tooth ache still !!!

myzeneye

just sat here delirious with pain in my face......

after my employer gave me an annual membership to a heath shield plan, i though id go and make the most of it...

went to the dentist 4 weeks ago as i had a few little niggles..... he said considering i hadnt been for years my gnashers weren't too bad.... however, obviously, i did need some work....

3 fillings to be precise.

had them done like a big boy and went away... few days later one of them was sending me through he roof every time i bit on something.... so i went back and he re-did it...

few days later, infection had set in and i was climbing the walls...... went back at the first opertunity and he prescribed me some anti biotics and told me i needed another filling which hadnt shown up on the x rays,although he had take many only days earlier :)

pills didnt work and after a few nights of pacing round ready to pull it with pliers i had to return.... he prescribed another course of anti biotics ...i went back a few days later and had the tooth filled.......

now, when in the chair this time i went a little peculiar.... im not the nervous type, nothing like that, but my heart was racing like a train.... i had to get him to stop for a minute till i managed to compose myself...... he told me thats the anaesthetics occiasionally have a "fight or flight " reaction depending on what blood vessel he injects them into....... i went home feeling a little embarressed and hoping it was all over.....

few days later, one of the other teeth he'd filled began presenting problems like the first problematic one.... he said that because they were so deep they were pressing on the nerves when i bit hard....... i also told him that the infection hadnt fully cleared and he prescribed another set of anti biotics.......

now, im half way through that course and the pain is just unfathomable.... im exhausted with it all, pacing up and down not quite knowing what to do with myself.... pilled up, reeking of cloves oil with a bag of hot beans pinned to my jaw........ the infection has spread to a gland in my neck.... im feeling pretty low to be honest...

im due back at the dentist tomorrow and i think ive managed to suss which tooth is behind the problem ...l think ill be demanding he extracts it.

trouble is, im not sure that the infections gone and ripping it out may make it worse, but ive GOT to do somthing......

my concerns are with the dentist..... he's a private one and is costing me a fortune.... do you think all the trouble im having is just bad luck or bad dentistry....:devil:

also, because its infection, my gob hurts top and bottom.... i cant pinpoint which tooth it is.... if i have the suspect extracted and thats not the culprit ill be sorry......my teeth were fine untill he began poking around and drilling them willy nilly....

i just cant belive in this day and age that dentistry is still so barbaric, crude and amounts to guess work....??/ im mean, if you cant tell them which tooth it is cos they all hurt on one side and they cant tell by looking,what is their approach ? wait till you claw your own face off ? or the thing goes rotten to the visible eye ? they just havent a clue.....

teeth are over rated nasty things...

lets see what happens tomorrow..... 11:05 am.... think of me....

Edited by myzeneye

well thats the conlusion id come to mate, but i thought my face ache may have clouded my judgment and i may have just been unlucky... but to be fair my gut instinct tells me ive paid him more than enough....got to be getting on for £200 !! ill see what happens tomorrow......

Buy some 'Corsodyl' mouthwash from the pharmacy or supermarket. :) I once had terrible pain from a wisdom tooth and was told to gargle with this stuff and it's magic!! Must have a local anesthetic in it or something...but it's way better than Ibuprofen etc for tooth pain! :devil:

Only problem with using mouthwashes and toothpastes that contain anesthetics is that you can't feel the pain of the toothache and may continue without knowing the damage being caused in your mouth.

Apparently dentists often have to pull teeth that could have been saved with a small filling a month or two earlier. Sensodyne toothpaste is one of the main culprits. As a short term solution though i reckon they are fine. Just make sure you get them checked out.

I feel for you myzeneye, there's nothing quite as bad as toothache. Maybe try another dentist.

i had a similar problem, never visited the dentist for about 10years, was about to leave uni so thought i should get it all done free before i finish. They managed to find a hole in one of my teeth :yes: (needless to say it had never bothered me before) so they drilled it out put an inlay into it, 3months later it fell out, stuck it back in, more work drilling taking molds etc glued it back in, guess what fell out again. So third time lucky stuck it in and its still there now but if it falls out again i'm just going to chuck it away :)

I can't empathise with the constant pain, but i know how annoying it is when they cock it up.

Never used to be bothered by dentists until she drilled my tooth out once without anaesthetic and hit a nerve :devil: I nearly hit the ceiling and gave her the what for (with a bit of french thrown in),i would love to have seen the faces on the patients in the waiting room :yes:

For the Last year I have been seeing the orthodontist's to get my teeth straitened, I have all the bottom teeth straightened out and so for about a week they all hurt as they were moving about, and every time they tightened the braces the pain started again. In the middle of August I am getting my top brace put in and I have got those Vampire teeth so its gonna hurt even more this time.

Prior to the braces being put in I had to have four teeth taken out, funny thing is I am totally **** scared of needles and when they were about to numb the area I was laughing my head off. 3 of them came easily out but the forth one he was having trouble and when the dentist was twisting and pulling it you can here it crunch and then it suddenly gave way. Obviously they took two out at a time two on each side so that I could eat.

£200 thats nothing to what I am paying I am paying mine is £2250

Df

cheers for th moral support...

went today, he said i needed the two he'd worked on (and charged me for) pulled out..... but after four weeks of strong pain killers i started on the anti inflammitorys last night....when i woke this morning i was in a right mess.... i felt like my gizzard was going to impload !!! seriously, i felt bad.... so when i told hime i just didnt feel up to it all today, he gave me another packet of anti bionics and told me to come back friday for extractions....

ive tried to lay off the pills today and the pain is bonkers... just bonkers......

dusty, at least when youve paid your cash youll have lovely teeth....ill look like ged clampit !!!

Definitely get him to pull it out :)

I've got a private rip-off dentist, because I can't get an NHS one. I had an abscess (sp) and a damaged filling that kept playing me up. The thieving scumbag quoted me £650 for root canal nonsense and a crown which might last a few years. I asked him how much for an extraction. £52 - job done. :devil:

Healthy teeth are now just for the wealthy in this country. I've not been to my dentist now for nearly 2 years and I believe that is becoming the norm in this country. I think it's scandalous, like something from the dark ages or the worst of the Third World.

Edited by Chard

I went to the dentists last year after cracking a tooth in a bike crash. He gave me a list of all these amazing cures and remedies he could do for unbelievable prices. I was in too much pain at the time to bother going through 4 months of moulds, root canal work and pointless polishing so just told him I wanted it whipping out.

He looked quite irritated at only getting to charge me £45 for an extraction instead of the £1280 he had quoted for all this other work. I had the gum injected to numb the pain and a few twists and cracks later it came out. I did manage to get my own back though as I promptly vomited blood and other stuff all over the floor from the aneasthetic the second he removed the tooth. :)

Myzeneye, it's your mouth and teeth so you tell HIM what you want doing. :devil:

How i sympathise, i had exactly the same sort of thing a few weeks ago, abcess, anti biotics the lot, the pain was absolutely diabollically unbearable.

After 3 weeks of taking painkillers ( 2 x co codamol + 1 x 400mg of ibuprofen) as prescribed by nhs direct, and members of pigeon watch ( bless you) i eventually had the tooth removed, i thought this would be the end of it, but joy of joys it wasn't.

The dentist ( butcher) broke the tooth, left a piece of root in my jaw and it developed another infection, more anti biotics / pain killers, and it looks like another trip to the dentists to get this piece out, unless it works its way out on own.

Best of luck fella

Sounds a bit savage :)

The problem I think with dentists is, They will try anything to save the tooth no matter how much discomfort it causes. If they take it out the bad teeth from every patient that comes into them - They would have little customers left (No Teeth = No work for Mr Butcher!)

Nothing worse than tooth ache and there's nothing worse tha people with mancy teeth. I pride myself on my teeth due the fact that I go for a check up every 6 months and have done so all my life. I don't smoke or eat sugary foods, clean my teeth 3 times a day and floss and have a clean bill of heath on my teeth at every check up. I pay £38 for a check up teeth and gums every 6 months

Some moan at the price of dentistry being expensive but we pay a car main dealer £60 plus and hour to twindle with a few nuts and bolts on our cars at service time

£38 for a teeth and gum MOT is cheap

Jonno

As a dental student, I read some of the posts on this thread in horror! I think there are a few misconceptions that need explaining to people about teeth and dentistry:

Tooth decay, gum disease, pain and losing teeth are NOT inevitable in most cases. Tooth decay and gum disease can be almost entirely be prevented by avoiding sugary foods and snacking too often, brushing twice a day and flossing, and not smoking.

Visiting a dentist every 6 months or so is very important. Early stages of tooth decay are asymptomatic ie. there is no pain, but are often clear to the dentist upon examination and x rays if necessary. Early gum disease can also be asymptomatic but is easily spotted by a dentist. The dentist also checks your mouth for signs of other serious diseases, such as oral cancer during a check up.

The purpose of fillings is to remove the decay from a tooth at an early stage (often when there is no pain), to prevent the decay spreading further inside the tooth and inflaming the pulp (nerve). The decayed tooth tissue removed by drilling and is replaced by a filling material (amalgam or 'white' usually) to seal the tooth up and prevent the decay from reoccuring in the same place. The function of the tooth is also restored.

It can be hard to pinpoint where the source of toothache is coming from inside your mouth. A tooth that feels like its hurting can often really not be affected, and the tooth next to it can be the source of the problem.

Constant burning pains from a tooth mean the pulp (nerve) is irreversably inflamed, and either needs removing and the space filling (root canal treatment) or needs extracting. There are no other long term options.

Extracting a tooth is seen as a last resort by dentists, especially if root canal treatment is possible on the affected tooth. It is simply not ethical nor considered in the patient's best interests to extract a tooth just because it sometimes hurts a bit and has a large filling in it. This is like amputating a finger because it has a cut on it. Unless the nerve is irreversably inflamed, or gum disease has caused severe bone loss around the tooth making it wobbly, extraction is not an option.

Every tooth extracted is one step closer towards the patient requiring dentures. Dentures are NOT something you want. You can only bite down with 1/10th of the force of real teeth wearing a pair of dentures for a start, plus speech and comfort are significant challenges.

Brad

Edited by beardy_bradderz

feel bad for all you tooth suffering brits, go around the world and see the reaction of dentists to good old UK national health work, after they pick their selves up from the floor laughing they proceed to right all the wrongs.

i had all mine (and the family) done prior to leaving the UK for Canada, thinking the price would kill me over here, when i got here i had the same problem getting aches from the repaired teeth, had a plan form the company kick in and went to the dentist, not only a good looker but a good doc as well, showed me all the faults in mine and the kids teeth, i was told horrror stories of brits coming over with the nashers all messed up. these guys think Britain is still in the dark ages as far as health cares concerned.

national health,,,,,,no thanks mate.

Martin.

Sounds a bit savage :P

The problem I think with dentists is, They will try anything to save the tooth no matter how much discomfort it causes. If they take it out the bad teeth from every patient that comes into them - They would have little customers left (No Teeth = No work for Mr Butcher!)

Funny you should say that my brother used to have a dentist and his name was actually Mr Butcher :good::good:

As a dental student, I read some of the posts on this thread in horror! I think there are a few misconceptions that need explaining to people about teeth and dentistry:

Tooth decay, gum disease, pain and losing teeth are NOT inevitable in most cases. Tooth decay and gum disease can be almost entirely be prevented by avoiding sugary foods and snacking too often, brushing twice a day and flossing, and not smoking.

Visiting a dentist every 6 months or so is very important. Early stages of tooth decay are asymptomatic ie. there is no pain, but are often clear to the dentist upon examination and x rays if necessary. Early gum disease can also be asymptomatic but is easily spotted by a dentist. The dentist also checks your mouth for signs of other serious diseases, such as oral cancer during a check up.

The purpose of fillings is to remove the decay from a tooth at an early stage (often when there is no pain), to prevent the decay spreading further inside the tooth and inflaming the pulp (nerve). The decayed tooth tissue removed by drilling and is replaced by a filling material (amalgam or 'white' usually) to seal the tooth up and prevent the decay from reoccuring in the same place. The function of the tooth is also restored.

It can be hard to pinpoint where the source of toothache is coming from inside your mouth. A tooth that feels like its hurting can often really not be affected, and the tooth next to it can be the source of the problem.

Constant burning pains from a tooth mean the pulp (nerve) is irreversably inflamed, and either needs removing and the space filling (root canal treatment) or needs extracting. There are no other long term options.

Extracting a tooth is seen as a last resort by dentists, especially if root canal treatment is possible on the affected tooth. It is simply not ethical nor considered in the patient's best interests to extract a tooth just because it sometimes hurts a bit and has a large filling in it. This is like amputating a finger because it has a cut on it. Unless the nerve is irreversably inflamed, or gum disease has caused severe bone loss around the tooth making it wobbly, extraction is not an option.

Every tooth extracted is one step closer towards the patient requiring dentures. Dentures are NOT something you want. You can only bite down with 1/10th of the force of real teeth wearing a pair of dentures for a start, plus speech and comfort are significant challenges.

Brad

Well said, When I went for my first checkup at the orthordontists he said to me "you have looked after your teeth very well considering the position's of teeth compared to others who open bottle caps with there teeth.

But you must admit there are some dentists out there that are dodgy.

None of which alters the fact that healthy teeth are now out of many peoples financial reach. We all know the goody-gumdrops stuff about no sugar but we're all humans.

You show me how a couple of hours work is worth £650 and I might start listening. Otherwise I'm deaf with bad teeth. :good:

I shudder to think what the state of this country's teeth is going to be in 10 years time.

And dental plans - don't get me started on that garbage. Pay £15 a month and you get a couple of free check-ups and hygienists visits. and - wait for it - 10% off other treatment!!!!

So your £650 becomes £600 - plus £15 a month - load of old cock. :good:

None of which alters the fact that healthy teeth are now out of many peoples financial reach. We all know the goody-gumdrops stuff about no sugar but we're all humans.

You show me how a couple of hours work is worth £650 and I might start listening. Otherwise I'm deaf with bad teeth. :good:

I shudder to think what the state of this country's teeth is going to be in 10 years time.

And dental plans - don't get me started on that garbage. Pay £15 a month and you get a couple of free check-ups and hygienists visits. and - wait for it - 10% off other treatment!!!!

So your £650 becomes £600 - plus £15 a month - load of old cock. :good:

Well would you want a job of looking into someones gob? Before you know it the patient your treating could be a psychopath or have a transmittable disease.

Then they have to pay for the assistants and receptionists then other bills as well.

If anyone is that bothered about the cost of dentistry in this country go to somewhere like Poland where it is cheaper.

Df