Fly fishing this afternoon

MC

Guys,

As I finished work early today I decided to spend a couple of hours at Chigboro' fisheries near Maldon. After speaking to the baliff she advised fishing the bigger lake (Rook Hall) with red buzzers. I took her advice and tried that for a couple of hours with no success.

I then moved on to the smaller lake (Priory) and started to fish there. After about 20mins I had my first take which resulted in the top fish in the photo's. I had a walk around the other side of the lake and tried a different area of the lake and after probably 1/2 an hour I had the second fish. I finished there as I had only bought a 2 fish ticket.

The first fish was caught on a imitation bloodworm and the second on a red fly, don't know what it is called but it was taken from the surface.

My question is, what is the top fish? to me it looks like a salmon. The lakes are apparently stocked with them so it is a possibility.

The "Salmon" weighs 2lb 1oz and the rainbow is 1lb 12oz.

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Edited by martincavie

Apparently and I have only read of them but there is a cross called a salmon trout, I have never come across them in the waters I fish but would certainly like to, did it fight well or did you tow it in like a log?

Let us know if it tastes any different.

:good: D2D

Well done, what you have there is a rainbow.

This is a salmon.

I've pixellised my ugly face, but it's a real photo.

You can tell by the torpedod shaped head, and the big wrist on the tail.

post-11113-1207762814.jpg

Edited by cubix

Thanks guys,

It fought incredibly well, leaping out of the water on several occasions. Can't do a scale count, it has been filleted and is now in the fridge for tomorrows nights tea.

The photo isn't that clear but it has no colour on it's flanks at all, and no spots. the black above the lateral line are missing scales.

I thought that it could possibly have been a salmon but it doesn't have the hooked bottom jaw either.

Never mind they where both decent fights and and one of them will be done justice tomorrow with a few new potatoes and some veg.

Cheers

Martin

Martin

You can also tell by the teeth, if its been in fresh water any length of time it will develop teeth like a jack russel complete with enamel. If they are like little pin-pricks its a rainbow.

Good going to get them on the top when the weathers been this cold. :rolleyes:

They are both rainbows, they come in all shapes, sizes and colours.

Some places started stocking the blue variety which fought realy hard, but I think that was just a phase.

Rainbows change colour very quickly after being killed, which is a pity as they look great with that bright red colour to them.

They look a good size to eat Martin.

Has anyone ever suggested a PW fly fishing meet?

They are both rainbows, they come in all shapes, sizes and colours.

Some places started stocking the blue variety which fought realy hard, but I think that was just a phase.

Rainbows change colour very quickly after being killed, which is a pity as they look great with that bright red colour to them.

They look a good size to eat Martin.

Has anyone ever suggested a PW fly fishing meet?

Good idea.I would like to cast a line with any local lads.Even put a few quid in the kitty?

Martin, that's a fish.

Do let me know if I can assist any further.

Mung

Thanks for that Andy,

I always wondered why the sport was called fishing, now I know.

I just need to stock up on some more stories for the next time LV drives us to a shoot

• 2 weeks later...
that salmon that you have is badly colourd and should have been put back tut tut :good:

On the basis that deer stalkers cull ill, injured deer to keep a healthy population, why would you put this one back?? Also on a put and take trout lake, would it be worth it. Bet it tasted no different.

MC,

All those lessons on Micheal's lake has paid off, I see :hmm:

SS

This is a salmon.

that salmon that you have is badly colourd and should have been put back tut tut :good:

On the basis that deer stalkers cull ill, injured deer to keep a healthy population, why would you put this one back?? Also on a put and take trout lake, would it be worth it. Bet it tasted no different.

SS

The reason he said the fish should have been put back was, the fish is a wild gravid hen fish. She had been in the river a long time and was nearing spawning.

This is a salmon.

SS

The reason he said the fish should have been put back was, the fish is a wild gravid hen fish. She had been in the river a long time and was nearing spawning.

Having re-read the whole post, I see Hutchie was actually referring to the pic of said large salmon and not the Rainbow/salmon/salmon-trout that MC had posted the original pics upon. Couldn't work out why you put about being in the river not long, when MC had stated that he fished chigborough lakes. DOH!!!

SS