Semi-autos: Beretta vs. Benelli

brno223

I'm in the market for a 12 bore semi-auto shotgun, either the Beretta Urika 2 or the Benelli M2.

I'm leaning towards the M2 - because of the simplicity of its inertia system - but I get the feeling that it can be more finicky than the Urika about the cartridges it will handle. The US web site states that, as a minimum, 3 dram 1-1/8th oz loads should be used. And I've been told that I should stick to 70mm shells. In your experience, is this the case? If so, I guess that 28gm 65mm loads are out of the question for the Benelli. Will they cycle the Beretta? The Beretta site says the gun will handle 24gm loads but doesn't specify case length.

Cheers & TIA,

Steve

Having recently faced a very similar choice dilemma I opted for the Benelli SBE2 against the Beretta Xtrema2 in the full knowledge that the Benellis are not designed to fire light loads.

What ultimately influenced my choice was the light weight and agile handling characteristics of the Benelli which better suits my style of shooting.

Not that the Berettas are clumsy, but they are noticeably heavier than the Benellis.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Nick.

The softest shooter is the Browning, the Beretta tends to be the most popular for clayshooting ,the Benelli has a lousy trigger pull and is overpriced but will be easier to clean.

I would go for the Beretta it's been my choice of semi auto for over 20 years.

I suppose I had better put my tin hat on now :good:

I dont think you will be disappoined with either gun, but I opted for the Benelli Montefeltro. I liked the idea of fewer parts required. I always follow "simple is best" and the benelli inertia system is simple and clean. The last Beretta I owned had a problem with recycle and I sold it. I had to have an inch cut from the spring. Research the issue on the net and you will find folks line up behind one or the other fairly evenly. The handling of the Benelli is great and I had one failure to feed. It was from a bag of old cartridges and was a paper Baikal at least 15 years old. All the rest of this old bunch went with no problem. The shooting ground where I bought the gun was very happy to let me do 25 DTL before I bought. Second hand of course.

My M2 cycles anything and everything i've ever put in it (once it was ran in - 200 carts. :yes: ), including Eley First which are only 24 gram AND 65mm, i've also had Gamebore Super XLR 21 gram cartridges through it without a stoppage :good: Any time and expense you have running in an M2 you're going to make back up in cleaning the Beretta, swings and roundabouts.

Both are good guns, just get the one you think looks best! :unsure:

Mark

Ok guys, thanks for your replies which have helped me immensely.

As I said, I was leaning towards the Benelli. But...

The need to run it in has become apparent, and it could take me over a year to shoot ~200 shells because mostly I shoot rifles. Also the iffiness with 65mm cases is a big factor. However I do like the simplicity of the action, and just like the look of the gun :good:

The Beretta seems to need a tad more TLC than the Benelli but that's not a major thing. The main factor is its tolerance of a wider range of cartridges, which includes my preference - 28gm or 30gm in a 65mm case. Also it's a lighter gun (according to web site data) - 6.6 lbs as against 7.1-ish for the Benelli - and that's an issue after I've spent a few hours tramping around the shoot during the season.

So the Beretta Urika 2 (prolly synthetic) it is. And perhaps it will encourage me to shoot a few clays.

Once again, thanks for your replies.

I certainly like the look of Benelli myself, the M2 having caught my eye.

Browsing their web site I don't see an easy way to compare the various models though. Would anyone know what advantage there might be in spending the extra to get a SBE, or perhaps a Crio, or conversely just go for the Montefeltro?

I certainly like the look of Benelli myself, the M2 having caught my eye.

Browsing their web site I don't see an easy way to compare the various models though. Would anyone know what advantage there might be in spending the extra to get a SBE, or perhaps a Crio, or conversely just go for the Montefeltro?

That was where I started - the M2 is, to my eye, a better looking gun than the Urika - much slimmer fore-end. But it doesn't handle the range of cartridges that the Beretta will.

If you are saying that the Benelli line is confusing, I agree with you - I'm not sure why there is such a range of guns.

I would stick with the M2 myself. The SBE seems to be aimed at wildfowlers.

Edited by brno223

I got a new M2 on Saturday = looked at a few Berettas and other semi and still plumped for the M2.

As for the shell issues once you get those sorted you are fine.

I stuck a couple of boxes of 32g Pigeons through it first not jam at all.

Moved over to just cartridges CSP 28g nothing but trouble.

Luckily had a few boxes of Eley Firsts (24g) and First Lites (21g) and they are went through without a problem.

Yesterday I got a slab of Eley Blues (26g) so I'll give them a whirl on Saturday.

Having owned both here is my advice:

If you want a dynamic shotgun (handling, weight distribution etc) then get the Benelli. They are picky with what carts they will cycle.

If you want a very reliable shotgun that will cycle anything then get the Beretta. They don't handle as well as the Benelli and feel heavier due to weight distribution.

I' only thriteen, my dad and i both shoot, i recently recived a Bereta Urika 2 Synthetic With Kick-Off for Christmas. It took 24g 65mm cartridges the first time i used it. I was in the same position, the benelli u have still got to strip it down to clean. I don't know where u are, but i brought mine new for £945 from Derek Lee's in lincolnshire.

I sold my Beretta 391 teknys and bought a Benelli M2 the next day, the better of the two in my opinion .............. the Benelli M2 by a mile ??? , smoother, lighter to swing, less cleaning, cycles anything I stick in it, do I regret selling the Beretta .............. no. :lol:

Benelli V Beretta

They are owned by the same firm but to me its a no brainer having used both, the M2 is hands down a better gun, I would never sell mine, handles 28g & never fails, the comfortec stock is also excellent, I would say the the Winchester SX3 is better than the Beretta for the same money if you cant run to the M2.

N