My FEO has me confused

njc110381

I had a call from my FEO today. I sent my SGC in for a change of address and it came back with the details of a shotgun I sold printed on it. He said it was ok, and their records show it's no longer mine so don't worry. I'm not too sure about that!

Also, he said that when I sold the gun I shouldn't have allowed the buyer to fill in a section on my SGC to say I'd passed the gun on to them. Nothing should be written on my documents about the transaction? He recons the form you send in to them is all that's needed?

Now, I don't have it with me, but I'm sure the certificate states the buyer should put their details on my ticket? Am I wrong, or are they (more likely IMO!).

When you transfer a firearm YOU fill in the buyers cert then notifiy the licencing authority by REGISTERD POST WITHIN 7 DAYS if you dont send the notification by registerd post YOU are brakeing the law,

Not sure about the registered post, when I applied for my license I was told that I could send it by any means, but it was my responsibility to find out if they had received it.

When you transfer a firearm YOU fill in the buyers cert then notifiy the licencing authority by REGISTERD POST WITHIN 7 DAYS if you dont send the notification by registerd post YOU are brakeing the law,

Not sure about the registered post, when I applied for my license I was told that I could send it by any means, but it was my responsibility to find out if they had received it.

You are both right. Basicly, they have to get it, (it could be by hand, carrier pidgeon, morse-code.. as long as they receive it) within a time span (I believe a fortnight).

Other than that, if you have an old shotguns details on your lience, I guess it's just best practice to get a marker pen and put a big line though it.

You are both right. Basicly, they have to get it, (it could be by hand, carrier pidgeon, morse-code.. as long as they receive it) within a time span (I believe a fortnight).

Other than that, if you have an old shotguns details on your lience, I guess it's just best practice to get a marker pen and put a big line though it.

Please dont send it by PIDGEON :good:

I deliver mine by hand and have a chat with them while I am there. :good:

Harry

I didnt want to go into detail but what the hell i sold a s/s to a old fella took him the notification to the firearms section at Leek Wotton handed it to a person from fire arms had them cheque certs filled in ok ,

During a recent investigation the police tryed to accuse me of selling the gun in properly, NO NOTIFICATION Even you Dirty Harry are brakeing the law by not sending it in registered that is the method layed down under the act.

I have posted this as i would not wish for any of you to go through a 3rd of what i have been through and still going through.

Please take heed

Edited by winchester

All the information required about transferrence of weapons is written on your certificates. The trouble is most people never bother reading it nor the conditions upon which certificates are issued. It is certainly worth ten minutes of your time, you'll be surprised what you'll learn.

Regards

P

if you sell a gun YOU fill in the details on the buyers certificate. he doesn't touch your certificate.

you inform your fad you have sold it.

the buyer also has to inform his local fad both within 7 days

always send details to fad's by recorded delivery. and keep your reciepts.

thats it.

follow this and you will have no problems.

I do mine by email. Just make sure you get a received receipt back and they say its fine - see below:

To: <

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 10:40 AM

Subject: RE: Notification of transfer of Shotgun

> You can inform us by email - just let us know the details of the gun and

> who you bought it from etc.

______

>

> From:

> Sent: 20 April 2007 08:57

> To: R Firearms licensing

> Subject: Notification of transfer of Shotgun

>

> Dear Sir/Madam

> >

> Last night I bought a shotgun. Can I make the notification of its

> transfer to you by email or do I have to do it by post?

>

> >

> Regards

>

> Gully>

>

> _______________________________________________

>

> Please visit us at http://www.herts.police.uk

> _______________________________________________

> The content of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error unauthorised use or disclosure of the e-mail and attachments may lead to civil and/or criminal proceedings. Please notify the sender if received in error and then delete the e-mail.

>

> Unless expressly stated to the contrary, the content of this e-mail does not represent the professional advice, views or opinion of Hertfordshire Constabulary. The sender of this e-mail is not authorised to negotiate or enter into any agreement on behalf of the Constabulary.

>

> Hertfordshire Constabulary may monitor all business and personal e-mails and by responding to this e-mail you consent to Hertfordshire Constabulary monitoring any e-mails you may send to or receive from the Constabulary=

Correct.

My FEO pointed this otu to me when the list of shotguns they had didn't match what was in my cabinet, I told I just stick them in the post.

(I had copies of the letters)

He was absolutely fine about it we re-did the list from the guns I had, but he did make the point that I should use registered post in the future.

Edited to add: this is beacuse TVP don't have an online system yet - as far as I know, if they accept email that would be miles better.

As others have said, your FEO is right.

My previous FEO managed to stuff up my list of guns spectacularly. I remembered thinking it was a bit dodgy when at renewal time he noted down the guns on a manky scrap of paper that was already covered in other guns/serial numbers. When I got my certificate there were some random guns on there that I didn't have (and never did have!), and one of mine wasn't on there at all! After insisting on checking every gun/serial number (and warning me about the penalties people can face if the list doesn't match what the police have :good: ) he ended up amending my certificate simply on the basis of a letter I wrote with the correct list on!

Anyway, when I sold a gun I filled in the certificate of the buyer as you are meant to and, to make it more obvious for Mr Scrap Paper at next renewal, I also crossed it off mine with a single line straight through it and noted 'Sold xx/xx/xxxx' next to it.

Next renewal time the FEO turned up with his piece of scrap paper again, and then told me off for writing on my certificate! :good:

Edited by alexm

My FEO gave me some transfer forms and on the bottom it said something like send by recorded delivery or notify by email all the details.

I have been emailing them and i checked with West Midlands Firearms dept and they said it was fine to do this. The only thing I don't like is you do not get a receipt to say they have it but the woman said don't worry this is normal. (I always keep a copy of the sent email)

When the FEO came to visit and check my guns he had copies of my emails with the transfers on and ticked them off as he checked them.

"I sent my SGC in for a change of address and it came back with the details of a shotgun I sold printed on it. He said it was ok, and their records show it's no longer mine so don't worry"

This sort of thing happens to me almost everytime i put my FAC in for a variation, the current state of play is that the Section 1 shotgun i have bought and informed them about is still in the 'Firearms authorised to purchase or acquire', not 'Firearms possessed' section on my new FAC but as its a new ticket Table 1 where the seller writes on the info is now blank so in theory i have a gun in my possession that is not shown as purchased on my FAC! :good:

There is a .223 rifle which i sold over 2 months ago and a .223 moderator which i sold with the rifle still in the 'Firearms possessed' section, so again, in theory, plod could come have a look in my cabinet and start quizzing me on where i've hid the rifle and mod! :good: Ah FLD's aren't they great!

Mark