Release pen

I always have a snare or two set around the perimeter of the pen. Never caught a fox in one in 16 yaers, don't know why I bother :unsure:

I do tend to put rags soaked in renerdine/ creoste around the pen though as a deterrent. If nothing else it will make it very difficult for a fox hunting by scent for poults that jugging outside the wire.

If you ever get a fox in your release pen you will really wish you had put electric fence round the outside !!!!.

Portable electric fencers were the best thing invented.

Lose a couple of hundred birds in a night and a fox hiding in your pen and a very unhappy boss................and tell me they arnt necessary.

You chaps do as you see fit.

I put 16,000 birds to wood so my release pens are on the large size. There is no way on this earth I would risk not using electric fox wire round the pens and rely on snares alone.

All I can say is, before the advent of portable powerful battery electric fence units I used to get the odd fox in a pen since using electric wire it's now (touch wood) a rare occurrence.

ah thats a good idea?:hmm: a release pen with no electric fence is asking for trouble :good: :unsure:

once a fox is in a release pen you stand to loose all the birds in the given pen as he won't kill just to eat.

granted it's a deterent but in my opinion a much better one than snares :angry:

Edited by catroofel

I have a better defence then an electric fence, get an Eastern European to walk the perimeter of your fence for 24hours a day.

I like to see an electric fence around the pen as a extra security. But if you have a strong fence with no holes in it doesnt really matter does it?

I have a better defence then an electric fence, get an Eastern European to walk the perimeter of your fence for 24hours a day.

I like to see an electric fence around the pen as a extra security. But if you have a strong fence with no holes in it doesnt really matter does it?

we dont use them.

Get onto the jobcenter then

those who don't use them are ones who haven't had a fox in one yet. Unless your wire is very well dug in and even then you still run the risk you'll loose the lot over night. Snares round pens do catch but they are no guarantee by far the best option is electric fencing plus snares.

When i started keepering in the mid 80's, we never had electric fences. Before the birds went to wood my job was to cut hundreds of wooden pegs to be hammered in to the bottom of the wire. Over the top of that we used to lay tree trunks/big branches to add extra weight to stop Brock/Charlie digging under. Then a dosing of the creosote/diesel/used engine oil mix in a watering can.

Never had a problem. BUT.....But.....Have only used electric fences since then, still use all the other methods as well. Overkill maybe?