Which .22LR Should I Buy? CZ / Ruger / GSG

SurreyCarl

What .22LR does Carl buy?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which model for a good all round .22LR?

• Ruger 10/22
    • CZ
    • GSG5
    • Something else.....

i must thank everyone for the comments.

im still non sure, but i *think* this will be my line up to get rid of thosy pesky empty slots -

.22 - Ruger 10/22 Special. http://www.lowmillranges.co.uk/images/shop/edit/rifle_15.jpg OR a CZ

.223 - Remington 700, harris bipod and 6-24x50 Tasco Scope

7.62 - hmmm..not sure yet. need to save my pennies first.

and as for a bp pistol, well i favour the .44 Ruger Old Army

But seeing as this thread is about a .22LR, i loved all the feedback.

Will flip a coin and decide in next few days.

".22 - Ruger 10/22 Special. http://www.lowmillranges.co.uk/images/shop/edit/rifle_15.jpg OR a CZ"

Having a laugh are you not? Are you aware of the difference between this and a CZ? What sort of choice is that?

Well yes, 2 completely different rifles. My sensible head tells me to get a low maintainence CZ, but the "plink, plink" fun head tells me to get something based on the ruger action and a few spare magazines.

Ideally i want to find a gunshop that has a range and put some rounds through both so i can see what feels good, and which rifle fits better, but i dont know any that can offer a range.

Well, no, in an *ideal* world, i woudl have one of *everything* and my own 100 acres, but sadly thats not possible.

Never shot a CZ before, but it obviously has lots of fans (according to this thread) so i may find one and have a plink to see why its so highly rated.

Hi Guys

I am surprised no one has suggested the Browning .22 T bolt .I have owned a moderated one of these for about 20 years and its given hundreds of bunnys and at least 4 foxs the last rites over that time and not one misfire or jam in all that time its great for getting off that second shot realy fast. Mine has a 4x40 centre post wide angle Niko scope zeroed at 100yds and still gives 1" groups. in fact it shoots better than I can .The only gripe is it could do with a 10 shot mag instead of the 5. Best shot todate is a head shot on a bunny at 130yds. Which is nothing to my CZ .17 HMR . I believe its just come back into production its not cheap but then qualitiy never is

regard

Alan

I want to get a rimfire also but the big choice first is .22 or .17! The trajectory on the .17 is soooooo much flatter than the .22 its like a different class. Really cant decide which would be better lol!

well,i love the 17's too, but for me its a cost thing.....

i can do 1000 rounds in one go at the range if i get an early start. At .22 prices, thats not bad (not cheap, but not bad either) but at .17 prices, i would have to sell a limb or something.

im personally siding with a .22 purely for cost reasons.

If im in the field and need the extra power, flatter trajectory of .17, i shall wheel out the Remington 700 and put some .223 lead in the air.

Buy a cz style .22 synthetic stock with a stainless barrel/actoin, they are more accurate than a standard 10/22 and look the part once a mod is on and will group well all day, oh and they are probably the best value for money, I have put thousands of rounds through a brno (old cz) and a 10/22 and have now returned to the cz 452 style....

apparently (and some of the forum physacists will explain) a bolt action is a more accurate rifle due to the semi's need to cycle the next round, if you intend to do alot of range work you would be better with the "out of the box" accuracy of the cz without the price tag of the annie...

just my t'pence....

Garry.

Edited by gixer1

I went for a CZ452.

B/A is simple to use & maintain.

Once fired It's safe 'till you work the bolt.

Hardly any maintainance, cheap, easy to sell on.

Spent more money on quality glass plus b'creeks, ammo, bipod, gunbag, mod, spare mags, targets, deeks, mounts, gun care products, lightforce lamping outfit with dimmer & filters, leupold rangefinder, NV monocular, decent gun cab', a few shotties & air rifles, more cammo than I can wear & still had change for chips after lamping & a pack of baccy.

I'm thinking of getting a variation as well for a CZ HMR with the change from the chip shop.

Although I have the .17HMR cz not the .22, if it is similar it will be a great rifle. I love my .17 to bits. The only reason I could see for not getting a CZ is that everyone else does. But there is a reason that they do. Put the money that you save towards getting a better scope and you are sorted. :no:

Wow, ok guys, so i can see a CZ is winning in the stakes here....

was on the range today with a .22 Ruger 10 ( love em, but heavy trigger pull on this one and a few jams) and then a 7.62 Enfield Enforcer at 600 yards.

blatted 200 thorough the ruger. poor old target didnt stand a chance. Sadly there was no CZ in the armoury, so i didnt get to try one. Will see if my local gun shop has one i can "borrow"

did ok with the 7.62. not my best day, but after zeroing it ready for 600, all 50 rounds made the black, but i got a few 2's which is unusual. Was using electronic targets today that send back the location of your shot to a portable monitor. very cool and savesyou having to pay for a "marker" to patch up your targets.

Also most of my shots pulled right, in line with the bull which means i didnt adjust enough for windage. ( to be honest i didnt notice any wind and the flags were still, but nevermind. next time im sure the range wont mind if i send out a smoke grenade before i shoot! lol)

It appears the GSG5 i used was defective and has gone back to be replaced.

Im already thinking that i want my 22 to be my "cheap to run fun gun" (yes, ok, rifle for you perfectionists) and so far the CZ is winning, so one of those may wll end up on my ticket soon! Will let you know!

I might even try my luck and ask for a variation - 1 bolt action 22 for serious range use, 1 semi for not-so-serious range use.

Anyway, need to save my pennies - or sell the dog - before i can do that.

It's also a shame that I can't tell you about the rabbit shot by a mate of EE's with my 10/22 at 90 yards.

Double that, and maybe add bit too :lol:

Several others had already been shot at over 100 yards, it was a perfectly still eveing and I was resting in a high seat.

Confidence was high.

The rangefinder was in the car and neither of us could be bothered to walk back.

(I will of course confess to making all this up when the PW Police come knocking)

The killing field was re-visited last night, although the weather and the shooting was terrible I was able to ping these distances from the high seat, before we did the sensible thing and headed off to the pub.

So:

"Several others had already been shot at over 100 yards" were actually 132 yards

and

"Double that, and maybe add bit too" was 179 yards

Both measured with a Leica CRF900

In other words the first estimate was terrible but the second one wasn't bad :good:

It's also a shame that I can't tell you about the rabbit shot by a mate of EE's with my 10/22 at 90 yards.

Double that, and maybe add bit too :lol:

Several others had already been shot at over 100 yards, it was a perfectly still eveing and I was resting in a high seat.

Confidence was high.

The rangefinder was in the car and neither of us could be bothered to walk back.

(I will of course confess to making all this up when the PW Police come knocking)

The killing field was re-visited last night, although the weather and the shooting was terrible I was able to ping these distances from the high seat, before we did the sensible thing and headed off to the pub.

So:

"Several others had already been shot at over 100 yards" were actually 132 yards

and

"Double that, and maybe add bit too" was 179 yards

Both measured with a Leica CRF900

In other words the first estimate was terrible but the second one wasn't bad :good:

Yep, there is a huge amount of satisfaction in long-range bunny-bashing with a 22, but knowing the distance, or a range finder is a must. That reminds me, I must get a longer piece of string on the cork in my Gat......

I was impressed, but I will again stress that was not a heroic post just one of amazement, everything just came right that evening.

Scope is a simple, but excellent rimfire scope (IMHO) a Meopta 7x50 with a 4b reticle.

With a 50 yard zero I had to hold over to the point where the rabbit was sat on the fat post in the scope.

Not sure if I mentioned it further up, but the shots were taken shooting off my binoculars, not a bipod.