shooting insurance

Mitch

Hi All

I have been a member of BASC over the past year but my shooting insurance cover is due for renewal, does anyone know of any good alternative insurance policies that will cover rough shooting, or should I stick with who I know, I require the usual £5million minimum liability cover and would assume most policies have this.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Cheers

National Gamekeepers Organisation costs £30 with £10 million for lawful shooting activities, but nothing else much.

Also check out the thread about trespassers of yesterday. There was a guy there saying that some other shooting organisation also included legal cover which BASC may or may not chose to cover in your case. One member in the thread had legal problems that BASC may well not cover, so he said.

This post is purely for information about alternatives. Each organisation offers different benefits and costs. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Country Cover Card is a new concept in country pursuits benefits, and it includes £5m PL insurance; 10h PA insurance and hospital benefit - all for just £19-95.

Its underwritten by ETI Munich, one of the big players in the travel insurance world.

The primary benefit of membership is that the card gives access to other discounted schemes, as well as discounts at online shops etc. Potentially, you can save more than the £19-95 premium by taking up other offers or shopping with the discounts offered, so you PL and country insurance could be free!!

Country Cover Card is a new concept in country pursuits benefits, and it includes £5m PL insurance; 10h PA insurance and hospital benefit - all for just £19-95.

Its underwritten by ETI Munich, one of the big players in the travel insurance world.

The primary benefit of membership is that the card gives access to other discounted schemes, as well as discounts at online shops etc. Potentially, you can save more than the £19-95 premium by taking up other offers or shopping with the discounts offered, so you PL and country insurance could be free!!

I work closely with the insurance world and ive seen some information about this so called country cover card and wouldnt touch it with a bargepole its all well and good until you need to make a claim then going through ETI and claiming on the basis that you need have to actually be at an "event" doesnt give you much leverage

stick to the UK underwritten policies and you cant go to far wrong! clayshooters are usually covered by the ground anyways

CPSA, BASC, CA, GKA etc PL covers are no different - they are all PL and PA cover while participating in the activities on the schedule - and do not include traveling to / from or any other circumstance.

With any claim, the burden of proof that the member was involved in participation at the event lies with the claimant.

The actual insurance component premium costs in the CCC3 cover are greater than that of, say the CPSA, as there are more benefits, Hospital and Medex in particular.

Why do you think an Insurance giant such as Munich ( who own DAS legal etc etc) would want to gain a poor claim payout history on one of their products? As with any insurance company, claims are handled through an independent FSA and insurance broker, and a loss adjuster appointed for fair play.

The product is lower end cost to the buyer only because it is based on the Online Travel Insurance concepts that do not support an HQ full of staff, a magazine, training costs etc etc. As a purely web based product, the membership subscription costs to the scheme can be cut right back for the benefit of the member, without any loss of quality in the insurance component.

I work closely with the insurance world and ive seen some information about this so called country cover card and wouldnt touch it with a bargepole its all well and good until you need to make a claim then going through ETI and claiming on the basis that you need have to actually be at an "event" doesnt give you much leverage

stick to the UK underwritten policies and you cant go to far wrong! clayshooters are usually covered by the ground anyways

Ok Thanks for that

You get what you pay for chummy.

It seems everyone in the UK has a story, 2nd or 3rd hand about the BASC insurance never paying out, yet no one can post the proof.

If you only want to show someone you have 'insurance' then go for the cheap deal. If you want to insure yourself use a proper organisation.

Good luck with your decision :yes:

LB

It seems everyone in the UK has a story, 2nd or 3rd hand about the BASC insurance never paying out, yet no one can post the proof.

If you only want to show someone you have 'insurance' then go for the cheap deal. If you want to insure yourself use a proper organisation.

Good luck with your decision :yes:

LB

hit the nail on the head!

If you only want to show someone you have \'insurance\' then go for the cheap deal. If you want to insure yourself use a proper organisation.

Good luck with your decision :good:

Yes, you do get what you pay for, but what is not realised is that within BASC CA or CPSA etc membership fees, only about 10% of what you are paying goes into the insurance component. Just as you can choose between Travel Agent/Airline travel cover at, say £30-00 for your holiday, or buy online for, say £10-00, does not mean that the quality of the underlying product is in any way inferior. What has been removed is all the \"add-ons\" that a direct Internet sale does not have.

If you want Registered shooting services, conservation officers, a magazine, and to support the offices at Bisley / The Mill, regional offices, company cars, directors expenses, and all the other things that go into the \"proper\" oragnisations annual budgets - then paying over £50-00 for cover you can obtain for under £20-00 makes total sense - but if all you want is the cover itself, then the CCC3 product, and others like it, offer real value for money.

To suggest the ETI Munich with a multi-billion £ turnover is in anyway not a \"real\" organistation is ludicrous. None of the other organisations, with the exception of the NGO in Ireland, are self insuring, all their insurances are provided by one of the insurance big players, RSA, ETI, NFU etc. In all cases these are bound by FSA regulations and have the ombudsman system to back them up. To suggest the quality of insurance obtained within CCC3 is inferior is simply wrong, what you do NOT get is a magazine, and other services offered by other organizations, and its an automated server driven system without an expensive office full of secretaries and assistants - thats why there is a price difference.

Edited by clayman

• 1 year later...

I was insured with BASC but they let me down when I needed them, I had my licence revoked UNFAIRLY, due to a knee jerk reaction from the local police owing to the political climate at the time, BASC refused to give me legal cover,( witch I had paid for) so I had to sort it out my self,after all the facts had been looked at my licence was reinstated, but I will not be using BASC again. I know that BASC have lots of satisfied customers but I just wonder how many of them have had a claim!!!! you don't no how good your insurer is until you make a claim, BASC refused to help me because they thought they would not win my case,they were wrong, I won my case and I'm not a solicitor.This is my personal experience with them, I am sure they do some good work , I just would not trust them again.

All insurance claims come past me so if you had an insurance claim I would know all about it

As with all such claims as this there is always 2 sides to the story, so if you wish I will launch an investigation - pM me your name and membership number or name and post code and I will investigate.

David

Turns out I'm insured twice! Through basc and the nra! I called um up yesterday and spoke to the membership guy he said I'm insured for anything I was doing legally with a firearm,be it at a clay ground,on the range,or in a hyde,or lampin rabbits or foxes,I was gobsmacked! Think ile let basc membership lapse as they seem quite expensive for what they provide,or maybe I won't I dunno!

I was on the verge of going CCC for mine but in the end decided to go with BASC. CCC do nothing to promote/protect shooting sports and conservation. That's not a criticism of them, they're an insurance provider pure and simple. As said above you pays your money....

.... plus BASC sent me a very nice hat!

CCC3 all the way m8y ..was with basc but just too expensive .. you get the same cover for 1/3 of the price you just dont get a glossy magazine sent in the post and you print yer own cover card or pay for 1 to be sent in the post ...very happy with the cover and all the land owners are happy too ... :yes:

Edited by bigbird2

.... plus BASC sent me a very nice hat!

I joined a couple of days ago so for £66 they better send me one as well when the paperwork comes through. :lol:

Got to admit that when I went last night to see Clive (very nice bloke) to join the Pigeon Shooting Club he just accepted the BASC email as a done thing, no "what's this then" "or who are these".

Edited by rodp