1-1 variations

casts_by_fly

i have 12 months ago sold a 17hmr i had on my cert with a moderator all on my fac ,i in the last few weeks decided to purchase another 17hmr which i missed so i went and bought another from a fire arms dealer ,a day went by and i had a call from the local firearm dept to say i was in breech of the law as i did not have a variation on my cert to buy a 17hmr,so the police came and took my rifle and i filled a variation in all was ok ,after thinking about it i bought the same calibre and mod that i had on my cert after i sold it did i need to send another variation to add on my cert and cost £20 to add. looking forward to the replies.

Hi Armourer,

I suspect when you sold the HMR and mod you did not ask for a (free at this point) one for one variation at the time you informed FEO of the sale/transfer.

If you had it would have left you with a free slot for HMR and mod,

If you didn't, as I suspect, when you sold HMR and mod you effectively removed the slot from your cert. Subsequently you then needed to pay for a variation to allow purchase of another HMR and mod.

I am suprised firearms dealer did not spot that you may not have free slots on your cert for rifle and mod and checked with FEO..

Apologies if I have misread your post.

By the way how are are you keeping?

Not according to my FAO - he will let you change 1 calibre for another as a 1 for 1 hmm1.gif

Same here. According to West Mercia, and I've done this twice in the last 2 years.... A 1 for 1 is just simply getting rid of 1 caliber for another rifle. Be it the same caliber or not. In my case, Once i had submitted my variation (1 for 1) i was told by the West Mercia Firearms dept office staff that as i went from a .357 Mag, in their eyes to a rimfire (.17wsm) with Less power they could authorize it themselves, (so they said....) and no FEO need be involved. They returned my ticket with the .17 WSM authority on there, and a separate one for 3 months to get rid of the .357 Mag.

I think that despite wanting a 'National Data Base', There will still always be some ways that are more localized than National...

Hi Armourer,

I suspect when you sold the HMR and mod you did not ask for a (free at this point) one for one variation at the time you informed FEO of the sale/transfer.

If you had it would have left you with a free slot for HMR and mod,

If you didn't, as I suspect, when you sold HMR and mod you effectively removed the slot from your cert. Subsequently you then needed to pay for a variation to allow purchase of another HMR and mod.

I am suprised firearms dealer did not spot that you may not have free slots on your cert for rifle and mod and checked with FEO..

Apologies if I have misread your post.

By the way how are are you keeping?

thanx good shot but your right i did not ask for a 1to 1 at the time as i assumed if i sold my hmr it would still be on my ticket maybe time to get glasses :) AND READ

only when you increase the number of guns on cert will you need to pay for a variation.

he knows.

hi mark well i didnt know when i had a 17hmr +mod on my fac and sold it they say i then need to reapply for a variation because when i sold it ,the 17hmr was deleted of my fac and i need to pay£20 for a variation to add it back

Edited by armourer

i have 12 months ago sold a 17hmr i had on my cert with a moderator all on my fac ,i in the last few weeks decided to purchase another 17hmr which i missed so i went and bought another from a fire arms dealer ,a day went by and i had a call from the local firearm dept to say i was in breech of the law as i did not have a variation on my cert to buy a 17hmr,so the police came and took my rifle and i filled a variation in all was ok ,after thinking about it i bought the same calibre and mod that i had on my cert after i sold it did i need to send another variation to add on my cert and cost £20 to add. looking forward to the replies.

How the **** did an RFD sell you a rifle without an open slot on your FAC?

HE should have been prosecuted for breaching his RFD conditions & illegally supplying a firearm!

You are doubly lucky that the FEO only made you fill in a variation form & pay £20

Yes, read the wording on your FAC - tells you all you need to know on the form itself = it also gives you the expected penalties for breaching the terms of your FAC.

VERY lucky!

thanx good shot but your right i did not ask for a 1to 1 at the time as i assumed if i sold my hmr it would still be on my ticket maybe time to get glasses :) AND READ

Not in the UK itself: only happens if the FAC holder & RFD are both in Northern Ireland = as that's how they do one-for-ones there

How the **** did an RFD sell you a rifle without an open slot on your FAC?

HE should have been prosecuted for breaching his RFD conditions & illegally supplying a firearm!

You are doubly lucky that the FEO only made you fill in a variation form & pay £20

Yes, read the wording on your FAC - tells you all you need to know on the form itself = it also gives you the expected penalties for breaching the terms of your FAC.

VERY lucky!

i can understand why the guy in the shop didnt query it as when i open my fac it has a slot for 17hmr+ mod so he would still assume i had it on my fac it was there from the original purchase of the fac as i sent details of the selling of the last hmr but they didnt update my fac

i can understand why the guy in the shop didnt query it as when i open my fac it has a slot for 17hmr+ mod so he would still assume i had it on my fac it was there from the original purchase of the fac as i sent details of the selling of the last hmr but they didnt update my fac

...his inability to count open slots & compare them to the completed purchases table is somewhat at question.

Surprised how he not only did it in the first place but how he is still trading.

I sold my fac air rifle so what you are saying I can go out and buy another one same calibre and just inform them I have got it

Unless Scotland is different, when you informed your FEO of the sale of your FAC air rifle you should have asked for a one for one variation at that time, which would leave you with an open slot for another fac air ( or whatever calibre they would allow you.) to be purchased at another time.

Otherwise the existing slot you had for the now sold rifle be lost.

a change of caliber isn't a 1 for 1, its purely to changeone for another of the same caliber.

You need a full variation for a different caliber and makes not a lot of difference if you sell the other first

No it is not you could change a 22 moderator for a 308 rifle if you want

No it is not you could change a 22 moderator for a 308 rifle if you want

This....

Done similar a few times.

Mixing up like-for-like with one for one

With the former the locals sort it out by post. Anything involving a change = home visit; they're blessed up here to be so ahead of their workload that they can send folk out for minor admin jobs.

Sitting waiting fot the phone to ring every morning....

Changed a 17hmr mod for a sec 1 shotgun... could change that back for an fac air rifle. Doesn't matter what it is it's one for another providing you have a slot already. Say you want a 308 and you are upgrading from a 222 you sell the 222 put in a variation for the 308 and mod and boom, back in the post and not a penny.

1-4-1 means change of guns of the same calibre. All you do is enter details on your certificate of the sale and purchase, notify Firearms dept of sale and purchase, by recorded delivery(Tho some accept E-mail)and do not need to send FAC in until renewal, when all guns will be officially recorded on new cetificate. This is free.

You cannot change calibre or add an extra gun, even of the same calibre, without a variation application, which costs £26.

If you want a moderator for the new calibre, even if you had one on the "sold" calibre, that has to go on the variation application also. Unless you've got an open certificate, you may also get another check from FLO.

If in doubt contact your local FLO

I have sold my fac air rifle so are you saying I can get another one different make but same calibre as long as I let them know . There are a lot of conflicting posts on this rule can someone give me a definite yes no answer

A 1 for 1 is 1 slot for another. Wether it be silencer or rifle or fac shotgun. Regardless of calibre. You could change a .177 fac air for s 338 lap mag if could justify the reason for owning it obviously

Thanks Hendrix I have got the jist of it . But what I want to know as I have sold my fac air rifle technically I have a slot to replace it .Do I need to apply for the veriation to buy the same calibre or just get it and inform them afterwards

Yes, you need to send in a completed variation form.

Slots disappear when the firearm is sold.

Thanks Hendrix I have got the jist of it . But what I want to know as I have sold my fac air rifle technically I have a slot to replace it .Do I need to apply for the veriation to buy the same calibre or just get it and inform them afterwards

Best advice is for you to ring your FEO and ask do you have an open slot for fac air rifle (and mod) on your ticket.

Technically from what I have understood, you do not necessarily have an open slot on your ticket.