Any birds on the rape yet?

Malc

There's a field of rape just down the road from my house that I saw loads of pigeons piling into this morning at about 7am. Its the first year I've seen it with rape, usually wheat.

Yes,

Gully's been watching the fields & not the road on his travels, but he's dead right, they've just started on the rape in our area, (Herts), in the last few days.

It's pretty much as I forecast a month or so ago on this forum as the acorn & beechmast crop is non-existent in our area, hence their early forays onto the rape, now that they've pretty much hoovered up what's been left on the stubbles.

I've got my eye on a nice little field that was literally blue with them at lunchtime today, should be good for 80 - 100 birds, will be there in a couple of days after I've let them build up for a bit, (unless garyb beats me to it..!! :good::) )

A word of advice for those not familiar with shooting over rape, you MUST make sure that all nearby fields are covered, either with other guns or banger ropes.

I'd be a rich man if I had a pound for every post on this forum that said "Arrived at the rape field early morning, had 2 shots, they cleared off and never came back", that's because you've not thought it through, they've simply floated across to another nearby field and fed there all day, completely unmolested.

You need to make sure all local fields are covered, one way or another, then you'll do well.

Cat.

Just as I thought. I've had no reports (from our 61 club members) of birds shot on OSR yet, but, we've had a few frosty nights lately and more stubble fields are getting ploughed in each day, so I'm expecting a few calls to OSR fields any time now....

I just wondered what was happening elsewhere in the country. Wheat stubble is the mainstay around here lately, but not for long I suspect.

hi guys,

the pigeons around here in south norfolk have been on the rape for several weeks now ive had several short outings and bagged a couple of hundred in the last week or two, all the stubbles are long gone around here most of the rape and the winter wheat and barley are about 3" high now.

i think the birds may become more difficult to get at as time goes by, there seem to be fewer pigeon shooters around here than there used to be, i've only started pigeon shooting again this year after a 15 year layoff, there seemed to be pigeon shooters everywhere years ago, i guess its the price of shells thats putting people off you used to be able to have a good days shooting for £10-15 of cartridges but now that amount of money only buys 1/2 the shells it once did, add that to the cost of diesel and it all gets a bit expensive. what do you guys think??

mikee

there probably are loads of shooters out there that can't get permission to shoot as one or two people have a lot of land. i know thats the case around my area. i have a small permission in cardiff but i live and work in cirencester now, whilst looking for a local farm to shoot on i came across a guy who has most of the farms around here to himself. but the nice fellow did offered me a days shooting for £150!!!!!!!!!!!! for a lot less than that i could drive back and forth cardiff every night of the week!

hi taff.

i know what you mean about some shooters trying to hogg all the shooting but on a couple of occasions lately ive asked farmers and been told "sorry but i have a guy who shoots them" and to that i answer "well, he's not down there now is he and there's plenty of pigeons eating your crops " and have been granted permission to shoot that day and have been given permission to shoot when i like, as well as the other bloke. and once ive been back to the farm and told them what ive shot , you need to make yourself available, when ive explained that its difficult for one shooter to cover large blocks of rape etc and more birds can be shot by several shooters they all seem interested in letting you shoot,

perhaps others should try this approach,

just not round here lol!!

mikee

Edited by mikee

i'm lucky in as much as i drive around a 150²mile area where i live and shoot for work and often take "not very short" short cuts between building sites so i can drive past any large blocks of rape in areas that i can shoot and any others that i cant shoot looking for pigeons and just ask at the nearest farm "are they your pigeons mate" and if not they soon tell who's land it is and where the farm is located.

mikee

They will be on the rape very soon. weather forecast for next week -2 - -4 degrees . very frosty in the mornings.

Then we will find them.

Dave K

Hmmm ??? , only downside to lots of frosty mornings is no wind, clear skies, high pressure??, just what we don't want for shooting pigeons.

And with high pressure, we could get fog,.......a good time to catch up on all of those little DIY tasks that the trouble & strife keeps nagging us about..?? :good:

Cat.

I have been shooting a field of barley stubble that has not been sprayed off and is full of chick weed .The pigeons have been going nuts fot it . Three outings so far 86, 48, and 63 . They are still going mad for it have left it four days and shall be having a go tomorrow . Harnser .