Is it worth swapping a CZ 452 style for a ruger 10/22?

gixer1

I was speaking to my local gunsmith and he was saying i could swap my cz 452 style (which is about 3-4months old) for one of the ruger 10/22, he has a few of the walnut model ones and i will keep the moderator, sling and scope off my cz and he said he will give me mounts for my scope to fit the ruger.

To be honest there is nothing at all wrong with the cz but i just fancy a semi-auto and the rugers are the pick of the bunch with all the aftermarket bits.

Your opinions are welcomed with pro's and cons...

Thanks,

Garry. (gixer1)

Edited by gixer1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one for the opposition, why would you want to swap a rifle for a toy?

I can see why the dealer is keen though - he is no mug :good:

I could not have put it better.Mind you having both would be tempting :hmm:

My first .22 was a Ruger 10/22 in 1979. It worked ok, but it couldn't shoot the kind of groups that my CZ can. Mind you, I wasn't using the subs then so that could be why is seemed less accurate. The CZ will shoot fifty yard, cloverleaf groups of a centimeter or a touch over on a good calm day with a rest, like off the top of the car. It isn't a glamorous kind of a gun, but I don't see it letting anybody down. Also, the ability to just pull out the bolt and clean with a rod from the breach end is good. Preserves the crown so they say - just repeating what I've been told there. The CZ doesn't make my heart beat faster like the Winchester 9417 I'm picking up later in the week, but it is a simple, workmanlike, reliable tool.

I must admit I have a weakness for rugged simplicity that may not be to everyone's taste(CZ rifles & Baikal shotguns) but my guns are used purely as workhorses: if I go through hedges in the rain so do they. Some of the tricked up 10-22s look gorgeous & too good for the likes of me :hmm:

Stick with the CZ. Yes, the immediate follow shot of the 10.22 is tempting, but when all is said and done, the CZ puts rounds on target. It's also a tool for a job. I do not feel the need to mod mine (other than the trigger that I have just done).

My old 452 is for keeps.

All the good 10/22's i've read about are so tricked nothing original is left.

My CZ modded a little though so I can talk.

Lighter stock, Timney trigger, 14" barrel, that's it, don't need any more.

I allso prefer the shot & safe 'till the bolts worked aspect of my CZ.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/D...EA/DSCN4954.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/D...EA/DSCN4953.jpg

My old 452 is for keeps.

All the good 10/22's i've read about are so tricked nothing original is left.

My CZ modded a little though so I can talk.

Lighter stock, Timney trigger, 14" barrel, that's it, don't need any more.

I allso prefer the shot & safe 'till the bolts worked aspect of my CZ.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/D...EA/DSCN4954.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/D...EA/DSCN4953.jpg

Jeez - that's short. Mine has a twenty four inch barrel. Not exactly handy in scrub, but then I'm not hunting wild boar with it, so if I don't get the barrel on target quickly enough, I don't get stamped into the ground and eaten.

UPDATE

Ok...i remember using my fathers 10/22 years ago and it was nothing like this piece of **** ......

I got the rifle yesterday and it is a nice looking thing, so i took it home, cleaned it and took it out for a test, i have tried both remington subs and winchesters and i cannot get a whole mag to cycle on either!!!!

I feel like i've swapped a £50 note for a 50p piece!

I also bought a butler creek 25 shot mag and i now have a pile of 14 rounds that are bent out of shape with trying to just load the rounds into the mag never mind getting the thing to cycle!!

I have been told stripping the standard 10 shot mag is a no-no due to the fact they are difficult to get back together.

What can i do to get this rifle working people????

Edited by gixer1

I feel like i've swapped a £50 note for a 50p piece!

That's the quote of the day for me!

Read post #5

I won't laugh as I don't want to add to your pain, BUT you asked the question, and there are about dozen "don't do it posts" and you still did it ???

Apparently if you spend about a grand on them they don't jam, well not all the time anyway . .

If you are interested in taking advice, mine would be take it back and get your CZ back, but if he has any sense he won't let you.

Seriously though give the mag a good clean and the chamber and extractors. Best to strip it all down and give it a really good clean.

Have a look at rimfirecentral.com its full of good info on how to strip components down and sort out problems.

It would be worthwhile replacing the extractors and buying a new ruger mag. also try a couple of boxes of HV ammo instead of subsonic just to get it working.

Don't despair, mine works a treat and they can all be made to do so.