17HMR v 22RF - Noise Levels

Hi,

I am about to buy one or other of the above and still have not done so as want to be sure. I met someone yesterday however who allowed me to fire their 22RF and I was not aware how quiet it is with a silencer. He then said he also has a 17HMR but it is a lot more noisy and perhaps as loud as a 410 shotgun, even though it has a silencer. Any comments please..........is this the case on the whole, or does this guy have one very noisy 17HMR?? Thanks

Admiral

Subsonic .22LR rounds are very very quiet when moderated. The .17HMR when moderated, could be described as a loud crack similar to a ruler being slapped on a table. If he is comparing his HMR to a .410 shotgun blast then I would imagine he is not using a moderator on it, or the moderator he is using is not very good.

Hi,

i shoot both 22lr and 17 hmr. The 22 with subsonic rounds is very quiet but you still get a thud when it slams into a rabbit.

The 17 hmr is alot louder even when fitted with a sound mod as its the round which makes the noise as its breaking the speed

of sound so is a bit like a sonic bom. On saying this i have better luck shooting bunnies with the 17hmr its a faster more powerful and

more accurate round which flys on a flatter trejectury. you can also have bunnies at a greater distance with the 17.

good luck with choosing your rifle.

I shoot a lot of rabbits with a .17hmr and very rarely use the modderator as it affects accuracy especially on long shots and although considerably louder the noise doesn't seem to make the rest of them run away any more than when shooting with a moded .22lr. Mods are sh#t!

I shoot a lot of rabbits with a .17hmr and very rarely use the modderator as it affects accuracy especially on long shots and although considerably louder the noise doesn't seem to make the rest of them run away any more than when shooting with a moded .22lr. Mods are sh#t!

i use a moderator on my .22 cz and i wouldnt say it is ****

anyone will tell you a mod on .22 rimmy is good as when shooting at night

and when shooting when live stock in fields you dont want to spook any live stock and have them running all over the place and worse loosing any shooting permission

most farmers prefer the people they let on their land to shoot prefer as little noise as possible

even more so at night

anyway just my opinion

moderators are not **** if they were then why has so many people got and use them ? :lol:

ask any farmer which would they prefer lots of noise when fireing the gun or no noise what so ever

and 99.9percent will prefer no noise

Edited by radio1ham

Can you give us more info on what you plan to use the gun for? I shoot both the HMR and a .22lr, and each one has its merits.

For ranges of around 40-80 yards and if you have a good backstop, .22lr is fine. You'll need to learn the trajectory and range estimation pretty well to hit at all ranges, but what you will have in your favour is a near silent but powerful tool.

If your ranges are likely to be over 80 yards regularly then the .22lr is going to be pushed. However, with the HMR you can go on to 150 yards on a still day. The backstop need is also reduced (although you still need one, it doesn't need to at such a steep angle). It will make a crack when fired, so care should be taken if shooting at night and close to dwellings. They're not as loud as people make out in the open, but they do make a bit of a crack.

In my situation, my .22lr rarely goes out. The HMR is an amazing tool and you can aim spot on from 50-120 yards and get a good hit. My land is quite flat and there are not too many houses around.

In my opinion, a moderator is fine. I've never found any accuracy issues with them and fit one to all my rifles.

My biggest suggestion is not to jump in too quickly. Give this a lot of thought as they are two very different beasts.

I shoot a lot of rabbits with a .17hmr and very rarely use the modderator as it affects accuracy especially on long shots

can you tells us more about this please.

its a new one on me.

Me too.

I have a Sak on my HMR and never had an issue with accuracy, I am comfortable taking shots out to 180 on rabbits with mine.

Re the noise, yes they are nosier than 22LR but the noise is from the supersonic crack, no mod is going to kill that. On rabbits they often dont get where the noise is coing from and you can bowl over a number in quick succession.

Jerry

I've got Saks on both my .17 and .22. Not seen it affect accuracy in the slightest.

As for noise, the .22 just sounds like the noise of the firing pin hitting the casing and a slight pop, near enough silent, whereas the .17 makes a definite crack. The .17 is a lot mroe effective at range, but for some reason I really love the .22. It is just _so_ quiet. The rabbits never stand a chance when it is around. Hell, getting three in one group as the others were wondering what had caused one of their mates to have a lie down?

Is the question about 17hmr compared to sub-sonic .22 or hypersonic 22?

I would say the latter is about the same(?) maybe with the hmr being slightly noisier.

The former, moderated, is only slightly louder than an airgun, the most noticable sound is the click as the cartridge is hit by the firing pin.

I shoot a lot of rabbits with a .17hmr and very rarely use the modderator as it affects accuracy especially on long shots

can you tells us more about this please.

its a new one on me.

biggest load of tosh i've heard in ages. An un moderated HMR you pretty much need ear defenders for. I have no issue with my moderator affecting accuracy and as stated yes its noisier than a .22 but the rabbits don't know where the noise is coming from so if anything look up when you take a shot leaving you clear to take the next one easily.

Whilst the .22 is quiet the rabbits don't always just sit around waiting to be popped off! The HMR is not quiet but with a moderator there is no need for ear defenders. I have found it confuses the rabbits- and they sit up whilst you get another couple of rounds off. Whether this is because they have just not experienced the HMR I am not sure.

I have also been target shooting on a bit of my permission and find that even with fairly constant shooting rabbits pop out of cover to get feeds within one hundred yards of me. So if your sound concerns are about prey (and not humans) I would get the hmr, as it is a ridiculously accurate round. The only downside is that the bullets do cost more, but unless you have a major vermin problem and are firing thousands of rounds, I would say this only is a small consideration.

I have both, bought the .22 first very rarely use it now since having the 17Hmr.

the 17 is a far superior round yes its a little noisier but you can kill at twice the distance with confidence, at 150 yds plus you canget multiple shot of on a bunch of bunnies, without risk of ricochet.

Thank you ALL so much for your replies, this is very helpful and I think an 17HMR will be added to the list soon. For those that were wondering, it would be used on rabbits upto 150 yards and i dont really have any problems with houses, it was just whether the rabbits would run after the first shot.

I will post again when I have finished working up after purchase.

Regards

i use a moderator on my .22 cz and i wouldnt say it is ****

anyone will tell you a mod on .22 rimmy is good as when shooting at night

and when shooting when live stock in fields you dont want to spook any live stock and have them running all over the place and worse loosing any shooting permission

most farmers prefer the people they let on their land to shoot prefer as little noise as possible

even more so at night

anyway just my opinion

moderators are not **** if they were then why has so many people got and use them ? :hmm:

ask any farmer which would they prefer lots of noise when fireing the gun or no noise what so ever

and 99.9percent will prefer no noise

Well maybe not sh#t but i don't like them on the .17, I do use one on the .22. There's no issue with noise around my neck of the woods. On the .17 i just don't get on with the silencer i definately do notice it doesn't group as well, it makes the rifle longer and less manoeverable when shooting from a vehicle and it also catches any wind when shooting standing not to mention it's an absolute bas#ard to clean out especially when firing 100 rounds at a time it doesn't take long to get choaked up as the .17 is not a very clean burning round. I only hav a sak one maybe a more expensive one that covers some of the barrel would be better?