anti abuse

mikee

while out doing my calls today i stopped at a house having an extension built just at the same time as a team of beaters were walking through a field of sugar beet just the other side of the road, as they entered the small wood at the end of the field some pheasants came out and were shot at, within a few seconds the elderly owner of the property next door came rushing out screaming and shouting at the team of guns, he went absolutely bonkers, then he noticed me watching the shooting from the road edge, and boy did i cop for an ear full, ranting and raving about you "murdering *******, ****** morons". when i commented "you're not a shooting man then" he really flipped and started throwing conkers at me as well as ranting, which for the passers by this must have appeared comical even the builders i was visiting were hiding behind their van sniggering. after a minute or two of this the keeper came over and said something to him and he raced indoors not to be seen again. i dont know what he said but it had the desired effect. the keeper didnt say anything to me but he was fuming as he walked away, the builders said they have been here for 6 weeks and this is the 3rd time its happened, in over 30 years of shooting this is the first time ive ever seen any anti behavior.

any of you guys ever had any bad anti experiences?

mikee

I have only had one or two very mild run ins on the driven days. As anti abuse is all rather new to me I normally respond by being excessively polite. The older hands on the shoot are normally more direct and blunt and the air turns blue with the parting words being something along the lines of "you are trespassing now **** off".

It turns out someone I have known for 2 years is a real anti. The subject of shooting never came up with him before as I knew he was fond of racing pigeons. However as he lives in the country I thought I would ask very carefully worded if he knew any farmers that needed rats shooting.

I wish I never asked him!

He hates anyone shooting but the guy nearby he said was even worse when they used to have shooting nearby a few years ago, smashing up the hides they setup for duck shooting even damaging the guns cars!

I don't think I will try for any permissions near him he knows what car I drive.

my aunti and uncle are both very ''anti'' the crazy thing is there is a pheasant shoot literally surrounding there house. a few years back i asked if i could shoot a few pheasants in their garden and she went nuts

:good: ''NO! YOU CAN NOT SHOOT ''OUR'' PHEASANTS'' :hmm: was the reply.

my uncle also takes great plesure in pointing out that he went to a corprate clay shoot and found it easy to hit the clays, insisting that shooting real birds must be unsporting and therefore cruel. i tried to tell him that corprate days are desinged so you can hit the clays but you can't educate pork can you!

i've also got a boss who is ''anti'' but i think he's just anti-everything!!!!

We keep the antis occupied with a little chat about actions for trespass and private nuisance, and Section 59 vehicle seizures, while several of the beaters and farm staff deal with their vehicles. On the two occasions that we've had anti trouble to date, it culminated in the accidental firing up of slurry tankers, and creative use of telehandlers to move illegally-parked vehicles. Farmers 1, Hippies 0.

Personally i've not had any instance of anti hassle, (not that i do many hours live quarry shooting). Although i do wonder how many of these so called anti's are actually vegetarians? If it was 100% i'd be amazed. I believe must are thugs, and the ones that aren't big enough to be thugs are just the whiners.

i have only one, there is a small holding about 2 acres in the middle of my permissions, the went up to zero in my scopes on my falcon air rifle, was about 300 yards from the house and about 150 yards from their boundry and shooting away from this and after about 15 mins she came down the field to stop shooting as its cruel and my noise from my gun was upsetting penny her dog, i just smilled and said go away your tresspassing, funny thing was it was a falcon pairie 18 bull barrel with silencer and at the end of the day a air riffle how noisey is that

Well he is a bit of a numpty then. :drool:

Racing pigeons can be worth thousands and are someones property. No sportsman would go out of his way to ruin another mans sport.

FM

true, but without going into too much detail, the owner of the pigeons had threatened to kill the guy several times (due to another matter) before he took down the birds! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I had all my mole traps lifted and nicked,I am told by the local anti.I do not make a secret in work of what I do as a hobby and there are very very few people against.I am happy to listen to anyones arguments against fishing and shooting provided they are vegetarian. Otherwise you know their argument is hollow from the outset.

Never had trouble with anti's when shooting but almost got killed by these lunatics whilst fishing!

I was lucky enough to get into the England Disabled Fly-Fishing team a few years ago and a friend took me out in a boat to get some practice before an International Contest.

We had been out about an hour when suddenly the boat was pulled over sideways by a couple of guys with snorkles.

I used to be a strong swimmer but at the time I was confined to a wheelchair with leg problems.

Lucky for both of us the boat righted itself and we were able to scramble back in with no loss of life but a lot of lost tackle.

By the time we got back to shore the ratbags had made off in thier vehicles and no-one had seen them go. The police were called but there was very little they could do.

Since then I have been very wary of anyone who approaches me when I am out.

I don't move very far from my vehicle as I still have mobility problems and if anyone comes near, for thier safety and my own, I tend to break and unload the gun and put it in the motor out of reach.

I wont say that it would be great to come across these idiots who tipped the boat now that I have a shotgun and firearms certificats but I am sure you will all know what I measn.

Arthur