What would you do ?

MJN

Hi,

Yesterday at Copfurn someone had a live round in the chamber, but could not either fire the round or break the gun to remove it, what happened next ?

Is there anything one can do in the field if this happens.

I believe the trigger was not engaged to be able to fire the second barrel and the lever would not budge to open the gun.

As for me I would place gun in slip, handle thoughtfully and get it to a gunsmith ASAP and let him know the situation.

M.

Hi,

Yesterday at Copfurn someone had a live round in the chamber, but could not either fire the round or break the gun to remove it, what happened next ?

Is there anything one can do in the field if this happens.

I believe the trigger was not engaged to be able to fire the second barrel and the lever would not budge to open the gun.

As for me I would place gun in slip, handle thoughtfully and get it to a gunsmith ASAP and let him know the situation.

M.

i wouldnt move the gun until i had called my feo and got there addvice but if i was in the middle of knowhere and with no phone then i would have no choice but to move the gun :stupid:

Have seen this before, a long time ago. Resolution was that 1 person hold the gun pointing downrange. Another whacks the butt (the guns butt!) with either heel of hand or weighty object with layer of wood protecting the stock butt. If by yourself, at arms lenght with barrel pointing upwards and angled with the butt of the gun level with the ground, slam it into solid surface. From what I've seen, it's not much of an impact to release a trigger mechanism, or unstick a firing pin.

My old Browning wouldn't open one day. Turned it upside down and gave it a damn good shaking/pressing barrels into action, whilst applying a lot of force to the lever. It needed a new lever bolt, but it opened. This was without a live cartridge though.

This sharp shock was enough to unstick whatever was stuck inside.

If there is a good ol' jam in the action, then that may not be enough. Then I'd insert into slip and take to gunsmith asap, assuming that it doesn't go off with the vibration of the car!

Edited by Peter De La Mare

I would never attempt to remove a loaded gun in a case. I think if all else failed, I would call the police and ask for advice.

I note the advice just above on solving it. Looks like a working solution, but if it didn't work, I'd call in help or advice from the men in blue.

maybe your local gunsmiths phone number should be carried alongside your sg cert ..... im sure any decent gunsmith would understand your predicament if an emergencey situation arose and maybe, for a fair price, come out to where you are..... if your shoot aint local to your smith's, find out the nearest smith to your land and take his number....

obviously, if its the middle of the night, your ******** with that one, but if its resonable hours, it'd be worth a try......even if he were to simply talk you through some things to try, it'd be good for the nerves....

something ive never thought of before, but i guess this phone number would be more helpfull to carry than the police dopes.

hindsight is a wonderful thing...

That was my gun!

1. it was a Sunday so no gun smiths or help on call.

2. fortunately we knew the shoot was frequented by a couple of the local gun shop owners - the Essex Gun team got in there first, but not being "gun smiths" with the right tools were only able to assist in the sensible advice - we tried the whacking the end bit but nadda.

3. Broken Man offered to sand bag the end whilst I drove it home - if the gun won't break this appeared the most sensible thing to do, but as for "what next" I dunno - I wasn't that keen on having it in my house or driving it the next day anywhere (poopy pants car journey of the highest order).

4. in the end I resolved for brute force - Essex Gun held the top lever, Olly stuck his knee on the action and voilla. Tell you what though, it was a close call for a broken stock

Obviously whilst all this was going on the gun was pointing into a field.

EDIT:

To answer PDLM - no access into gun at all - locked shut well and truly. Only one screw visible on the action (with forend off) and that didn't do f'all.

EDIT EDIT:

Nice warranty claim - I get a whole spanking new version of the action gratis! Every cloud and all that....

Edited by Mungler

If there is a good ol' jam in the action, then that may not be enough. Then I'd insert into slip and take to gunsmith asap, assuming that it doesn't go off with the vibration of the car!

Doesn't bare thinking about. :stupid:

FM :hmm:

So, you wouldn't be able to secure a shotgun in a car whereby an accidental discharge would be contained?

I suppose it depends what materials you had available at the time, but something could be rigged up with the contents of most active males vehicles.

Edited by Peter De La Mare

Mung, you've been in the immediate vicinity of a few gun failures recently.

Are you a confused saboteur?

I blame lucky Dave. His gun, he fired both barrels and then the top lever went and the gun wouldn't open, but hey at least we knew it was safe.

He then borrowed my gun and the next time I picked it up - kerput.

Both went into Essex Gun today.

The Beretta Lucky Dave has, was sold to him by me (it was my first gun) - obviously the Mungler warranty expired after 10 minutes or the minute he took it home (whichever was the sooner). It's a multichoke 686 silver pigeon from 1985! That gun must have had some seruious use in its life - as my first gun I reckon it had 10,000 through it.... well anyways, it will be back on the road for probably somewhere between £60 and £100 (with a strip down and full service) and will probably see me out - the barrels are still spotless.

EDIT:

The breakages were a 686 silver pigeon and a blaser f3. And yes, Ray Charles could see where you are going with this, :stupid:

Edited by Mungler

We were going to give it the full Deer Hunter treatment.

£50 notes into a hat and taking it in turns dropping it butt down whilst sucking the barrels. Lucky Dave was up first but he didn't have the fifty. I said I could lend it to him and enough for half a dozen extra goes, but no joy

We were going to give it the full Deer Hunter treatment.

£50 notes into a hat and taking it in turns dropping it butt down whilst sucking the barrels. Lucky Dave was up first but he didn't have the fifty. I said I could lend it to him and enough for half a dozen extra goes, but no joy

ROFLMAO :stupid:

Had this happen twice, fire one barrel then try to open to reload, nope.

Lay gun over left arm, same arm operate opening lever, tap then bash butt with other hand, eventually worked.

First time just thought one of those things, second time took gun to a gunsmith for a service.

Reply was nowt wrong, just dry of oil.

No problem since.

The gun was new & oiled before every use & cleaned & oiled after every use.

From new the innards were not oiled or whatever.

Moral ?

Any signs of a problem take the gun for a service.