save alaskan wolves

I am very glad that you have signed an Anti petition!

The control of the wolf population in Alaska and the NWT is very important and has been undertaken to keep a balance between small prey.....mice, lemmings, ground squirrels.... and large prey.....moose calves, carriboo.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Alaskan, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut the landscape, it is very mountainous, well forested, and broken terrain. Running from the treed southern and middle portions to an area of scrub willow and tag alder and then to the barrens which are the snow covered plains of winter. This means that you are not going to just find an animal, "run it to exhaustion" and then shoot it.

Yes I am sure some of these wolves will be shot from the air, but this will be done as quickly as possible as the terrain will not allow you to follow them great distances. Most of these animals will be shot on the tundra. What the permit does allow those that it is issued to is to hunt the same day that they fly. It is a standard game law in Alaska and most of the NWT that you are not allowed to hunt the day that you fly, this goes for the pilot and passangers. To allow the hunters to carry out wolf management in an area where you may be covering 200 to 600 miles a day.

Alaska has a land mass of 571,951 square miles or 1,481,353 square kilometers. Nunavut has a land mass of 2,242,000 square kilometres. NWT has a land mass of 1,171,918 square kilometres. Yukon has a land mass of 483,450 square kilometers. The United Kingdom has a land mass of 244,820 square kilometers.

I am personnally not a fan of airial shooting but as it is used as a means to locate moose and bears for tranqualizing from the air for scientific studies, I see no differance from a tranqualizing dart and a bullet . In both cases the animal is pursued and shot, in one instance for scientific study in the other for management control.

I am sure that if it was checked into further that there would be a mandate or target number for the number of wolves harvested and the number of permits issued.

NTTF

Yes Fallow Buck both Canada and the US have a thriving fur industry.

Again it is about management leave the wolves too high and the carriboo and moose herds dwindle down to a point where they can not support the hunting of wolf and man. Leave them too high and they eat too much of the plant life which inturn starves the mice, lemmings, ground squirrels, hares, which inturn starves the wolves forcing them to prey heavily on the moose and carriboo , which creates a wonderful breeding session for the mice because of the food available. In turn you now have a crash of the mice, ground squirrels, rabbits from disease through over population starving the wolves...... a very viciouse circle.

The carriboo herds in the NWT, and Nunuvit Territories have had some very heavy loses in the past 3 years and harvest tag numbers are way down because of it. Again it comes down to management. I would also like to point out that within those land masses there is only 1 to 3 % of it that is accesable by road.

As I said I am not a fan of airial shooting but it is a management tool, the same as arial darting is in an area that you just can not drive or walk to.

NTTF

The control of the wolf population in Alaska and the NWT is very important and has been undertaken to keep a balance between small prey.....mice, lemmings, ground squirrels.... and large prey.....moose calves, carriboo.

Hasn't natural selection taken care of that for a few thousand years?

Technically you can't hunt Fox from horseback with hounds here anymore but you can shoot or put birds of prey to them with the aid of 2 hounds only!Open to wide interpretation! :good::good: Would it be possible that this decision to hunt from helicopters was influenced by wealthy Trophy hunters? No offence , I have no quarrel with the vast majority of highly ethical North American hunters, however rich tycoons and foreigners do pay premiums for heads!Maybe his has influenced he legislators?

When the anti's put a petition on a North American Hunters/Trapping Forum, "Save the UK's Pigeons, 1000's of these poor birds blasted out of the sky every week", let's hope they don't all pile in and sign up, eh! :good:

Technically you can't hunt Fox from horseback with hounds here anymore but you can shoot or put birds of prey to them with the aid of 2 hounds only!Open to wide interpretation! :good::good: Would it be possible that this decision to hunt from helicopters was influenced by wealthy Trophy hunters? No offence , I have no quarrel with the vast majority of highly ethical North American hunters, however rich tycoons and foreigners do pay premiums for heads!Maybe his has influenced he legislators?

not from my limited knowledge, it will be state wildlife organisations organising it, with the pure concern of trying to stop high predation levels of a migratory herd. Wolves much like foxes are top of the food chain and need to be controlled for the same reason. Very few sportsmen will hire a helicopter for the day to go wolf hunting just won't happen. Wolves are a touchy subject over there much like the ridiculous idea of releasing them in Scotland,

before supporting the anti's why not check out the other side of the coin,

http://protectmoose.com/index.php

Edited by al4x

Fallow Buck,

I am not arguing with you, I am trying to explain that with the area that needs to be managed, and the small amount of it that is assesable by road that arial culling is a management tool.

As to the laws on fox hunting in the UK I am very aware of them as I lobbied against them signing petitions and writting letters in support of the Hunts. If you look at it closely fox and hound was another valuable management tool accounting for many of the animals taken.

As to the idea that it was set up for trophy hunters, the trophy animals of the Territorries and Alaska include the :polar bear, grizzly bear, muskox, carriboo and moose and even if the wolf was included the sport hunter is not allowed to hunt the same day that he flys, he must wait until the following day. In some parts residents are allowed to hunt the day they fly but again it is not everywhere. This would decree that trophy hunters break the law by shooting from a plane or by hunting a wolf spotted from the air. I believe you will find that it is certain people that have been given permit to shoot from the air and I would believe that they work for the Alaskan Department of Fish and Game.

NTTF

I've had a look at the petition, and a couple of things struck me.

First, even assuming the numbers are correct, that must be one of the slowest "massacres" in history.

Second, what on earth is that ludicrous picture supposed to be? "Aw, aren't they cute and fwuffy!"

Looks like typical anti propoganda to me, designed to appeal to emotion rather than reason.

Robert

It beggars belief that members of a pigeon shooting forum are signing such a petition.........................They will be asking for guns to be banned next !!!!!

Why does it. Just because we shoot and are members of a shooting forum does that meen that we automatically have to support everything to do with shooting live animals.

I don't particularly like shooting foxes. I have done but i actually like them. On the 2 permissions i have they don't create a problem so they are left alone which i like. I never ever was a supporter of Fox hunting with hounds in fact i would probably say i did not agree with it but that does not make me an anti, just someone who has their own opinions regarding shooting and hunting.

Cheers :good:

Obviously, I am not against the hunting part of the equation NTTF, its the"Modus Operandi" I object to! For there to be such a problem with predation of Caribou etc, there must be for some reason, a imbalance of Wolf numbers, possibly caused by them moving to avoid persecution in other areas. Mother Nature is a great manager and normally equals out by supply and demand of prey and predators. I have probably shot more large mammals then most on here but I would never use a aircraft to do so. I remember reading how sickened the Kruger Park Rangers in South Africa were with the cull of Elephant familys by helicopter. Many finally refused to do it! I see the experiment in Yellowstone National Park USA, where they reintroduced wolves to regulate herds of Wapiti has been a great success. In fact ,it may be favourable in some peoples eyes ,that hunters do atually care about things conservation, other than just pulling the trigger!

Fallowbuck,I agree with you one hundred percent.I have hunted and shot foxes.I have also been watching a vixen cross one of my fields every day at around two o clock for this past three weeks,I would not even consider shooting her. Why?because she is not causing me or anyone I know any problem.What I hunt and shoot are animals which are causing problems for chicken farmers,sheep farms and pheasant clubs. I do not take any great delight in killing just for the sake of killing.

However I am dismayed at the attitude of some of the contributers to this site.No wonder there are anti's who no doubt watch this site.You guys are supplying them with all the ammunition they need to make life difficult for REAL sportsmen and women.

It is time this blood thirsty attitude is changed,there is no reason for that type of person to hold a firearm.When you guys are applying for your license do you state that you want it to shoot everything that moves?I dont think so.I even see that some of you even proport to support the BASC.WHAT WOULD BE THEIR READING ON THIS ATTITUDE.

I think that it is a disgrace that these wolves are being shot.No right thinking person can support this form of slaughter.Maybe the yanks are taking a leaf out of the Scotch authorities book?If this area is so unaccesable who would be hunting caribou etc there anyway?.

A wolf is a wonderful animal and should be treated as such.I have no doubt that the mighty dollar has his neb stuck in there somewhere.

Last year I attended the opening of a gunshop not 1000000 miles from here.A large screen played various videos for all to see.I for a few minutes until this grand chap stepped forward and shot a magnificent bull elephant.It nearly made me sick.I walked out and have never been back.

Take from this what you will.I have shot fowl and game and vermin now for over thirty five years and God willing will be able to do so for another thirtyfive.But I will never accept the attitude that anything that is not farmed for profit is fair game. :good:

The wolf introduction in Yellowstone has been a great success in controlling elk numbers in the park. However what you do not hear about unles you talk to the ranchers in the area are the number of sheep and cattle that have been killed aswell when the elk move into the high passes above the tree line in winter.

The area that we are talking about just does not allow the option of being able to jump in the truck, hop on the atv or take a stroll to hunt. You either fly, travel by water, horse, walk, in winter you can snow mobile and dog sled.

NTTF