Gurkhas

Fisherman Mike

Anybody been following the Gurkhas predicament in the press?.

Some have been refused citizenship by the Home Sec and effectively deported...

Is this the way we treat the most loyal and fearless members of the British Army?

Obviously it is... Yet another nail in Blairs coffin. The sooner the GE comes round the better for everybody..

My late Uncle fought with the Gurkhas in Burma in 1943 I am sure he would weep if he were alive to read the reports of their treatment at the hands of the British Beurocrats.

Japanese soldiers were so afraid of the fearless little men from Nepal that their snipers had been known to tie themselves in the canopy and commit suicide rather than risk capture by the Gurkas who would show no mercy. He had nothing but the upmost admiration for them and thought that they were the finest fighting force in the world.

FM.

SAS..............****e............bring i the ghurkas...............

the MP`s of today have a very short memory...............

they let terrorists live and move freely in our country the ghurkas have more right to be here than anyother "boat person"

who the hell voted these people in?

bring on the GE !

all the MP`s seem to be "anti english"

whats happned?

I understand that the subject of the Ghurkas is an emotive one, and aknowledge the excellent record that they have, but stop and look at the situation from a different angle.

I once worked for an American company, should I have been entitled to American citizenship?

The Fench Foreign Legion is exactly that; are they entitled to French citizenship?

Are the British workers who go and work in Saudi, entitled to Saudi citizenship I think not.

So how do we justify giving citizenship to foreign soldiers who happen to be employed by the British army.

Before anyone starts, lets not go down the assylum seeker etc. route

webber

Interesting Logic but not quite the same Webber... I beg to differ.

Being chosen for conscription to The British Army is the biggest honour that could be bestowed on these Nepalese soldiers and their families...

They are British Soldiers of the British Army... not mercenaries. If people join the FL they do so generally to escape a dubious past.

They are thought good enough to fight and die for a cause which essentially means very little to their own countrymen and I feel they have been let down very badly. Particulary has they have covered themselves in glory at virtually every British military campagne since the mid 1800,s.

As I understand it you dont get to apply to join the Gurkha regiment you have to be invited.

FM.

i recall a story of a Gurkha regiment given the honour of a parachute jump ,in front of the queen ,from around 10,000 ft apparently one of the nco's approached the english officer and asked if they could jump from 5,000 feet instead as the chance's of survival were higher ,after some deliberation it became apparent that

the Gurkha regiments have not ever jumped and didnt know they could have a chute to jump with :lol::lol: they had no problem with 5,000 feet though :lol:

gutsy little blighters ,i dont know how much truth is in the story but i can beleive it from other accounts of there heroism, no prob with citienship from this corner

That Story is quite true and happened I think infact during the Burma campaign. When told they would be jumping from Aeroplanes behind enemy lines there was much dissention in the ranks. The adjutant in charge explained that his men were not unhappy to jump but requested that it could be 1500 feet as they would have a better chance of survival. It only then transpired that they didnt realise they were to be trained and issued with parachutes....

I dont doubt they would have done it...

Let em have citizenship I say, I would gladly pay my taxes to support them..

Let em have citizenship I say, I would gladly pay my taxes to support them..

Well said FM,

Blairs government is doing a good job of wrecking whats left of this once great country. They do little to eradicate the illegal (and i stress illegal) immigrant problem, but pick on the few people who were willing to actually fight with us.

Sounds like basic bullying to me - pick on the ones who are least likely to argue.

Its disgusting to treat them this way.

SAS..............****e............bring i the ghurkas...............

the MP`s of today have a very short memory...............

they let terrorists live and move freely in our country the ghurkas have more right to be here than anyother "boat person"

who the hell voted these people in?

bring on the GE !

all the MP`s seem to be "anti english"

whats happned?

tHE DECISION NOT TO GIVE THE GHURKAS EQUAL PAY AND CONDITIONS WAS TAKEN WHEN THE TORYS WERE LAST IN GOVERNMENT.

C.MOSELY ANTI-ENGLISH? IS THERE AN ENGLISH ARMY NOW THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT?

JIM

I listened to a debate on this subject, on the radio, the other day.

Like a lot of us on here I was in favour of giving them citizenship, especially when you consider what a lot of other asylum seekers offer this country :lol:

But then an ex squaddie came on the programme and explained that the main problem is not with our Government, but with the Nepalese Government. They want them to return home, after their military service, so their country can benefit from their pensions.

instead of being a smart **** jim..........lets have your view fo a change..........

it seems to me you go around correcting people and not really joining in the topic.........

are you just being "cleaver"?

iv met your sort before............your all the same.

always pulling people up...........but not joining in................just sitting on the fence.

:lol::lol:

D.A.M.F.

The loyal gurkhas deserve better than they are currently recieving and I sympathise with there plight, however, there are OAP's born and bred in this country who served in WW1/2 and are living in conditions that we should be ashamed of.

I deliver what I can spare when pigeon and rabbit shooting to them. In return I get to hear the most amazing tales of wartime heroics and have on occasions, cried when the tales were told.

Before I get called a 'racist' again, let me point out to you that I spent the first 17 years of my life in Brixton. I call a arab a *******, a black is black and asians are brown.

My school was 70% non-white and I can say hand on my heart that the best mates I have, and there are not many, are non-white.

Sympathise with the Gurkha's, but spare a thought for the men and women of this country that gave there all and got precious little for the efforts in their twilight years.

LB

Jim & C Mosely, SHUT-UP

there are OAP's born and bred in this country who served in WW1/2 and are living in conditions that we should be ashamed of.

In return I get to hear the most amazing tales of wartime heroics and have on occasions, cried when the tales were told.

when you put it that way LB your right ,i also have spent many nights listening to the tales of an old warrior ,went by the name "ron gapper" served on HMS FEARLESS an old salt with many a heart-wrenching story, so i can see your point as well

i guess we've all become a little complacent over the years,

and without the sacrifice of many, we wouldnt be here talking with this amount of freedom now, so i say

"LEST WE FORGET"

martin