4x4 tyres.

Cranfield

I am in the market for four new tyres, nothing too brutal , as I have to do quite a bit of road work as well.

Any recommendations for reliable, long lasting and cheap tyres (I appreciate the words "reliable/long lasting/cheap/tyres" don't usually appear in the same sentence :good: ) ?

I have been using Bridgestone Dueler H/T689 265/70R15 110S, they are quite good, but I am being quoted just over £100 for new ones.

If you can get them in your size, BF Goodrich All Terrains are good. Not cheap by any means, but if you plan to keep the car for any period of time they're worth the investment. I've heard of them running to 100k miles before now! They're also very reasonable off/on road.

For better wet weather grip on the road Yokohama Geolander A/T are great, but they wear a bit faster.

if u want cheap then go for a remould, if u want long lasting go for a brand new one, such as BF.

im running greenway chaco MTs, there remoulds, done 5 and a bit thousand on them so far and theyve still got plenty of tred left on them. and they only cost 50 quid.

Recently replaced all four Bridgestones on my Shogun with BF Goodridge All Terrain. They are fantastic and not any noisier on the road than the Bridgestones. Offroad they are excellent when out shooting, even in really boggy fields they just dig in.

I used Event Tyres after a lot of quotes, they fitted at my home all included in the price. I'm pretty sure they worked out about £400 for the set fitted at home, and the service was 1st class.

Kwik Fit quoted £600+. I asked for a quote from them as they were coming out to put three new tyres on my company car, and I thought they would do a good deal as they were already coming out to fit them at home, and I would be buying 7 tyres in total.

Can't fault the tyres or the service from Event Tyres, and not much more than buying the Bridgestones. Mileage from the Bridgestones wasn't great, can't comment on the BF's yet, but I have spoken to a lot of friends who have used them and they say they get at least twice the mileage out of them.

Only down side is the Shogun is the wife's car, and I bought them just before Valentines Day. I thought it was a great present - but she didn't !!

Hope this helps

We run BF Goodrich ATs on all the farm trucks, but I have General Grabber AT2s on my Disco (Goodrich doesn't make ATs for 18" rims). The Grabbers are cheap at £97 per tyre, and have an almost identical tread pattern to the Goodrich ATs. I use them on-road and off-road in equal measure.

If you can get them in your size, BF Goodrich All Terrains are good. Not cheap by any means, but if you plan to keep the car for any period of time they're worth the investment. I've heard of them running to 100k miles before now! They're also very reasonable off/on road.

For better wet weather grip on the road Yokohama Geolander A/T are great, but they wear a bit faster.

I agree with njc, the BF's are a very good tyre but expensive.

We run both our trucks on the Yokohama Geolanders now, good value for money.

Mark.

i got HANKOOK DYNAMIC MT RT01 33X12.50R15LT on mine.

awesome chunky teads.

propper mud pluggers

fairly cheap i think

looks meaty as****

got 4,as new for �50,mate has car breakers though.a one off bargain.

the constant whirring of road noise does your head in though.

had yokahama geolanders before,excellent tyre.

Edited by Cranfield

a bit depends on the age of the truck and how refined it is on the road. BFG AT's are brilliant both off road and on road ability plus the fact they seem to last forever. Downside is the price but then if they last twice as long who cares. I had the colway copy on my last fourtrac, cheap but the garade swore about balancing them and used enough lead to keep china happy for a while. I did 30K on them and they only looked half worn but I'm sure fuel economy was no where near as good as on the real set of BFG's I had before. I've just picked up a set of hardly used BFG Long trail tyres on ebay which aren't in production any more for my L200 so I'll see what they are like.

<_<

i keep looking out for a good set of tyres for my xtrail.... not 100% off roaders but something a bit better than standard road tyres....

a 50/50 would be nice with NO big increase in road noise....

thing is the size....

215/65/16....

i cant seem to find any at a reasonable cost.....

any ideas?

shaun

it had 235/70/16s on when i bought it.....supplied by the garage but they caught on the inner wings on full lock

when i took it back they admitted they were the wrong size and put original fitting 215/65/16s on

Thanx.... shaun

Edited by shaun4860

Another vote for General Grabber AT2's, just got 5 (4 plus spare) fitted for £500 (265x70 R16) from Blackcircles... I originally wanted the BFG AT's but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere, they seem to have a bit of a supply problem at the moment. The AT2's were quite a bit cheaper but seem to do the business, handle well and make no noise.

PajeroTyres004.jpg

Edited by alexm