Shooting from a sitting position

henry d

I was out with Newbie and his Dad on Saturday and they had never shot woodpigeon before so it was a learning curve for us all as I had never thought about what newcomers might need to know , regarding decoying.

I told them that there were a few schools of thought about hide etiquette and me and Jim use the "Guy on left shoots birds on left and vice versa and no-one shoots beyond the centre line" style(?) and others use the "One shooter at a time" style.

Newbie is a good natural shot as he`s a youngster and will adapt quicker, however his Dad had problems with either shooting from the seat or getting up and shooting. His answer is that he might try shooting clays, no not at a clay ground, from a seat.

Now I have shot from a sitting position ,for Woodpigeon and duck, from day one and never gave it a thought but I think it is a good idea. I know, from painful experience, that if you have a good day at the pigeons and have to keep getting up to shoot, the thighs get a good old workout and are stiff for days afterwards.

Sooooo has anyone tried/practiced clays from the sitting or indeed any other position (Yes I realise that I am setting myself up for lots of pelters from the Essex Bucks etc. guys & gals)

I was out with Newbie and his Dad on Saturday and they had never shot woodpigeon before so it was a learning curve for us all as I had never thought about what newcomers might need to know , regarding decoying.

I told them that there were a few schools of thought about hide etiquette and me and Jim use the "Guy on left shoots birds on left and vice versa and no-one shoots beyond the centre line" style(?) and others use the "One shooter at a time" style.

Newbie is a good natural shot as he`s a youngster and will adapt quicker, however his Dad had problems with either shooting from the seat or getting up and shooting. His answer is that he might try shooting clays, no not at a clay ground, from a seat.

Now I have shot from a sitting position ,for Woodpigeon and duck, from day one and never gave it a thought but I think it is a good idea. I know, from painful experience, that if you have a good day at the pigeons and have to keep getting up to shoot, the thighs get a good old workout and are stiff for days afterwards.

Sooooo has anyone tried/practiced clays from the sitting or indeed any other position (Yes I realise that I am setting myself up for lots of pelters from the Essex Bucks etc. guys & gals)

Interestingly our clay club had a stand once, many years ago, that represented a pigeon hide, you had to shoot from a sitting position. Scores were so atrocious, and there were so many complaints, that it was never done again!

OK, that's your sensible answer from Essex, now go for it lads!

I have never heard of Clay Grounds offering this training or facility, but I am not a regular Clay Ground attendee, so it may be out there.

90% of my hide shooting is done from a seated position and it comes naturally to me.

I also think it reduces missed and pricked birds, because it forces you to stick to a fixed shooting area.

When standing, its very tempting to take shots that require extreme bodily contortions and should really be left.

If these birds are not "saluted", I find they often swing round, come back and provide a much easier shot.

I like cranfield shoot most of my pigeons from the sitting postion in the hide .Its a technique that has to be learnt .Ifound the biggest mistake guns will make shooting from the sitting postion when trying it for the first time is shooting over the top of the birds .When shooting from the sitting postion you need to mount the gun higher in the shoulder to bring the barrels down a bit .Being comfertable is the key ,i sit on a fishing box in the hide with a cushion on the seat .Because you are not using your feet to get into postion for the shot you have to compensate another way .When a bird comes into the pattern ,being a right handed shot i shift my weight onto my left buttock and i am then able to swing onto the bird as if using my feet .Its not a difficult tecnique to learn but does take a little practice and thought to master . Good luck .Harnser .

I also shoot from sitting - less movement to scare birds away - it's amazing how far a pigeon can get between you starting to stand up and being ready to pull the trigger! Sitting down means gun into shoulder and shot fired before the bird even knows you're there!

On the clay ground thing - I've never seen a ground with a permanent "sitting" set up but have been to a few clay shoots with duck or pigeon stands where you had to sit down - usually on a bale. Good fun and amazing how some struggle with easy targets when they have to sit...

Hi Henry honey, Slug and I have shot clays, in a hide, on a straw bale, at Drayton Parslow.

It was quite an experience on clays, one of which is the positioning of your legs, not a lady-like sitting position I may add. I hear it was an idea of "he who shall not be named" :good: and seemed popular with the chaps that enjoy rough and hide shooting. Straw does however cause problems with suspenders and scratches places that shouldnt be scratched.

If I know there is to be a stand like this in the future, I will wear jeans rather than a skirt.

Itchy Sarah

Hi Henry honey, Slug and I have shot clays, in a hide, on a straw bale, at Drayton Parslow.

It was quite an experience on clays, one of which is the positioning of your legs, not a lady-like sitting position I may add. I hear it was an idea of "he who shall not be named" :good: and seemed popular with the chaps that enjoy rough and hide shooting. Straw does however cause problems with suspenders and scratches places that shouldnt be scratched.

If I know there is to be a stand like this in the future, I will wear jeans rather than a skirt.

Itchy Sarah

I can sympathise with getting straw in your suspenders ,it can be very scratchy i know how it feels . Worse still is straw in your liberty bodice and girdle . Harnser .

It depends on the situation if I shoot sitting or not. If the birds are comming in just right I can shoot sitting , but if they are wide or variable in their aproach I stand. My kill ratio is better standing even though many of the birds are jinking after having seen me. But then i never shoot well at incoming birds if there is any breeze ( as they never seem to fly straight ), prefering to take then as they turn away.

The reason I ask if anyone has practiced shooting clays from a seated position is to help newbies Dad and anyone who may have difficulties getting to a standing position from a seat ie. those who are older, disabled or have back or leg problems. I believe they can get a trap to practice so I hope they can get something sorted.

As you said Henry d practice is the order of the day....Just a suggestion why not get him to sit in the garden on what ever he

is using as a seat, put up some netting in front of him, and get him to mount the gun, and to keep trying until it at least feels a

comfortable action. Like most things something knew takes a bit of getting used to!... Plus when he gets the hang of that he has to learn

to pivot his hips to swing the gun, and that's a whole new ball game! :lol::lol:

But any way i wish you all the best with your protege. :lol:

Mutley

Knaresborough Clay Shooting Ground (North Yorkshire) used to incorporate a stand where the targets had to be shot from sitting position, it's not difficult.

I shoot in a hide from a sitting position sometimes and I know there are several paraplegics who have no choice in the matter.

As far as hide 'etiquette' is concerned you should be teaching em the importance of only having one shotgun in use with the second person sat BEHIND the shooter.

Cheers, C.B. :lol:

Interestingly our clay club had a stand once, many years ago, that represented a pigeon hide, you had to shoot from a sitting position. Scores were so atrocious, and there were so many complaints, that it was never done again!

A clay ground I used to shoot at did this once too, although it was simulated duck coming from behind your head. The chair had spindly little legs and was sinking into the ground at the front so badly that people were practically falling forwards out of it! :lol:

This was just one in a long line of weird ideas the ground owner came up with. He once spent days building a huge "Star Shoot" layout replica (anyone remember Star Shoot?) like a huge dart board segment out of scaffolding poles... except his version had a manual trap and reluctant trapper and was a total disaster! :lol: