gun cleaning

viking

just got a new gun and want to keep it clean, so how often should i clean it, and how, i bought a cleaning kit from gmk, it consists of i rod what looks like a brass loo brush a mop head another bit that looks like a bent hoop, some oil and a can of legiet ( or how ever it is spelt) :good: and another little tube of oil i got with the gun, beretta 686e, i shoot once a week and shoot 100 carts,

any advise greatfully welcome, or is there some book or dvd i could get

thanks guys, Lee

i clean it after any use from 300 carts to 10 carts ....

Same routine every time

1 run the brass brush down each barrel twice

2 squirt both barrels with oil

3 push four pieces of kitchen roll down each barrel

4 run the mop through each barrel about 3 times each

Inside of the barrels will now be a mirror finish

5 use toothbrush and oil plus kitchen roll to clean the outside of the gun and around the ejectors

6 polish for the wood work

one clean gun

when i bought my pump action, it had not been cleaned for 17 years.i cleaned it right out and will not be cleaned for another 17 years.

I think that the advice we should give to new gun-owners is to clean your gun after every use and remember to always check for any obstructions whilst shooting!

Be safe and have fun.

when i bought my pump action, it had not been cleaned for 17 years.i cleaned it right out and will not be cleaned for another 17 years.

I think that the advice we should give to new gun-owners is to clean your gun after every use and remember to always check for any obstructions whilst shooting!

Be safe and have fun.

hiya, at the moment my guns have not been fired for a few months, there for i once a month strip them, pull them through with clean flanallette, wire brush barrels, re pull through with flanalette doused in oil followed by oiling heavily the outside metal parts

is this ok......

when dry cleaned also leave out to breath for a while and polish wood of course

Be safe and have fun.

hiya, at the moment my guns have not been fired for a few months, there for i once a month strip them, pull them through with clean flanallette, wire brush barrels, re pull through with flanalette doused in oil followed by oiling heavily the outside metal parts

is this ok......

when dry cleaned also leave out to breath for a while and polish wood of course

Why do you use the wire brush when the guns have not been fired?

B

roadkill, that sounds like a decent easy method, should i use the oil i have in the little tubes or the legia spray stuff iv got, and what about the internal parts once its in pieces, thanks, Lee

THE OIL I USE IS THE ONES IN THE TINS , also all of the internal parts get a good seeing to with my oil and brush ...

both of my guns still look brand new even though they have had thousands of carts put through them and been out in all weather

My gun gets cleaned after every outing no matter how many carts it has done. As for how, read some of the post on here, do a search and you will develope a routine that works for you and your gun. First time I cleaned my gun it took about 3 hours as it was all new and I kept cleaning the same thing twice etc. Now I have a nice routine that does not take too long and keeps the gun clean.

One thing I would say is don't over oil it.

Edited by AdamC

Just got mine as well, 686 sporter.

Seller sold me a tin of gun spray detergent which appears to be very good. clears all the plastic and lead streaks from the barrells.

clean all the chokes and leave a fine film on everything that is metal.

Bear in mind that the gun is made in Italy and will rust if left damp after rain. My mates Silver pigeon rusted and he can't remove the marks. so, as said, clean after every shoot to maintain its value.

good luck.

Do people here find they need a brass brush for modern shotguns?

I find, particularly after firing a couple of hundred shots with fibre wads, that I get a lot of lead streaks just at the end of the forcing cones and again at the chokes.

I use Napier cleaner spray and a payne gallway brush to scrub the lead off. The payne galway brushes are brilliant and last forever, unlike the normal brushes that tend to get squashed flat on one side after a few uses.

I find that a 'Boresnake' is a good cleaning aid for the regular weekly clean - a quick squirt of bore cleaner onto the snake and three pulls through on each barrel and the bore is usually spotless. Then a wipe over with an oily patch on the metalwork (not TOO oily) and a bit of attention around the firing pins and block and hey presto - as good as new.

BUT - if you are out in the rain it needs a good all over clean after being thoroughly dried out.

If you ever get any blood spots on the bluing (yours or bunnies) you must remove it AT ONCE - blood is very corrosive.

B