Firearms Licence

jamesntam07

What conviction do you have? It's not that long ago so could be a problem if it was something reckless or violent. On the other hand, I have a charge of possession of explosives on my record, and I have a FAC! It really does depend on the details. Some minor convictions are ok, as are the more major ones if they were a one off and you've moved on.

All you can do is ask. They will refund your money if you are refused, and you can always re-apply in the future.

I could be wrong but I think I've heard somwhere that if you have been declined a certificate it would work against you if you re-apply.

Hopefully someone else might know more about this. If it's as suspected, it might be wise to stay with 12ftlb air rifles for a while till you can show you have become a much better person... depending of couse on the type of conviction you have. :oops:

I have a few

but not sure if they are counted of convictions as I was given warnings for a couple of them.

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO POINT OUT, JUST IN CASE ANYONE THINKS I AM A BAD PERSON. I WAS HANGING AROUND WITH THE WRONG CROUD WHEN I GOT THEM AND HAVE CHANGED COMPLETLY.

I have been arrested for;

handling stolen property

going equiped to steel

firearms ( air pistol in a public place)

Theft

riding a goped with no licence and no insurance.

I would also like to say that I regret everything I have done.

Hi James,

Sounds like you've been a bit of a nuisance there mate... I would say that you are going to have difficulties. I myself had a caution for a daft minor offence 18 months ago, and I do mean minor. This was brought up by my FLO when he came round and he wanted to know the full circumstances etc and gave me a quite a long talk about responsibility etc (understandably). I have no convictions and no other cautions, but it was made very clear to me that they take all criminal behaviour very seriously when deciding on your eligibility to hold firearms. In particular they look for a pattern of convictions / cautions over the course of your life. One 'out of character' incident is explainable and you would be likely to have no problems as long as it didn't involve violence. But in your case it seems there has been a fairly long history of shenanigans, including a gun related incident. It's just my opinion, but I think you would be refused. I would give the licensing dept a ring before you apply and explain the situation and see what their advice would be. BASC may also be able to help you (if you're a member). Good luck, but I would wait a while before applying if I were you. As has been mentioned further up the thread, if you're refused it makes it harder to get a cert at a later date.

cheers

SL

handling stolen property

going equiped to steel

Theft

i would say , forget it for about 5 years maybe 6.

a DP1 will cost you a tenner from the local police station.

Get it and start from there.

firearms licensing mangers are being told to tighten things up right now.

James

I think the fact that you've been honest and forthright on here goes to show in some way that you are a reformed character, and long may you remain so.

However, I'm sorry to say the theft and air gun convictions will heavily stand against you just now when they look at the sheet, and as others have said the two don't look good together, especially to give that person a shotgun certificate so soon after the offences were committed.

You have to declare all former convictions on the form, because if you don't and they find out then you can forget any license for good and could well be prosecuted.

Stay on the right side, we all make silly mistakes at times and hopefully yours are now behind you. As others have said you'll have to leave it for a minimum of five years and in the meantime, tighten your skills with an air gun and stay away from those people who you got into trouble with.

You don't say what age you are, but if you want to shoot, join the Army or Air Cadets, that will look good on your character and you'll have a great time. You'll also get a chance to play with some nice weapons. Failing that, go along to your local shoot and ask if you can help out, someone will take you under their wing I'm sure.

The very best of luck to you.

It's good to read that it sounds like you won't be able to get an FAC. Should think twice before pratting about in the public.

IMHO :good:

Bit harsh my friend, Wasnt so long back (well, 10 years) that me and a group of friends would regularly run around outside our local library building at night with BB guns playing airsoft. looking back I see how much **** we could have got in to, but at the time it seemed harmless.

Forget the license, find a club that will allow you to join. If you can do that and then stick at it and I'm talking about a few years, you could eventualy get one. show interest, abide by the law and keep a clean slate, who knows.

Friends of mine now won't even drink cause it will jeopardize there license. The rules are very tight and for good reason.

One step at a time mate, One step at a time.

J@ames you didn't get caught this guy did, it, inevitable he's going to receive criticism

Edited by urikastu

that ant far if you lose yours we can all laugh at you and offer no help then hay that ok?:yes:?:good:?:yp:?:lol:

Ferretman pretend your the FEO, you look on his criminal record Theft, gun crime, equipped to steal all this less than a year ago. You then go to his house to see him, he says "yes I did all that and I regret it, I have changed now". Would you just take his word for it or make him reapply in 5 years time to prove that he changed?

I have a few

but not sure if they are counted of convictions as I was given warnings for a couple of them.

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO POINT OUT, JUST IN CASE ANYONE THINKS I AM A BAD PERSON. I WAS HANGING AROUND WITH THE WRONG CROUD WHEN I GOT THEM AND HAVE CHANGED COMPLETLY.

handling stolen property

going equiped to steel

Theft

"AND OUR SURVEY SAYS...................!"

bygraves_duhduhh.jpg