Negative press..Result!

Blackbart

Last wednesday our local paper,The evening chronicle,ran a story about people under the age of 16 being granted a shotgun license and sayng how disgusted it was that kids as young as 11 could be running round the streets with guns!They then went on to imply that criminals would find it harder to get guns if the police didnt have such a carefree attitde to issueing certificates to people and they should tighten up or even stop issueing them at all! It also qouted the rspca saying it was horrified by the figures and waffled on about swans being shot etc..

I was pretty miffed by this article so sent the chronicle editor an e-mail stating that it was full of discrepencies and give the totally wrong impression of law abiding shooters and was obviously written by at the least someone who knew nothing about shooting or the procedure in aquiring a sgc or someone with an anti attitude to shooting.

He sent an e-mail back saying he would look into it...and i thought yea right.

To my amazement i got a letter from the deputy ed saying after reviewing the article on carefull reflection he agreed with me !!.....the article was misleading and he is going to run another article this week based on my letter to put things right...

Just goes to show if you dont complain,nothing would have been done,but cos of 1 e-mail there should be some pro-shooting press,which will make a nice change.

Merry xmas.

Last wednesday our local paper,The evening chronicle,ran a story about people under the age of 16 being granted a shotgun license and sayng how disgusted it was that kids as young as 11 could be running round the streets with guns!They then went on to imply that criminals would find it harder to get guns if the police didnt have such a carefree attitde to issueing certificates to people and they should tighten up or even stop issueing them at all! It also qouted the rspca saying it was horrified by the figures and waffled on about swans being shot etc..

I was pretty miffed by this article so sent the chronicle editor an e-mail stating that it was full of discrepencies and give the totally wrong impression of law abiding shooters and was obviously written by at the least someone who knew nothing about shooting or the procedure in aquiring a sgc or someone with an anti attitude to shooting.

He sent an e-mail back saying he would look into it...and i thought yea right.

To my amazement i got a letter from the deputy ed saying after reviewing the article on carefull reflection he agreed with me !!.....the article was misleading and he is going to run another article this week based on my letter to put things right...

Just goes to show if you dont complain,nothing would have been done,but cos of 1 e-mail there should be some pro-shooting press,which will make a nice change.

Merry xmas.

Well done mate :lol::lol: merry christmas

Just to update this..page 31 of todays evening chronicle"OUR GUN REPORT IS SHOT DOWN"

They have printed a HALF PAGE apology to their report on gun crime and the" MISLEADING INFORMATION GIVEN"

They also say "LINKING THE ISSUEING OF SHOTGUN CERTIFICATES TO GUN CRIME IS TOTALLY MISLEADING AND FACTUALLY INCORRECT"

It does make an interesting read and at least next time they do an article on issueing sgc they may actually do some research on the subject,before putting it to print,which is another thing they have mentioned in the article.

I am pleased with the article....was a bit worried about a stitch up when they said they were going to run an article on my letter but fair play to them they have held their hands up and said "we were wrong" :good:

Is the story online?

Thanks for all the replies,cant find it on their website but this is how it appeared.

OUR GUN REPORT IS SHOT DOWN

I was contacted recently a mr "my name" regarding an article we carried on the number of shotgun certificates issued to youngsters.Indeed we found one had been issued to a child of 10.We went on to link the issuing of such certificates to gun crime.As mr "my name"said this is totally misleading to the general public and factually incorrect.The article goes straight from the police granting a shotgun certificate to a 10-year old to then associate this with an armed robber in a store!

If your staff had done any research at all,they would have found out that less than1% of all gun crime is carried out by legally held shotguns and less than 5% is carried out by any form of shotgun at all.

"The article repeats several times that these guns should be taken off the streets,which gives the impression these legally held shotguns are carried around the streets which is totally untrue"he wrote.

He went on"To cap it all off,the article is about the procedure of being granted a shotgun certificate and you run through the police proceedure for being granted a firearm certificate which is a completely different thing altogether.

I have grown up with the chronicle and always thought it to be a balanced good read,does it really have to stoop down to gutter press sensationalism like so many of the tabloids?"

Now there is the argument that without guns there would be no gun crime.But thats probably for another day.

But i must say mr"my name",is quite right.To automatically link gun crime with the issuing of shotgun certificates and firearms licences is quite nieve,and i apologise for the misleading impression given

• 2 weeks later...

The article i complained about made it into the shooting times last week in their biteback column

It also annoyed alasdair mitchell who writes for the shooting times but i find his response to it, well......a bit typical really

He says it should be laughed off!

This started me thinking,wouldnt we all feel a bit better about paying our subscription money to basc,ca... etc etc if they took the time to respond to press articles like this and actually stood up for our sport? Imo it would be great pr for whatever organisation.......When was the last time you seen anything from these organisations in the mainstream press?

It seems they do lots of preaching to the converted but very little to stand up for us in the public domain.