reloading - how economical?

Re-loading/hand loading can prove to be more expensive than buying factory ammo. Quite frankly unless you’re target shooting and using one hell of a lot I doubt you’ll find it worthwhile after buying all the kit, the makings etc. I think most hand loaders do it for improved accuracy but again unless you’re target shooting how much of a deal is it to gain a yard or two of extra point blank range and a ¼†tighter group? <_<

How much .243 ammo does your ticket allow to buy, to hold?

here are my rough calculations, please let me know what stupid stuff I have forgotten

Bullets - Nosler 55gr BT (20p each)

Cases - Remington 100 for £34.20 (34p each)

Powder - £40 for 1lb (22p per shot)

Primers - 3p each

Total = 79p

But cases are reusable...On that note, I have saved most of the 243 cases ive ever shot, have a bag of about 100, of about 3 or 4 types. Presumably I cant use these mix and match?

Incidentally, it looks like the big savings are with the expensive bullets. For example, 85gr barnes triple X rounds cost £37 for 20 from my dealer, but only cost another 4p from Midway. So that's £1 a shot saving, doesn't take a vast quantity of them to make your money back, but at the rate I shoot it would be measured in years not months.

BTW i can buy/hold 60/100

Edited by wannabefisher

I reload for a 243. Cost of basic kit is quite cheap 2nd hand at the minute. Are some start up costs but at some point in the future I'll pass the point where it starts to work out cheaper. Until then the advantages are :

1. Much more accurate ammo - you'll find the combo your rifle loves.

2. Convenience, I can make more when I need it.

3. Illusion of cheap - at 80-120+ quid for 100 rounds I don't have to stump up that much dosh if I want 100 hundred rounds.

4. Frees you up to do more load testing - don't feel as though you are firing pound coins down the barrel.

5. Future proofed for a quite while against price increases.

6. More faith in my ammo.

7. Fun! I love all the kit etc, gives you a shooting related hobby for when you can't get out and shoot.

8. Flexible - Can make the most basic or flashest round you want at any powder weight/energy/bullet type combo you want (within safe limits of course!) and everything in between. Need a light fox round, need a heavy sika round, need FMJ for targets ? - no bother, just get the heads and make them.

9. Consistent - can't always get the specific factory ammo you want from RFD.

10. It's satisfying to work through different combos until you hit the sweet load.

Just do it!

wannabe,

If you decide to reload, you will need to ask for your buy/hold allotment to be increased. Bullets normally come in 100's, and I doubt that you'll shoot all 100 before you want to buy another box, especially if you are doing any kind of load development with different heads. I'd suggest buy 200, hold 250 as a minimum.

Thanks,

Rick

Its like this, I cannot justify reloading on the basis of cost when I figure in the cost of the gear but especially my time but I do it because I like it, it produces fine ammo customised to my guns and when Its raining or i need a break from the wife, I can **** off into the garage and loose myself for a few relaxing hours. All Englishmen need a hobby and a shed lol.

:welcomeani:

Fister has summed it up perfectly.