over the top

markbivvy

hi all

just got in from pigoen shooting. on a new farm, me and two

other lads. had a **** day myself could not hit a thing. my mates had 28 between them. the feild we was on has houses about 350

mts away on one side of the field, i noticed a chap watching us with binns about 4pm from one of the houses. no worries everthing is in order. pacs up about 5 pm, gets 400 yds up the road. my mate driving says. lot of old bill behind us. i says here we go. next thing rolling road block armd cops all over the car.

me gets out and said my permits in my pocket, cop with tommy gun says dont move or put your hands in your pockets. i looks down the road and you would not belive how many cops with cars were there. ever blue light flashing . bobbys running round like it was a war, permits out writen permision out, the no 1 says iam going to take the guns out of your car so dont move or come near me, in he goes, first out is a browning semi auto. mine, he looks at it for 5 mins than askes me to show him how it works,

he nearly fell over when i pulled the action back and a snap cap flew out. he just new how to work a side by side, then its a berreta out, do this one for me , had to warn him that there was a snap cap in that too, other cop comes back with my permit and askes me why my guns are not on it, i says yes they are, he says no they are not, so after i showed him how to turn the page over

he says. oh, right, why dont we phone the police and let them know next time and save all this trouble. how can i says me this is the 4th farm we have called in at today. he sayr try another sport then

I think the biggest ***** is the "do gooder" (alias "***") watching you thru the bins at 4pm who obviousely called Plod in.

Maybe if you were furtively sneaking around and firing off a shot and then legging it he would have cause for concern.

But someone that takes their time, sets up decoys and hides, stays there for a couple of hours not trying to hide from anyone but the pigeons ?

And then takes their time packing up, and walks back to their cars ?

These busy bodies really get my goat up ! :<

he sayr try another sport then

:devil: I'm afraid if he said that to me in similar circumstances, I would have replied with something along the lines of:

"If that's the way you deal with people who are carrying out a legitimate pursuit then I would suggest that it is you who ought to try another career "

I can only agree with the previous posts that at times they are complete idiots.

It is obvious as soon as they arrive at the scene that the shooter is just shooting pigeons etc and nothing more than a check on his certificate and permission to be there is called for. :P

Well said ern.

It doesn't take an Einstein to work out the Police have access to lots of datbases, including DVLC. A quick check on the car should have revealed who the owner was, then a quick check with their own firearms database should have revealed they were dealing with legit owners.

If they had done this surely they could have responded in a less threatening manner. I can't see why legit gunowners have to be subjected to the same kind of response as, say ,an armed bank robber.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in this case, in that I think it would have been far better to approach markbivvy, in the field, well away from the public, and the check would then have been well contained. But they may not have had the time or opportunity to do this.

This type of thing makes you think about what your response would be, if subjected to this sort of heavy handed approach.

I agree with all of your comments guys.

But ....

ex plod told me a month or so ago, plod loves these types of calls as it justifies armed response financial budget, training !!, fast cars and plods time away from the mundane duties also it gives them experience.

Where did it happen ??

Stopped once on the M6 in Cumbria 20 years ago, old Leyland Sherpa van, going wildfowling, plod wanted driving license, MOT & insurance .... I had the lot. "Open up the back" requests plod .... Semi-auto, 10 bore and 8 bore under the clothes, "going shooting are we lad?" (I was 32 yo) .... no request for certificate!!

"Have a good time" jumps back into his Vaux Senator and off he goes.

How times have changed ??

Just read on the news tonight about a 12 yo walking with his dad near a golf course in Castleford, shot in the head, area is known for lamping, youngster is critical in Pontefract hospital. Ask his dad if plod are right or wrong.

Just a thought

Mark,

Sorry to hear of your saga,

I should think a strongly worded letter to the areas chief ****stable (sorry finger slipped) and mention of an appologie (fat chance) would be in order.

Plus a letter to your local mp and papers refering to a total waste of time.

Bloody lucky you were not shot on sight.

We once had the wiltshire police helicopter land in our pattern and a cosworth come racing across the field at us, mind you after it was all sorted i had to pull the cossy out because the **** got it stuck.

I know how you must have felt (**** scared) law abiding shooters should not have to put up with feeling like criminals and always looking over thier shoulders for do gooders.

hi Martin

i felt sorry for my mate, he has just put in for his sgc, he went white and started shaking. then said if this is what happens when your shooting i dont want a permit.

me and the other lad have had this all before.but we both felt as thought

if we had moved a bit to fast we would have ended up like the pigeons in the boot

ex plod told me a month or so ago, plod loves these types of calls as it justifies armed response financial budget, training !!, fast cars and plods time away from the mundane duties also it gives them experience.

roger rabbit ,your right,this is one way of training,unfourtunatly from mark and friends point of veiw not a very comforting one, as was said DVLC records would have put all at peace, though i do wonder if the cops let the "goody 2 shoes" know that you were all in keeping with the law :devil:???

just curious ,maybe you could ask the at the local nick as cookie suggest's

and kick up a stink .

mark i hope you can persuade your friend that the incident wasnt the norm and he continue in the pursuit of permit

safer shooting trips in the future buddy.

martin