List of vermin/game you can shoot

GJUK

GJUK

My understanding is that like myself you work in IT..

You must have heard of google? All these questions are so easily found with a few choice keywords.

Not wishing to cause offensive, but people will begin to label you a “numpty†and are unlikely to take you seriously if you keep asking things which are already within the public domain, and also readily available on the superb website of the shooting organisation in your signature.

GJUK

Hello.

My understanding is that like myself you work in IT..

You are, correct. :lol:

You must have heard of google?

Yes. :yes:

I know, I just thought I'd get a more definitive, dynamic answer on here. Maybe an "oh no you can't shoot them, they're endanged" etc...

Not wishing to cause offensive, but people will begin to label you a “numpty†and are unlikely to take you seriously if you keep asking things which are already within the public domain

Do I ask too many questions?

...also readily available on the superb website of the shooting organisation in your signature.

I did look on there, all be it briefly, I couldn’t find a list. Shame on me for being poor at using a computer.

Sorry if I ask too many questions, I'm just keen to learn. I find this forum the fastest way to do so. I do use Google, A LOT!! But meh, sorry.

Jon

Does anyone have a link to vermin/game you can shoot in the UK please. Listing everything.

Thanks,

Jon :)

For a person who owns a SGC and actively goes out shooting, you should have this list burned into your brain before you leave your house to go shooting.

Have you ever heard of the 'General Licence'? Do you know what it's for and what's on it?

For a person who sometime ago (before you got your SGC granted) told a 16 year old boy that you wouldn't want him shooting on his own, obviously because you didn't have any trust in him http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...834&hl=gjuk (second post) I have very little trust in you.

It is very easy to jeopardise shooting if you don't go out equipped with the knowledge and someone will report you if you shoot something you shouldn't. If you shrug that comment off, then take heed, I have reported people for shooting things that are illegal. (I am not accusing you of actually doing that, I am just warning you)

Get yourself a book to read, the BASC do a great book on shooting, Amazon and Ebay sell it, it tells you all the legal quarry, their seasons and gives you other advice. I read this book cover to cover about ten times before I ever had my own SGC.

Edited by harfordwmj

I know, I just thought I'd get a more definitive, dynamic answer on here. Maybe an "oh no you can't shoot them, they're endanged" etc...

The last place you'll get a definitive answer is on an internet forum. You'll get lots of advice and opinions but those opinions do not always align with the law. I'm not saying that anyone on here deliberately goes out to break the law or would intentionally give you incorrect info, but the law is complex at times and few are as well informed as organisations like BASC.

I'm not sure what a dynamic answer is, but taking it literally it could be an answer that is constantly moving or changing - and that IS something you can get on an internet forum!!!

Shouldn't we be trying to help fellow shooting folk, not trying to mock them??!

There is a big difference between helping those who have made an effort and ask sensible questions (yeah, yeah, no such thing as a stupid question :):yes: ) and questions which portray shooters in general in a bad light.

I've been jumped on before for posting this opinion, but please - (in the absence of a mentor/friend/familiy member to ask) there is so much info out there and a couple of hours on the BASC website or spent reading a book would prepare people so much better for going out shooting than asking daft questions on an internet forum. :yes::yes:

However, my main gripe is giving the impression on an open forum that there may be inexperienced shooters wandering around the coutryside who haven't a clue what they are doing or what they can or can't shoot. Promoting that sort of opinion to the media/general public is a sure fire, fast-track route to compulsory training/testing.

In my opinion, this isn't about "mocking fellow shooting folk" it's about protecting shooting as we know it.

Edited by Cushat

For a person who owns a SGC and actively goes out shooting, you should have this list burned into your brain before you leave your house to go shooting.

Mate, if I can call you that (i'm not sure). I've never been shooting on my own, ever. I've always been with a more experianced person. So don't assume anything.

Have you ever heard of the 'General Licence'? Do you know what it's for and what's on it?

Nope.

For a person who sometime ago (before you got your SGC granted) told a 16 year old boy that you wouldn't want him shooting on his own, obviously because you didn't have any trust in him http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...834&hl=gjuk (second post) I have very little trust in you.

Good. I'm sure you'll never have the requirement to ever trust me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If I recall I was commenting on his age/lack life experience. My opinion, so I'm right! You can disagree though.

It is very easy to jeopardise shooting if you don't go out equipped with the knowledge and someone will report you if you shoot something you shouldn't. If you shrug that comment off, then take heed, I have reported people for shooting things that are illegal. (I am not accusing you of actually doing that, I am just warning you)

I've shot 3 pigeons in my entire shooting career. With another more experienced shooter. Why the **** do you think im asking these questions. To upset people, or to make bloody sure I'm on the right side of the law?

Get yourself a book to read, the BASC do a great book on shooting, Amazon and Ebay sell it, it tells you all the legal quarry, their seasons and gives you other advice. I read this book cover to cover about ten times before I ever had my own SGC.

I will look at getting a copy of this book.

I'm getting annoyed with having to defend my questions on here. Bored maybe more than annoyed.

There is a big difference between helping those who have made an effort and ask sensible questions (yeah, yeah, no such thing as a stupid question :):yes: ) and questions which portray shooters in general in a bad light.

So how should I learn right from wrong in the shooting world? Trial and error? Should I pretend to know everything? Just attack things blindly and hope for the best?

I've been jumped on before for posting this opinion, but please - (in the absence of a mentor/friend/familiy member to ask) there is so much info out there and a couple of hours on the BASC website or spent reading a book would prepare people so much better for going out shooting than asking daft questions on an internet forum. :yes::yes:

You think my questions are daft, ignore my posts, please. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I find asking q2uestions on this forum a quick, easy way to find out information. I don't mind if you think im being 'special' for asking. I'll probably never meet you :hmm:.

However, my main gripe is giving the impression on an open forum that there may be inexperienced shooters wandering around the coutryside who haven't a clue what they are doing or what they can or can't shoot. Promoting that sort of opinion to the media/general public is a sure fire, fast-track route to compulsory training/testing.

In my opinion, this isn't about "mocking fellow shooting folk" it's about protecting shooting as we know it.

If you feel strongly about it, offer to take new people out shooting to show them the ropes.

Perhaps you should speak to the police about the lack of guidance you get, when you have a new SGC. It's basically. "heres a bit of paper, off you go, have fun."

There is no requirement to have any training. Yet I have out of my own pocket had 7 lessons with a person at a clay grounds (at a cost of £30 a pop) BEFORE I bought a gun. I have paid for lessons out 'in the field' with an experianced shooter at quite a cost. I've done this three times now also.

I'm again getting bored of replying like this.

*gives up*

Why do people get so caught up in all of this? The guy only asked for a list of vermin/game he can shoot...........

And as for knowing every single thing you can and cannot shoot before leaving the house is going a bit far isnt it?:yes:

I cant tell the difference between a Jake Snipe and a Common Snipe.......... i think you can shoot one and not the other......... but why should i need to know that.... im not planning to shoot any! I do know what a wood pigeon and a rabbit looks like tho! :)

Yes, you can call me mate if you wish.

Three very important documents you should read thoroughly:

Quarry and their seasons and exceptions. http://www.basc.org.uk/media/quarry_id_new.pdf

England General Licence. http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/conservat...L%20Gen-L05.pdf

FYI, The general licence is issued at the beginning of every year and covers a vast array of different subjects on things that need killing. For example, the one that you should read above, is to do with the killing of pest avian species which cause damage and spread serious disease. There are others, which are not really applicable to you or I.

Finally and most important: Firearms Law: http://www.basc.org.uk/media/ho_guidance.pdf if you aren't sure about the law, it'll be in there.

I don't want to come across as being heavily critical, I am just making sure that you can understand how a little understanding of how the SGC and FAC owners have to walk on eggshells to avoid bad press which is constantly bearing down on us.

Glad to hear you're getting that book, it's a good read and you'll lean a lot from it.

Why do people get so caught up in all of this? The guy only asked for a list of vermin/game he can shoot...........

The issue isn't how it's perceived by others on this site, but by anyone who stumbles across this place (media/general public etc) - PW topics show up in Google searches for example.

GJUK - sorry to hijack your thread and didn't mean to single you out in this. I'm just very aware that those not involved in shooting and who don't know the full story can get the wrong end of the stick (i.e. you didn't mention in your original post how much effort you had gone to with lessons, mentor etc. I didn't know that, so neither would they if they'd just read your post in isolation).

It's way too easy for a member of the media to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5, and before you know it there's a story splashed all over the papers about how SGC holders don't know what they can and can't shoot and that we need tighter gun control. Just what we all need!!!

I'm not against newcomers to the sport asking questions at all, but a bit of thought into how the question is phrased would make a huge difference to how it could be understood/misunderstood by others.

Its been suggested here recently that a newbie section is set up which would allow newcomers (such as myself and others) to the sport to ask questions and those more experienced can happily answer/advise instead of coming down on them like a ton of bricks to the point of ridiculing them. Keep the questions coming; better to ask that make a wrong assumption. Ive found answers with links to be best as it allows us newbies to away and research etc. If your an experienced fieldsman and get annoyed with what you perceive to be dumb questions then remember you didnt know it all when you started out.

I think that maybe people are losing sight of the fact that without questions posted, the forum would just be full of people discussing what they had for tea.

On a forum if a question annoys you why not just ignore it?

I am sure that the treatment sometimes given to people asking questions on here makes the shooting world look far worse to googlers than the question itself!

I'm all for people asking questions of so called muppetry before they do something regarding shooting than after. :)

Take for example the numpty on here a little while back who couldn't tell the difference between a grey partridge and a grouse having just been taking shots at what he thought were grouse in a grassy field and nor did he care as long as they were on the 'list'. That's the type of people we want to worry about.

FM :yes:

Being a newbie, I can see that side of the issue, but I can also appreciate the other -

When you were learning to drive, you read the highway code to understand road signs etc. And if you had your licence to drive and started asking where you could drive and what speed you could do, people might worry

It's all too easy to just ask on a forum in this age of "Give me the information now - I want it handed to me" - that's a bit strong, but you see my point? After 50 people asking the same thing it must get annoying at times.

Maybe some stickies or a dedicated newbie section with links to areas on the BASC site and tips on finding out information on your local police information source?

Masson

I totally agree with your post, exactly my feelings.

I suppose what I find hard to comprehend is the fact that people join BASC use the BASC logo on their signature but can't be ***** to spend a little time researching the website of the organisation they have spent their hard earned cash joining. I rather think that some sections of the population have lost the ability to think for themselves and have become lazy in a I want it now manner. I blame modern education but then I'm an old **** who has always enjoyed reading and researching every little bit of info I can find on guns and shooting.