Hide

Cosd

Bought a pop up hide as I thought it was convenient and quick to set up.

But feel a little cramped inside.

Any recomendations as to what net and poles to go for?

I'd like something around 5' x 12' (someone might advise different)

and try to cut the weight down from the pop up I currently use.

Is 4 poles enough?

There's so many out there to choose from.

I have 3 pieces of MoD cammo netting, 2 sized 10'x5'and one 15'x5'.

This enables me to make any type of hide that I need to suit every condition.

Whilst I take all of it in the vehicle, I only carry into the field what I know I will need.

Try using a pop up hide when the only place for your hide is in a dry ditch, or halfway up a bank. ;)

For hide poles some people use adjustable clothes line poles that you can buy from Wilko and other cheapo stores, some use 5ft green electric fence poles, or you can buy the adjustable ones from ShootWarehouse, they all do the job.

I also carry 6 hide poles and usually use at least 5.

I like the front of my hide to form a slight "V" if possible.

Don't forget a REAL BIG BAG for all your stuff, I just ordered one from UK Shootwarehouse hehehehehehe I was absolutely sick of carrying all that stuff in different bags plus gun and game bag :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, already got the BIG bag, two large pockets on outside as well for gun, poles etc,

along with one of those bucket spin seats.

If you are equipping yourself for all eventualities I would suggest 5 poles. If you intend shooting with a friend, then 6 poles will be required. If you are shooting with another shooter in the hide, a specific safety regime needs to be established and strictly adhered to. If you need it spelling out please ask.

webber

If you are equipping yourself for all eventualities I would suggest 5 poles. If you intend shooting with a friend, then 6 poles will be required. If you are shooting with another shooter in the hide, a specific safety regime needs to be established and strictly adhered to. If you need it spelling out please ask.

webber

We haven't had two of us shooting from one hide yet, but we are considering going halves on a magnet to start with.

For 5 poles, what size net would you recommend (1 person)?

For 6 poles, what size net would you recommend (2 persons)?

As far as safety is concerned, I'd like to think we both practice very safe shooting.

Also one bit of advice I haven't had yet, what type of net would you/anyone recommend?

I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible. I do have a surplus store not too far

but I've read that ex army nets can be heavy, especially when wet.

I would have to empty my bag and measure them. The ex army nets are heavy, and usually stink. Cranfield loves this type of net, but he must like hard work and have a poor sense of smell, on the other hand it may just be that he is very careful with his money. I really meant tight, but dont want to get banned.

There are several good nets available, Deben offer some good ones. I recently borrowed a net from Lancs lad for our bloggered trip to Oxfordshire. Whilst I was not impressed with the shooting, Lancslads net and poles did impress me to the point that when I see him this afternoon I shall enquire as to what its called, and where from, and shall then inform you this evening and then set about ordering one for myself.

webber

Hi guy i was wondering what you think of this Pop up tent? I was thinking of using next to our main hide which is a fallen down fern tree which we have turned into a pretty dam good hide but is really more suited to the guys with shot guns. Is the camo on this tent OK or do you think it looks a bit pants?

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/g...amo/pid/5614352

I think this link is OK as UK shoot warehouse don't sell pop up tents?

Hi guy i was wondering what you think of this Pop up tent? I was thinking of using next to our main hide which is a fallen down fern tree which we have turned into a pretty dam good hide but is really more suited to the guys with shot guns. Is the camo on this tent OK or do you think it looks a bit pants?

Your talking to a man that has really gone off pop up hides as they really don't look natural at all.

The camo design will allways depend on the backround you put it against. If you put this one against a stack of hay bails then yes it will look pants, but against dark foliage it may look OK....

Some of the more experienced guys will correct me I'm sure

LOL cheers guys, there any better camo pop up tents ? Was thinking of maybe sticking some stuff on the tent as my friends woods is right next to the field we have permission to shoot on,or stick a camo net over it ,or is this just pointless and just get a portable hide and spend the cash?

Edited by Numble

Seconded on the PANTS motion. Pop-up hide's......yuk.......thats why we dont sell em. And they're silly money too.

A 2ply stealth net by itself in some situations is not adequate.

Use one in conjunction with a piece of conventional MoD cammo, preferably dessert type approx 3' x 8', on the inside and you can move about without being seen, no need for 'cammo' clothing.

If you cut strategic slots at eye level in the black nylon backing scrim of the stealth net - in the front and sides - you maybe won't miss seeing those pigeons coming in from the 'wrong' direction, you know the senario: its been quiet for ten minutes and suddenly you notice a stoggie, maybe two, walking among your deeks and you think where the hell did they come from!

The tight mesh of the black backing scrim is very bad to look through and cutting long slots at eye level makes it much easier to spot pigeon.

I don't know what the stealth nets were originally designed for or by who but they sure were'nt pigeon shooters.

Cheers, C.B. :~)

CB i don't know what type of stealth net you use but i use stealth netting and can see out OK i use 2 stealth nets as they are so light to carry.

The first one is on the poles nice and tight and then i drape the second one over the outside and let it sag down i bit so i thickens up the bottom half of the net once sat down i can see through the top part of the net no problem.

PS and they are 2ply nets.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have to empty my bag and measure them. The ex army nets are heavy, and usually stink. Cranfield loves this type of net, but he must like hard work and have a poor sense of smell, on the other hand it may just be that he is very careful with his money. I really meant tight, but dont want to get banned.

webber

I have always found that MoD nets offer great concealment, you can add(or remove) scrim as required, they are cheap and being slightly heavy, they don't blow around in the wind.

If its good enough for a tank, then its good enough for me. :lol: