17 HMR what do you regard long range????

Anything past 150m is long range for me. I think my longest shot so far has been 153 and I was trusting the gun to do the business with that one. Most of the time I try and keep the range down to below 150 though: Better safe than sorry.

My personal best shot was a crow at 208 yards.

I was using my Burris LaserScope with a 100 yard zero and I happened to spot the crow and range it at 208 yards. Ideal volunteer I thought for the second dot of the ballistic plex at full mag. The shot was straight into strong wind and I hit it about 2" lower than my POA. I'd say the extra 8 yards and strong wind would account for that 2".

The first plex dot is very consistent for a 150 yard bunny shot.

I've shot and killed at 240 yards but and a big but, this was on a patch of cover crop with no where to get closer and the rabbits were coming out the far end of it so we did do a spot of target shooting before hand to get the drop sorted. One things for sure it still killed well at that range and did sort the problem out, more usual is 100-150 yards 150 at night seems a long way with one

Edited by al4x

I'm holding on fur to 160-ish with mine zero'd at 130. To me, long range is over 200. between 160 and 200 is pushing the limits, but still not too bad for holdover (I think I'm 4" low at 200 with a 130 zero and 1" low at 160). I just missed a hare last week at 250 because I misjudged the amount of holdover needed. At 250 I need a foot but only gave 8". The bullet was dead on line, but exploded some dirt in front of him. Now I know for next time.

Most of my shots are in the 100 yd range as I've got a lot of open fields to shoot over. Some are as close as 30 when I first sneak into a field. Some will push the full 150-160 limit when they have spooked and make their first stop (lately they stop about 300 yd away when they first stop and then don't stick around much longer).

All distances are from the range finder.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks

rick

anyone have some ballistic data for one of the .17HMR rounds?

vegeta,

the varmint al website gives a lot of good info. Chuck hawks has some more. If you have any of the ballistics calculators or use any of the online ones you can calculate the data yourself. The BC for the 17 gr heads is right around 0.125 and the diameter is .172. Muzzle velocity on the tin says 2550, but I'm pushing 2600 average on my gun.

thanks

rick