has no strength or substance to it in mine and others

opinion is out of order.

To clarify once again "feeding a field to draw Pigeon on to your deeks or what ever, with the intentions of shooting them" is

legal according to DavidBASC and tongue in cheek illegal according to HenryD.

So what is it?

Shall we have a poll?

:)

Tony

Well as it has been sorted that it is not illigal to feed a field then i suppose that it is up to whoever owns or is shooting the land. i for one would not ever feed a field as it would cost to much to keep the field fed. also i would have no intentions to shoot 700 birds in one session. i for one would be happier in myself knowing that in difficult conditions i was able to shoot 30-40 then being able to shoot 250 easy without really having to put much effort into reconnosence and decoying and hide placement etc. that is what makes pigeon shooting, pigeon shooting to me its unpredictable and if you put in hard work then you get good results. i am preventing the pigeons from eating the crop and i am also testing my shooting and field craft, which is what its all about. this is just my opinion.

Well as it has been sorted that it is not illigal to feed a field then i suppose that it is up to whoever owns or is shooting the land. i for one would not ever feed a field as it would cost to much to keep the field fed. also i would have no intentions to shoot 700 birds in one session. i for one would be happier in myself knowing that in difficult conditions i was able to shoot 30-40 then being able to shoot 250 easy without really having to put much effort into reconnosence and decoying and hide placement etc. that is what makes pigeon shooting, pigeon shooting to me its unpredictable and if you put in hard work then you get good results. i am preventing the pigeons from eating the crop and i am also testing my shooting and field craft, which is what its all about. this is just my opinion.

Thats a fair point charlie1, but I'll stick to getting the shooting. As for feeding a field, you would never use neat grain, that would be way to expensive. You use 'screenings' or 'filings' which are a waste product. However now these can be mixed with neat grain to make up the weight these days so they are difficult to come by.

Hemp is a good one too, it definately works so have a word with your landowners and see what you can come up with.....

Might start seeing some some good bags soon then fella's!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been a keeper for over ten years and you call me anti?

the farmer has left this stubble field till march and the pigeon are hamering some sugar-beet nearby so hopfully i will pull them off the crops on to this, i know it works but was just interested if any others where doing the same

I’ll treat the ‘idiot’ bit with the contempt it deserves but I will say this...you in your own words say you don’t have permission to shoot the field of beet PLUS it’s been harvested so what’s the point in your ‘pest control’ exercise??? Aren’t you just trying to lure birds in to shoot for the sport?

Oh and by the way why don't you post your location or are you keepering in London town :lol:

Hi tealer. The farmer of the land I shoot also leaves stubble when it is next to another crop which he harvests later. It does work, and I have only just stopped shooting the stubble as the birds are now on the rape. If you take a walk through your stubble now, you will probably find that all the spill has now been eaten, and that is why they have moved onto the sugar beet.

Baiting a field I have not heard of, though do put a secret ingredient around my decoys to keep them coming back. On a more positive and less insulting note, should you be concerned about these Pigeons, I would gladly come and shoot them for you, and have no conscience over shooting 300 in a day, were it physically possible. If I can be of help, contact me here. Jim..