Armed robber blasts woman officer

myuserid

What's more likely is that when Radio Four broadcast at lunchtime, they didn't have a definitive version from the police and so relied on newsagencies like AP and PA. Speaking as a former BBC news journalist and current journalist trainer, they would have taken the common aspects of the 2 corroborating agency reports to make the story. They would have got the word pellets from the description of the injuries. I didn't hear it but would take a guess that the air gun reference came from the reference to pellets and was maybe in an interview where the presenter will have been asking about the weapon.

When the police statement became available they changed to shotgun as per the police interview available as video on a link put up in an earlier posting.

Without wanting to start a row like y'day and derail the thread, news reports are never infallible and are only as good as the info made available by police, hospitals and eye-witnesses, none of whom can always give a 100% accurate account. so journos have to make judgements and sometimes they are wrong but not always through their own failings. It's often simply because insufficient info is available but people will still want that news in their bulletins.

Not that journos don't make mistakes - they do - but not all the time. But there will be more and more mistakes or inadequate reporting as more and more jobs are cut in newsrooms. 2,500 going in bbc over next three years. that may gladden the hearts of some of you, butn your news will not improve as a result.

I thought that was an informative post, its nice to hear facts and not speculation about what goes on behind the scenes.

What I heard on Radio4 news at lunchtime I posted, I didn't make it up, or dream it, I heard it very clearly.

Its probable that having to go to Hospital to have a pellet(s) removed from her leg, may have made somebody think of airgun pellet, I have no idea and care even less.

Hopefully , the policewoman will make a full recovery and they will apprehend the villain(s).

Berlimey Keith, just like I don't dislike all policemen, only the ones who make it up - I did say nothing personal mate, and it wern't you making a story up out of bits was it?

I ain't Mr. Perfect either if that makes you feel any better me old chum.

Have a good one tonight mate.

so journos have to make judgements and sometimes they are wrong

so they print a load of ********.

sorry keith i dont know you mate and wish you a happynew year , but i would sack the lot of you.

I would sort of agree with Mark, except I'd sack (and line up against a wall) all the people who have turned factual reporting into a "We need to get there first, facts come later" affair, rather than actual proper factual reporting of events.

Example, TV news reporting on the first time George Bush was elected, or was it Al Gore, or was it George Bush - I can't remember, and they didn't know but it didn't stop them guessing then broadcasting to thew world. I can do that myself, at home, without a satalite dish, run and hide Rupert.

Mungler where was the armed police this time?

Isnt it "dont fire till fired upon".

Eh :good:

Its the army way isnt it, and I am just winding sum1 up as well.

Whats the point in listening to the media anyway one says this and another one says a totally different thing. you just dont know who to believe. I havent brought a newspaper for years now, they are just full of ********.

Eh :good:

Whats the point in listening to the media anyway one says this and another one says a totally different thing. you just dont know who to believe. I havent brought a newspaper for years now, they are just full of B*******.

I've never believed most of what I read in the papers, as "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story" prevails.

I am old enough to remember when the BBC was held up to be the icon in good reporting. OK, perhaps this reputation was 'sold' by the BBC, but it was widely regarded worldwide as the best source of factual information.

The current mob in charge of the BBC have done their best to dumb down to the level where is about as good as most US sources - which is about as bad as you can get.

Apologies here to anyone from the BBC, as no doubt they would be quick to point out that they are doing their best - sorry but guestimating what has happened in the chase for high ratings will win few friends when the guess is wrong.

Don

Eh :oops:

Whats the point in listening to the media anyway one says this and another one says a totally different thing. you just dont know who to believe. I havent brought a newspaper for years now, they are just full of ********.

I have'nt bought a newpaper for years either. Not cos they are full of rubbish.... I worked out a paper a day was costing me 100 quid a year.