Just sold a gun, but the buyer is not happy

dazzyboi

Right, basically last week i sold my CZ rifle to a guy on guntrader, the package included the gun (excellent condition) SAK Mod, and a parker rifle slip (cheap jobby). This kit was sold for £250 including RFD Transfer. So really the sale of the kit came to £230. 3 pictures of the gun were posted with the advert including the rifle slip.

The buyer has now come back to me saying that there is a tiny ding on the side of the gun, and the parker rifle slip was unsatisfactory and that he would like money off it? im sorry but is this a joke? for the condition the rifle is in, apart from the 1 tiny ding, its in mint condition.

Iv asked for pictures of the tiny ding just to confirm that it is nothing major, but with regards to the slip im not happy with what he is saying as the slip was shown in the picture.

Did you mention/show the ding in your advert ? If not you may want to consider because of that. If you did then the buyer knew that it was there and shouldn't of made an offer if he was unhappy with the ding! The sling was shown so he got what he made an offer on! Would definately not offer money off for the sling (as you said it was only cheap anyway!) however the ding in the rifle may be something ? Depends what you did/said really mate!

I would say that he is trying it on, if what you say is correct. He has bought second-hand and expects new? To me, "excellent condition" does not mean new and unmarked. Even new guns may have a "tiny ding", if you are satisfied that you descibed it fairly, ignore him.

I'd say that if you posted clear pictures of the gun and he's looked at them, what more can you do? If it's something you hadn't noticed to point out and wasn't visible in the photo then it must be pretty minor. The sort of thing you get on a second hand gun really. I've bought new ones with a tiny knock on them, these things happen!

As for the slip, he's seen the photo again, how can he moan?

I'd check it's not a major dent caused by the courier. If they've damaged it then put in a claim for a new stock and give the buyer £20 off. If it's nothing worth moaning about, tell him he's being unreasonable and the second word is OFF!

Edited by njc110381

Here is the wording on the advert:

Mint condition CZ American 452 .17hmr, a truly amazing rifle which produces some very tight groups. Package includes rifle, 5-shot mag, bolt, SAK Moderator and a parker gunslip. This gun was bought a year ago brand new but has only had 150 odd rounds through it in its short life. The rifle has been kept in storage and cleaned regulaly. The good thing about this gun is that the wood finish on the stock is lovely, it's a dark tanned oil finish which makes it stand out to other CZ rifles with the standard stock finish. For an additional £10 I will also supply 90 rounds (Federal). I am based in South Wales (Monmouthshire area), I also work in Cardiff/Caerphilly and can travel upto Porthcawl. RFD Delivery can be arranged subject to delivery charge.

here are the pics

cz11.jpg

cz22.jpg

cz33.jpg

He has asked for £20 back.

I would advise him that you have no offer to make. If he is unhappy with the deal ask him to return the goods at his own expense and you will refund the purchase price.

It may also be worth looking at other similar packages available for sale and compare prices

webber

He also added that if i do not pay the £20 there "will" be problems?

Whats he going to do, shoot me?

Threatened you then? Not a good move.

1. You've sold the gear cheap anyway. He ain't gonna get a deal like that in a hurry.

2. He's seen the pictures.

3. Caveat Emptor.

4. C'mon, name names. Who was it you know you want to tell us. And someone may say, I know the ******, etc.

Tell him to go away in short sharp jerky movements (censor that if you will) and like someone said, suggest the threat will be forwarded to his FLO.

Edited by DaveK

The item was purchased as described on guntrader, he agree'd to purchase it after I even dropped the price for him. He actually payed £220 for the kit as the £30 was put on delivery and fuel to goto the RFD.

I do not have the money to do a complete refund as this has now gone back on money I owe on credit cards. If he is unhappy with the deal thats his problem, if he wanted to give the gun a 100% full on going over then he should have thought about meeting me, as mentioned the dings cant be that major as I failed to notice them!

I'm guessing this rifle had scopes mounted to it and the marks left might be the so called dings

the idiot in question is referring to. :hmm: just a thought but i'd report his comments as stated above

and then ignore the whole thing! ;)

The gear is second hand. The man's a loon if he thinks it will be perfect. I assume it was advertised as used. You already dropped the price.

Tell him to go forth and multiply (he's probably that far up hisself that he'll come fifth and subtract)

On saying that and in fairness to the other party, although this sounds cut and dried, there are always two sides to every story and it's not really fair of us to flame the other party without knowing his/her side of it.

Personally I believe Dazzy the sheep here ;) as I can imagine the situation and have sold rifles before where people have tried it on.

But we don't know.

NOW HANG THE ...................................

Just had a phonecall from him, he has now admitted that he spoke to his RFD who took the gun in, and that the marks are FRESH marks, and he also admitted that the RFD my end who wrapped up the gun did not wrap it up very good.

I have agree'd to settle this with a £10 refund, not because of the gun or the slip, but because it was sold with the 90 rounds included in the kit, it was only when I got to my RFD that I found out that live rounds could NOT be shipped with the gun, I agree'd to refund the £10 the day the gun was sent.

Edited by dazzyboi

Here is the wording on the advert:

Mint condition CZ American 452 .17hmr, a truly amazing rifle which produces some very tight groups. Package includes rifle, 5-shot mag, bolt, SAK Moderator and a parker gunslip. This gun was bought a year ago brand new but has only had 150 odd rounds through it in its short life. The rifle has been kept in storage and cleaned regulaly. The good thing about this gun is that the wood finish on the stock is lovely, it's a dark tanned oil finish which makes it stand out to other CZ rifles with the standard stock finish. For an additional £10 I will also supply 90 rounds (Federal). I am based in South Wales (Monmouthshire area), I also work in Cardiff/Caerphilly and can travel upto Porthcawl. RFD Delivery can be arranged subject to delivery charge.

As others have said, he sounds like a muppet, as for "trouble" etc, well that's just muppetry on stilts.

Just a tiny and very picky point, but mint does suggest perfect. I have a friend who used to be a serious comic book collector (geek) and mint meant mint - ie, never out of the bag, no allowances for being second hand. Might be best to avoid the expression in future, and then pedantic whingers haven't got a leg to stand on.

Robert

The problem is the word "mint" in the ad.

Mint means as new, not a mark on it. It doesn't mean slight dings and a little wear and tear, it means "like brand new".

If it's a new ding caused in transit or by the RFD, then that's one thing, but if it was there before you sent it, then it's not a mint gun.

If I bought something described as mint, and it wasn't mint, I'd complain too. Unfortunately, it means that if you bought a NEW gun from an RFD and it had a ding like this in it, you would not accept it. Even though this gun of yours was second hand, if it's described as mint, then he wouldn't accept it with a ding. It may be in "excellent condition" but not mint.

Edited by Chard

Just had a text of the bloke now saying that the gun doesnt fit in the slip with his scope??? ***:unsure:

this is the slip i used with the gun for a year, it could easily get a CZ rifle with SAK mod + Simmonds Whitetail classic 6.5-20x50 scope and zip it up.

He is off his head

Chard is spot on.

Mint means as perfect as a freshly minted coin, in unblemished brand spanking new condition.

You have two options, send him the £20 or tell him to sling his hook and ignore him.

For what its worth I would send him the £20 and blame myself for an overenthusiastic advert. We have all done it and learnt from the experience.

Charlie

Have just read your latest post....................ignore the above and tell him to sling his hook !!!!!!!!!

Edited by CharlieT

He also added that if i do not pay the £20 there "will" be problems?

Whats he going to do, shoot me?

Well, he does have your gun now :angry:

Good news is that with that awful slip and that dink in the stock I bet it won't shoot straight either :unsure:

Frankly, my guns get used. That means they get dinked. I am amazed at the gayness that some exhibit with their guns (LV).