Ear protection

fishybarney

What types of ear protection do people use. Electronic, passive or ear plugs. Is it worth spending the extra money on the electronic types.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Cheers Greg

Jokeing apart I use ear plugs.

I've never used the electronic ones so I can't comment

and I don't like ear muff type protectors.

taz

Guest The Outlaw

Hello mate looks like its me again, the electronic ones are good but only if you can concentrate with people talking around you, I use the cover over ones non electronic as they protect not only the ear canal but the other very sensitive parts of the ear the plugs dont protect.

Tony

i have some electronic hand made jobbies that fit in the ear and they are very good but as outlaw says you really need the over ear ones as they protect your ears much better. I have been a fool over the years and have shot full bore rifles (with no sound mod) and shotguns with no ear protection at all and it has affected my hearing.

Use ear plugs as a minimum but over ear ones for better protection

I am using a pair of simple over the ear protectors for a number reasons really.

1) Shirley at Oxford Guns talked me into them

2) They offer superior hearing protection

3) It helps me keep my head straight when mounting the gun

4) It blocks out the people stood behind me laughing and saying "how did he miss that"

Come summer however I think they will be too hot to wear so will go with a pair of in th ear noise breakers or similar. Unless I start shooting silly amounts of carts, I do not think that a few months of lesser protection will make much differnece. Not sure what I will do if I shoot game though.

Do wear something though, I saw 2 young lads shooting today, both with their dads, weaing no protection at all :unsure:

Hearing protection may not be cool in your mid teens, but I assure you its a darn site cooler than being mutton in your 20's! I have seen these lads twice now, so it is not like they forgot them the first time!

Guest The Outlaw
I am using a pair of simple over the ear protectors for a number reasons really.

1) Shirley at Oxford Guns talked me into them

2) They offer superior hearing protection

3) It helps me keep my head straight when mounting the gun

4) It blocks out the people stood behind me laughing and saying "how did he miss that"

Come summer however I think they will be too hot to wear so will go with a pair of in th ear noise breakers or similar. Unless I start shooting silly amounts of carts, I do not think that a few months of lesser protection will make much differnece. Not sure what I will do if I shoot game though.

Do wear something though, I saw 2 young lads shooting today, both with their dads, weaing no protection at all :unsure:

Hearing protection may not be cool in your mid teens, but I assure you its a darn site cooler than being mutton in your 20's! I have seen these lads twice now, so it is not like they forgot them the first time!

You will be suprised at how cool they can be in the summer, when I'm not shooting I lift them a bit to chat between stands and have never cooked my ears, pop ins are a no no especially for youngsters. Damage early in life from shotgun frequency can be a pain. Ask Calam when she asks me about house work, I never hear a thing :lol:

Tony

Edited by The Outlaw

I'm interested to hear the replies too. At the moment I just use a pair of comfy low profile passive ones, and they were fine for fullbore stuff, so should be ok for shotguns.

Not sure how it will work on the farm though:

Leave them off to hear the pigeons/crows/grouse etc = deaf ears by 30

Leave them on and hear nothing = annoyed neighbours (how was I supposed to know that they could hear me letting off 3 round in 1 second? ) :unsure:

If I am shooting rimfires or my 223 I wear over the ear muffs alone given a choice. I will wear just plugs, but only if they are the good foam ones that fill your entire ear.

If I am shooting big bore rifles or shotguns on the range, then I'll wear BOTH soft foam plugs and over the ear muffs. One blocks the lower frequency a little better and one blocks the higher frequency better. Combined, not much gets to your ears. When I'm not shooting on the shotgun range and standing around talking I'll take the muffs off and leave the plugs in.

I used the radians inner ears with the physical valve for loud bursts and they weren't much better than standard foam plugs. I had a pair of electronic in the ear plugs but the electronic noise bothered me when I was out hunting and there was no benefit at the range. So for now, I'll stick to this arrangement.

Thanks,

Rick

My young daughters use both foam and over ear muff types, total protection.

once your hearing is damaged thats it no going back.

Tony

I am very strict with my kids, both wear muffs when out with me without fail, she pics here for instance:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=49124

The little un was very pleased when I found a set of day glow ones for her.

I grew up not wearing protection, as a result I am suffering about 40% hearing loss in my left ear and about 15% in my right.

They much prefer muffs, and even wear them on bonfire night as they dont like the bangs.

Jerry

Anyone have any problems with over ear protection fouling the stock when mounting the gun?

I find the base of the ear muff just clips the stock when I mount the gun, I normally wear ear plugs when shooting clays and nothing when shooting game so I can hear birds taking flight or a shout for a bird (rough shooting - lucky to fire any more than 6 shots in a day).

Tried a pair of electronic over ear protectors last week on the clay and I was impressed by how they worked but still had the problem of clipping the stock. Maybe I should get some (more) coaching to check my gun mounting? either that or my heads a funny shape :unsure:

Edited by wgd

The peltor ones I mention above have a shaped part for right handed shooters which is for want of a better word a cut out shape, designed so you have more room on that side.

The tactical series are slimmer and have a more severe cutout if you need it, but they are pricey :unsure:

The peltor ones I mention above have a shaped part for right handed shooters which is for want of a better word a cut out shape, designed so you have more room on that side.

The tactical series are slimmer and have a more severe cutout if you need it, but they are pricey :unsure:

Thansk pin, will look into this - have only been shooting a couple of year but don't fancy too many seasons shooting game with no protection.

William

Guest The Outlaw

On my Muffs the ear covers slid as do most types and all I do is slide the right hand one up as not to foul on the stock, if you try this and still foul the stock it is possible you are leaning your head over the stock therefore having a bad gunfit. Put your muffs on and mount your gun in front of a mirror to see what your head is doing.

Sounds like the script to an XXX rated film I saw once :unsure: But it could answer a few questions for you.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

They let some sound through to the ear outside the frequency range of a shooting a section 1 and shot gun raport, for example voices and the such. They are not electronic ones just a valve of sorts.

Tony

My young daughters use both foam and over ear muff types, total protection.

once your hearing is damaged thats it no going back.

Tony

Whats that you say :lol: seriously though my hearing has been damaged through not wearing any protection over years of shooting, I cannot hear high pitched sounds.

All the advice on wearing hearing protection is good, its a must, once damaged thats it.

:unsure: D2D