Another happy shooter

Topgunners

Whilst you all know that we have been shooting for many years (40+) it always gives us great pleasure when we can put a smile on a "newbies" face.

We have been friends with a local garage owner (Henry) for a number of years and when we pop into his garage every weekend he always greets us warmly and asks how we are doing.

We have tried to persuade him to come out with us one day; many. many times.

He used to be a regular clay-pigeon shooter back in the 60's & 70's using a side-by-side shottie but had not shot for over 20-25 years and had never shot Wild Pigeons in a hide like we do nowadays.

Then suddenly he rang me out of the blue on Friday and said he would like an hour or two "on the pigeons" if we would let him.

We arranged for him to come out with us yesterday and I took along an old Zabala double-trigger o/u for him to use.

We set up on some rape and myself and Alan had shot about 40+ pigeons by mid-afternoon when I got the phone call to say he was ready to meet us and Alan shot off across the VERY wet and muddy fields to bring him to the hide.

Alan said he would go "mooching" whilst I would "put him right".

The pigeons had slowed a bit but I reassured him that they would still be deeking for a while.

We had set up 2 magnets 40 yards apart and a pattern of 20 decoys between the 2 magnets with an old Barn as a backstop behind us to shelter from the slight; but nippy wind.

The birds were dropping into the pattern from a great height for some lovely shots.

Unfortunately the first 6 or 7 lived to see another day as "old henry" decided to become a GAS-GUN .

B)

But as I sat in the background watching him shoot he finally hit his FIRST pigeon in a "pillow case" of feathers and sat there like the "cat who got the cream".

He kept on telling me to have my turn but I refused and only took the back-up shots once he had missed.

We shot a few others and all he kept saying was he was SO IMPRESSED by the magnets and had never seeen anything like it before.

IMG_0063_edited.jpg

We picked up 61 pigeons and then offered to take him to the flooded river (in the background) for a night flight of ducks as a surprise.

Unfortunately the only 2 ducks that flew over I knew them both.

One was called "ZOONY" and the other " Fireball XL5". (for all you oldies out there)

:sneaky2: :sneaky2: :lol: .

Any way, we walked back to the jeeps and said our goodbyes and he never stopped thanking us profusely " for one of the best days out he had had in the last 15 years or so".

PLUS I now no longer own a Zabala as he promptly bought my gun off me. THERE & THEN.

(Are all garage owners wealthy like that???l eh LB? )

To my surprise he rang me about 10pm last night saying he had found a brand new Portable Clay pigeon machine in his garage & 300-400 clays and would we like to have a fun day out one day shooting clays.

I said no problem, whenever he was ready.

Have to get some soft cartridges now as my 32g & 36g Rottweil specials might be a bit heavy.

:o

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

Hi i took a lad not much younger than me (16) out the other afternoon on his grandads farm :lol: . the other afternoon shooting hoping to get the pigeons as they came back to the woods well the little so and so got one and i didnt :angry: another ribbin well worth it every shot he takes he is getting more in to it and another supporter to our sports. :good: